Buying used/Certified series

Old January 23rd 09, 04:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Buying used/Certified series

I've just walked away from a deal on a used 2006 330i from a third party
used dealer. The car was in very good shape, and $25.5k CDN$ wasn't bad
(I think) but the $300 "admin fee" which doubled when I wouldn't finance
through them was insulting.

Now I'm looking at BMW themselves, and their "Certified Series". It looks
to me like this is very close to them being willing to treat a used car
as if it had been bought new, in terms of protection and quality and the
like. It seems intriguing, and perhaps worth the $3k to $4k premium over
the third party dealers.

Anyone know what their "Protection Plan" encompasses? It doesn't really
get into it, and I'm looking to avoid talking to a salesperson until I'm
set and decided. Is it bumper-to-bumper? Powertrain only?

I've seen warnings that the 6yr protection plan is so good that the sales
people are generally very unwilling to haggle on a price. Does that bear
out?

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
Old January 23rd 09, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Jan 23, 8:37*am, wrote:
> I've just walked away from a deal on a used 2006 330i from a third party
> used dealer. *The car was in very good shape, and $25.5k CDN$ wasn't bad
> (I think) but the $300 "admin fee" which doubled when I wouldn't finance
> through them was insulting.
>
> Now I'm looking at BMW themselves, and their "Certified Series". *It looks
> to me like this is very close to them being willing to treat a used car
> as if it had been bought new, in terms of protection and quality and the
> like. *It seems intriguing, and perhaps worth the $3k to $4k premium over
> the third party dealers.
>
> Anyone know what their "Protection Plan" encompasses? *It doesn't really
> get into it, and I'm looking to avoid talking to a salesperson until I'm
> set and decided. *Is it bumper-to-bumper? *Powertrain only?
>
> I've seen warnings that the 6yr protection plan is so good that the sales
> people are generally very unwilling to haggle on a price. *Does that bear
> out?

You may want to do some reading|:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Default.aspx
Old January 23rd 09, 05:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

bfd > wrote:
> You may want to do some reading|:
>
> http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Default.aspx

Thanks, I couldn't find that on the Canadian site, and incorrectly
assumed the US would be the same.

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

Certified Technicians Cari Dodge 0 July 27th 06 05:53 PM
Certified Technicians Cari Chrysler 0 July 27th 06 05:52 PM
Buy new car or certified used car [email protected] Technology 9 August 10th 05 03:35 PM
Certified Pre-Owned Useless Lorne Dyke Audi 8 July 28th 05 03:21 PM
buying a Saturn-like buying a lottery ticket misterfact Saturn 3 July 2nd 04 10:02 PM