check engine light on 528 99 wagon

Old December 10th 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
GBS

Default check engine light on 528 99 wagon

Hey all ! I have the check engine light come on from time to time on
our wagon lately and I finally got the peake tool... I ran the code
tool as soon as I got it and the check engine was not on but I still
had two codes, cleared them and now nothing. then today the check
engine came on again and I used the tool and no codes came up.. what
could be causing the check engine light come on and no codes ? Also
resetting the check engine light did not clear it.

any ideas appreciated !

thanks !
Old December 10th 08, 04:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
GBS

On Dec 9, 8:30*pm, GBS > wrote:
> Hey all ! I have the check engine light come on from time to time on
> our wagon lately and I finally got the peake tool... I ran the code
> tool as soon as I got it and the check engine was not on but I still
> had two codes, cleared them and now nothing. then today the check
> engine came on again and I used the tool and no codes came up.. what
> could be causing the check engine light come on and no codes ? Also
> resetting the check engine light did not clear it.
>
> any ideas appreciated !
>
> thanks !

oh and the tool I used was a Peake R5/FCX II
Old December 10th 08, 05:58 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"GBS" > wrote
> Hey all ! I have the check engine light come on from time to time on
> our wagon lately and I finally got the peake tool... I ran the code
> tool as soon as I got it and the check engine was not on but I still
> had two codes, cleared them and now nothing. then today the check
> engine came on again and I used the tool and no codes came up.. what
> could be causing the check engine light come on and no codes ? Also
> resetting the check engine light did not clear it.

1) The SES light came on because something is wrong.
2) Clearing the codes will turn off the light, but not fix the problem.
3) Any tool but the GT1 diagnostic computer is not able to read BMW
engine-specific codes, and is basically useless for all but the most basic
OBD codes.
4) The most usual problems that the SES comes on for is a) loose
gas cap, b) dead O2 sensor.

FloydR

Old December 10th 08, 03:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

GBS > wrote:
>Hey all ! I have the check engine light come on from time to time on
>our wagon lately and I finally got the peake tool... I ran the code
>tool as soon as I got it and the check engine was not on but I still
>had two codes, cleared them and now nothing. then today the check
>engine came on again and I used the tool and no codes came up.. what
>could be causing the check engine light come on and no codes ? Also
>resetting the check engine light did not clear it.

Well, what were the codes you got?
And does the Peake read all of the BMW codes? Lots of the readers do not.
--scott
Old December 10th 08, 04:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
GBS

On Dec 10, 7:14*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> GBS > wrote:
> >Hey all ! I have the check engine light come on from time to time on
> >our wagon lately and I finally got the peake tool... I ran the code
> >tool as soon as I got it and the check engine was not on but I still
> >had two codes, cleared them and now nothing. then today the check
> >engine came on again and I used the tool and no codes came up.. what
> >could be causing the check engine light come on and no codes ? Also
> >resetting the check engine light did not clear it.

> Well, what were the codes you got?
> And does the Peake read all of the BMW codes? *Lots of the readers do not.
> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

This tool is suppose to read all codes for BMW including generic
ones... the codes I had before clearing them is written down somewhere
else but I remember it was breaklight switch and one more code, none
of those made the check engine light come on but now that it is there
is no code (

Floyd, I tried the gascap and have heard about the O2 sensors but this
tool is suppose to find all codes and its odd that its not... also the
check engine is intermittent which leads me to think its gascap... I
had the gascap replaced and no change but could there be something
else with the cap or neck of tank ?
Old December 10th 08, 05:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Dec 10, 8:37*am, GBS > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 7:14*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
> > GBS > wrote:
> > >Hey all ! I have the check engine light come on from time to time on
> > >our wagon lately and I finally got the peake tool... I ran the code
> > >tool as soon as I got it and the check engine was not on but I still
> > >had two codes, cleared them and now nothing. then today the check
> > >engine came on again and I used the tool and no codes came up.. what
> > >could be causing the check engine light come on and no codes ? Also
> > >resetting the check engine light did not clear it.

> > Well, what were the codes you got?
> > And does the Peake read all of the BMW codes? *Lots of the readers do not.
> > --scott
> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> This tool is suppose to read all codes for BMW including generic
> ones... the codes I had before clearing them is written down somewhere
> else but I remember it was breaklight switch and *one more code, none
> of those made the check engine light come on but now that it is there
> is no code (
>
> Floyd, I tried the gascap and have heard about the O2 sensors but this
> tool is suppose to find all codes and its odd that its not... also the
> check engine is intermittent which leads me to think its gascap... I
> had the gascap replaced and no change but could there be something
> else with the cap or neck of tank ?

One question - how many miles on your car? O2 sensors usually need
replacing between 60-100K miles. Since your car is a 1999, you should
probably be in that range. Have your O2 sensor tested, bet that is the
problem!. Good Luck!

Btw, for more on O2 sensors, go he

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...gen_sensor.htm
Old December 10th 08, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
GBS

On Dec 10, 9:13*am, bfd > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 8:37*am, GBS > wrote:

> > > Well, what were the codes you got?
> > > And does the Peake read all of the BMW codes? *Lots of the readers do not.
> > > --scott
> > > --
> > > "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> > This tool is suppose to read all codes for BMW including generic
> > ones... the codes I had before clearing them is written down somewhere
> > else but I remember it was breaklight switch and *one more code, none
> > of those made the check engine light come on but now that it is there
> > is no code (

> > Floyd, I tried the gascap and have heard about the O2 sensors but this
> > tool is suppose to find all codes and its odd that its not... also the
> > check engine is intermittent which leads me to think its gascap... I
> > had the gascap replaced and no change but could there be something
> > else with the cap or neck of tank ?

> One question - how many miles on your car? O2 sensors usually need
> replacing between 60-100K miles. Since your car is a 1999, you should
> probably be in that range. Have your O2 sensor tested, bet that is the
> problem!. Good Luck!
>
> Btw, for more on O2 sensors, go he
>
> http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...oxygen_sen...- Hide quoted text -

I'm thinking so too, it only has 55000 miles on it but its that or
gascap... the tool should tell me which O2 though, does normally the
pre catalytic or post go first ? I'm thinking I'll call Peake, perhaps
my tool is busted..