Ford's "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler?

Old November 21st 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
CWLee

Default Ford's "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler?

I just learned that the 2010 (and perhaps earlier) Ford
Explorers, and other Ford models, have what Ford calls
"Easy Fuel" capless fuel fillers. As near as I can
tell, instead of unscrewing a cap, one inserts the gas
pump nozzle into an opening which automatically moves
aside for fueling, and immediately closes when the
nozzle is withdrawn. So far, no problems.

I also learned that one can buy a locking cover, to
protect your gas tank from someone siphoning gas out.
However, Ford says on one of its websites that it is
almost impossible to siphon gas out, due to a second
"one-way valve" on the tank where the filler attaches.
That sounds OK to me too.

Here is the potential problem I'm wondering if any of
you have faced. The website also suggests that gas can
be placed into your tank ONLY with a properly sized
nozzle from a gas pump. Suppose you run out of gas,
and need to add gas from a plastic 2- or 5-gallon gas
can? Can one do it, or does that second "one-way
valve" deep into the filler keep the gas from entering
the tank?

Has anyone here been successful in adding gas (other
than at a gas station) to a Ford which is equipped with
this relatively new device?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Old November 21st 09, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I have locking gas caps on both of my Dodge vans.
I don't think Ford's ''Easy Fuel'' capless thingy is such a ''Bright''
idea.Suppose some creeps want to put whatever kinds of crap into those
capless fuel tanks?
Pouring fuel from a small gasoline container into capless fuel tanks
should work ok.If not, Ford has screwed up!
cuhulin

Old November 21st 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain[_5_]

CWLee wrote:

> Here is the potential problem I'm wondering if any of you have faced.
> The website also suggests that gas can be placed into your tank ONLY
> with a properly sized nozzle from a gas pump.

Gas pump nozzles have been like that for years, ever since unleaded gas
came in. The pump nozzle for unleaded gas is smaller than one for
leaded gas so you can't put leaded in by mistake.

They also make gas cans nozzles 'unleaded' size and gravity gets by the
internal 'valve' I have even seen those one way anti siphon 'valves' as
a simple coil spring inside the tube.

Mike
2000 Cherokee Sport
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
Old November 21st 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 21, 2:46*pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> CWLee wrote:
>
> > Here is the potential problem I'm wondering if any of you have faced. *
> > The website also suggests that gas can be placed into your tank ONLY
> > with a properly sized nozzle from a gas pump. *

> Gas pump nozzles have been like that for years, ever since unleaded gas
> came in. *The pump nozzle for unleaded gas is smaller than one for
> leaded gas so you can't put leaded in by mistake.
>
> They also make gas cans nozzles 'unleaded' size and gravity gets by the
> internal 'valve' *I have even seen those one way anti siphon 'valves' as
> a simple coil spring inside the tube.
>
> Mike
> 2000 Cherokee Sport
> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> 'New' frame and everything else in '09. *Some Canadian Bush Trip and
> Build Photos:http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

_________________________

I see this "capless filler" as a GOOD example of NASCAR making it's
way too far into public life.

And something else enters my mind when I think about Ford's new
innovation - it starts with the letter "f" and ends in smoke...

-CC
Old November 21st 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

Mike Romain wrote:
> CWLee wrote:
>>

>> Here is the potential problem I'm wondering if any of you have faced.
>> The website also suggests that gas can be placed into your tank ONLY
>> with a properly sized nozzle from a gas pump.

> Gas pump nozzles have been like that for years, ever since unleaded gas
> came in. The pump nozzle for unleaded gas is smaller than one for
> leaded gas so you can't put leaded in by mistake.
>
> They also make gas cans nozzles 'unleaded' size and gravity gets by the
> internal 'valve' I have even seen those one way anti siphon 'valves' as
> a simple coil spring inside the tube.

My 67 Barracuda had a quick-fill chrome cap that you opened by pressing
on the release on the side and flipped it open. That was certainly "
"boss." My mother 70 Barracuda had the filler located behind the spring
loaded license plate holder. That was "not too cool." I'm glad that
they're trying to make gimmicky gas fillers again.

Old November 21st 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

dsi1 > wrote:

>My 67 Barracuda had a quick-fill chrome cap that you opened by pressing
>on the release on the side and flipped it open. That was certainly "
>"boss." My mother 70 Barracuda had the filler located behind the spring
>loaded license plate holder. That was "not too cool." I'm glad that
>they're trying to make gimmicky gas fillers again.

Agreed. The current Ford system is definitely "far out." Since the
current generation of gas cans has a nozzle specifically designed to
fit like the filler nozzle on the pump, I don't see that it would be
any issue. "Totally wicked" quick-fill systems should function in a
"groovy way" with the modern cans.

There are some old cans out there that don't have a long nozzle on
them, just a short spout. Those would work with cars designed for
leaded gas, but when unleaded came along the modern narrow nozzle
standard came out specifically to prevent "hodads" from pouring
leaded gas into a car designed only for unleaded.
--scott

Old November 22nd 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Agreed. The current Ford system is definitely "far out." Since the
> current generation of gas cans has a nozzle specifically designed to
> fit like the filler nozzle on the pump, I don't see that it would be
> any issue. "Totally wicked" quick-fill systems should function in a
> "groovy way" with the modern cans.
>
> There are some old cans out there that don't have a long nozzle on
> them, just a short spout. Those would work with cars designed for
> leaded gas, but when unleaded came along the modern narrow nozzle
> standard came out specifically to prevent "hodads" from pouring
> leaded gas into a car designed only for unleaded.
> --scott

That's "bitchin!" The truth is that people are going to think they're
really cool by not having to remove that gas cap and placing it on the
trunk or holding it like the rest of us "gremmies."

Do people still have those old gas cans? Do we still have to worry about
pouring leaded gas into cars designed only for unleaded? What a
"bummer." :-)

Old November 22nd 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
CWLee

As the OP I thank you guys for your comments and
speculation. Let me try to focus the responses a bit.

First, I don't think the diameter of the gas pump
nozzle or the gas can nozzle is the issue - the problem
I'm concerned about is the length. The Ford website I
consulted implied that the gas pump nozzle goes
sufficiently far/deep into the filler tube to
engage/open the inner valve - and that ordinary gas can
nozzles or funnels are not long enough to allow gas to
flow.

Second, I'm mostly interested in hearing from people
who have actually added gas from other than a gas pump
into a recent model Ford that has one of these new
devices. Speculation is interesting, but I'd really
like to hear about some first-hand experience.

Again, I do appreciate what has been posted so far, so
please don't take offense at my desire to redirect the
flow more pointedly.

Thanks.

Old November 22nd 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I have quite a few very old timey/old style gas cans.I do use one of
them for lawn more gas, because I like them better than the plastic gas
cans.I am old fashioned.
cuhulin

fuel filler enigma RichD Driving 100 May 13th 09 03:21 PM
Carter is the only company that makes "in fuel tank" fuel pumps for the 1997 suburban [email protected] Technology 7 October 20th 07 12:46 AM
"valve" or "button" in diesel fuel filler tube? jtaylor VW water cooled 7 August 13th 06 02:46 AM
Chrome Fuel Filler Cap 90 Miata bayman2222 Mazda 2 June 17th 06 02:26 AM
fuel leaking from fuel filler Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 March 29th 05 11:12 PM