info on limp-in mode

Old January 11th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default info on limp-in mode

i have a 94 chrysler new yorker. it is in limp-in mode, i took it to
two dealerships both said it was the solenoid.. so i put a brand new
one in.. that did not fix it. ok, so i replaced the input & output
speed sensors, no fix.. so i replaced the transmission control relay,
no fix. well after reading all day and not getting any work done.. i've
come to my next try, the TCM, called the junk yard and they quoted me
$50.. not bad. someone did tell me to try that. i was wondering if any
one had any ideas or maybe you'd know something else.. the other odd
thing was... after trying all this i hooked it back up to get the codes
and it is still saying its the solenoid... (there is a brand new one in
there)???? thanks in advance for any help
~~audi~~

Old January 11th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Agreed. I recently had a problem with my trans. I found a CAA/AAA
approved shop which had a good reputation and IIRC are a member of the
Beter Busines Bureau. They read my computer for free. They had the car
for about a day, and must have put at least 3 hours into it. But the
bill was $205 for the solenoid pack, and $95 for labour. Add the taxes
and that was less than $350, and included a fluid and filter change
with the proper Chrysler Fluid (NOT Dexron III with Lubguard).

Have a look around. There are honest trans shops out there.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:43:06 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"

Old January 12th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

thanks.. that was my 1st try.. took it to 2 tranny shops (both with
good reputation). <i won't take any vehicle to a place unless i've
heard great things about them, usually all work is done by myelf or my
husband>... both shops said the computer was reading bad solenoid, and
they could do it for $400.. well i didn't really have $400 to shell out
at.. so we bought a brand new one, put it in.. computer is still
reading bad solenoid.. that doesn't make much sense to me, unless my
computer is screwed up, right?? my husband as "patient" as he is
throwing some tools when that didn't fix it..so i kindly told him,
better to have wasted $200 doing it ourselves then having wasted $400
at shop to do the same thing.. sorry but i guess i'm prideful when it
comes to working on my cars (maybe cuz i'm a chick) if i can do it
myself.. great.. i don't really trust other people. i don't really want
to pay labor for a shop to try all different things when its just
cheaper to do it yourself (if you can)... Daniel... i do think thats
may be my next step.. have some fun with slege hammers on a piece of
crap car...everyone i've read about having problems with this limp-in
mode has easily fixed it... thanks for the input any feedback
helps.. honestly if the comp is not reading the codes wrong... maybe
the solenoid was not correctly conneted.

Old January 12th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

wrote:
> thanks.. that was my 1st try.. took it to 2 tranny shops (both with
> good reputation). <i won't take any vehicle to a place unless i've
> heard great things about them, usually all work is done by myelf or my
> husband>... both shops said the computer was reading bad solenoid, and
> they could do it for $400.. well i didn't really have $400 to shell out
> at.. so we bought a brand new one, put it in.. computer is still
> reading bad solenoid.. that doesn't make much sense to me, unless my
> computer is screwed up, right?? my husband as "patient" as he is
> throwing some tools when that didn't fix it..so i kindly told him,
> better to have wasted $200 doing it ourselves then having wasted $400
> at shop to do the same thing.. sorry but i guess i'm prideful when it
> comes to working on my cars (maybe cuz i'm a chick) if i can do it
> myself.. great.. i don't really trust other people. i don't really want
> to pay labor for a shop to try all different things when its just
> cheaper to do it yourself (if you can)... Daniel... i do think thats
> may be my next step.. have some fun with slege hammers on a piece of
> crap car...everyone i've read about having problems with this limp-in
> mode has easily fixed it... thanks for the input any feedback
> helps.. honestly if the comp is not reading the codes wrong... maybe
> the solenoid was not correctly conneted.

Hi...

Not a mechanic, just an retired old electrical guy, so take my
suggestion for exactly what it's worth

Seeing you don't mind digging in and getting your hands dirty,
wonder if you thought of taking the connector off and closely
examining it. Look for corrosion, dirt, a bent pin, a wire
broken near the connector in such way that the wire inside could
be broken (from flexing) with the insulation still intact.

A good flashlight and perhaps a magnifying glass comes in
handy here. And for the wires at the bending points, try
bending them individually with your fingers, look for a
"soft" spot.

Might be worth trying before you perhaps needlessly put more
dollars into it.

Just my less than 2 cents

Take care.

Ken

Old January 12th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

This is a case where you absolutely need to have the right equipment.
You also have to be sure of what is wrong.

As the guy at my shop said to me when I tried to press him:

"Just because the computer reads Code 41 'bad solenoid' does not mean
that is the problem. The problem could easily be the solenoid, but it
could also be the wiring, or it could be a bad computer. Please let us
do a proper diagnosis so you wont have to come back later and have it
fixed again at additional expense."

Words to live by! and very convincing I might add.

In my case it was indeed the solenoid pack, and I must say the trans
has never worked better! It shifts faster and quiter, nice and tight.
I never owned the van from new, but I would say it is as good (or
better) than new.

Having said that, you do appear to have mechanical skills. In todays
computerized cars this is often not enough. Think computer! Your
transmission computer set a code for a bad solenoid pack, and has
switched into limp mode. If you change the solenoid pack, then do
nothing to the computer, then it will think that nothing has changed.
I do not believe that removing the power will clear the code (worth a
try maybe?). Use the correct tool to reset the computer and tell it
that all is, supposedly, OK now.

Chances are the shop that read the computer can use their diagnostic
tool to clear the tranmission computer codes. Then you can drive for a
while and see if limp mode returns. If is does not, then you guessed
correctly. If limp mode comes back, then you guessed wrong, and will
have more work to be done - either by you or by the shop.

Pride is all fine and good, but some battles are not worth fighting -
and there is no shame in that.

Keep us posted.

On 12 Jan 2006 07:01:26 -0800, "

Old January 12th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

ken, new man... thanks so much.. a friend of mine did sugguest maybe
some wiring problems... i think thats the biggest pain in the butt..
*computers* and electrical mumbo jumbo... i believe they have minds
of their own..sometimes.hahaha. yes.. Newman after replacing the
solenoid, we took it to the shop to hook it up to the computer they
used their thingy to reset it... didn't fix it... my brother-in-law
reset the computer where he works.. and that's when it was still giving
he code... he seems to think that there's a separate solenoid for the
overdrive.. do you know anything about that??? thanks for the help

Old January 13th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Well I do admire a preson who gives it the ol' college try.

I am afraid that, other than my observations and experience from the
"cusotmer" side of the service counter, I do not have any direct
experience tinkering with a transmission. Now I am a brave and gutsy
kinda guy, but even I wont wrestle with a transmission. They are a
breed all their own, and new technology has NOT improved them from the
servicing point of view. I liken a good transmission mechanic today to
what a good carburator technician was 20 to 30 years ago. If you find
one that knows what he is doing, then they are worth their weight in
gold!

At some point you have to ask what your time is worth, and what the
inconveinience is costing you. If you have another vehicle to get you
around, then fine - put the sucker up on blocks and hack away at it
until it is fixed. If, however, you are like me - I NEED my van. I
have a family to haul around in it on a regular basis, and I cannot
have it down for more than a day or two. The inconveinience factor is
just way to high. Besides, if I "fix" something improperly and it
breaks, I am out of luck. If a shop fixes it and it breaks, that is a
no charge warranty repair! Cheap insurance for a repair like this,
IMHO.

Please keep posting to update us, as I am just a curious as you are
about what is wrong.

On 12 Jan 2006 12:53:29 -0800, "

Old January 13th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Reputable independent transmission shop?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> i have a 94 chrysler new yorker. it is in limp-in mode, i took it to
> two dealerships both said it was the solenoid.. so i put a brand new
> one in.. that did not fix it. ok, so i replaced the input & output
> speed sensors, no fix.. so i replaced the transmission control relay,
> no fix. well after reading all day and not getting any work done.. i've
> come to my next try, the TCM, called the junk yard and they quoted me
> $50.. not bad. someone did tell me to try that. i was wondering if any
> one had any ideas or maybe you'd know something else.. the other odd
> thing was... after trying all this i hooked it back up to get the codes
> and it is still saying its the solenoid... (there is a brand new one in
> there)???? thanks in advance for any help
> ~~audi~~

95 Chrysler Cirrus- Overheating, Limp mode roncole56 Chrysler 2 August 5th 05 12:52 AM
Transmission limp mode rkm Dodge 12 October 15th 04 12:49 AM
93 Caravan Transmisson goes to Limp mode LateNight Dodge 18 October 1st 04 05:51 PM