Turn Signals

Old December 14th 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Turn Signals

C.H. wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 06:17:27 -0800, N8N wrote:
>
> > So you admit to driving aggressively while bemoaning the fact that people
> > are still killed on our highways every year? Just go kill yourself now
> > and make the world a better place.

> Ah, nothing like still being baited by that little prick LBMHBF after so
> many years
>
> Every time I stay away for a while I hope against hope when I return, that
> the people in here finally started quietly ignoring this assclown and
> every time of course I hope in vain.
>
> There is nothing whatsoever gained by arguing with people like that. You
> won't make yourself look better (arguing with a moron makes you look like
> one too) nor him worse. It won't make you feel better nor him worse.
>
> What you are doing, in essence, is touting his drivel, because the only
> way he can get this message out to countless people is to provoke others
> into answering, making it look like he has a valid point that deserves to
> be argued. And every time you or someone else in here answers that stupid
> moron, dozens of people see his drivel, who otherwise would not have seen
> it because of the miracles of filtering technology.
>
> Chris

Amen to that!

Harry K

Old December 14th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote: <brevity snip>
> The term also explains that "you might get into my lane but you ain't
> gettin' ahead of me" mentality that leads people to close the gap and
> prevent your maneuver, should you be so polite as to not only use your
> turn signals, but use them in announcement rather than commemoration.
> -----

All very observant and well said. Poetic, practically...
-----

- gpsman

Old December 15th 05, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>,
gpsman > wrote:

>Arif Khokar wrote:
>> gpsman wrote:
>>
>> > Oh, and BTW... your mirrors need adjustment.

>> No, yours (probably) do. My setting eliminates blindspots. Do yours?

>No, and neither do yours, no probably about it.

How would you know? He's not driving a semi, you know.

>And most assuredly the
>appearance of a headlight in your mirror does not ensure your
>clearance. No probably about that either.

Sure it does. Unless you've got a big spike on the front of your
vehicle, forward of the headlights.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 16th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Arif Khokar wrote:
> Harry K wrote:
>
>> Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

>>> Do a search for "blindzone glare elimination mirror adjustment" and
>>> read up
>>> on it, it's one of the most useful side mirror adjustments that a
>>> driver can
>>> use.

>> As well as being the one (the only one) pushed by traffic and driving
>> schools and manuals.
>> And yes, if he can see headlights of a close vehicle in the adjoining
>> lane in his left side mirror from his normal driving position, his
>> mirror (at least that one) is adjusted close to correct.

> Actually, for the car I drive, the method works for both sides. Also, I
> was referring to only one headlamp visible in the side mirror and none
> in the rearview. Using that as a marker doesn't work in all vehicles
> though. In most other vehicles, I use 2 headlamps in the side mirror as
> a minimum.
>
> It really comes down to how far out one adjusts the mirrors. I've
> detailed the method in past postings, but one can refine it by adjusting
> the mirrors slightly inward to minimize those smaller blindspots between
> the FOV of the rearview and FOV of either one of the sideview mirrors
> that can result from the default adjustment. Sometimes, adjusting the
> rearview mirror slightly to the right or left can also compensate for
> any gap as well.
>
> But, I guess that gpsman is like many drivers I can whose face I can see
> in their drivers side exterior mirror while I'm behind them at a stop
> light.

I have the mirrors adjusted like that on my Camaro, and it works great.
No more blind spot and turning my head every lane change. However, my
BMW has convex mirrors with the driver's side angled outward so I can
have them aimed so I can see the sides of the car, which is useful when
I'm pulling a trailer, but still minimize the blind spots.

Ulf
Old December 17th 05, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Ulf wrote:
> Arif Khokar wrote:
> > Harry K wrote:

> >> As well as being the one (the only one) pushed by traffic and driving
> >> schools and manuals.
> >> And yes, if he can see headlights of a close vehicle in the adjoining
> >> lane in his left side mirror from his normal driving position, his
> >> mirror (at least that one) is adjusted close to correct.

> > Actually, for the car I drive, the method works for both sides. Also, I
> > was referring to only one headlamp visible in the side mirror and none
> > in the rearview. Using that as a marker doesn't work in all vehicles
> > though. In most other vehicles, I use 2 headlamps in the side mirror as
> > a minimum.
> >
> > It really comes down to how far out one adjusts the mirrors. I've
> > detailed the method in past postings, but one can refine it by adjusting
> > the mirrors slightly inward to minimize those smaller blindspots between
> > the FOV of the rearview and FOV of either one of the sideview mirrors
> > that can result from the default adjustment. Sometimes, adjusting the
> > rearview mirror slightly to the right or left can also compensate for
> > any gap as well.
> >
> > But, I guess that gpsman is like many drivers I can whose face I can see
> > in their drivers side exterior mirror while I'm behind them at a stop
> > light.

> I have the mirrors adjusted like that on my Camaro, and it works great.
> No more blind spot and turning my head every lane change. However, my
> BMW has convex mirrors with the driver's side angled outward so I can
> have them aimed so I can see the sides of the car, which is useful when
> I'm pulling a trailer, but still minimize the blind spots.
>
> Ulf

A benefit that I have never seen mentioned to having them adjusted
'wide' is that in that position, lights from following vehicles do not
shine in the driver's eyes. I can even cure the tailgaters lights in
the inside mirror by adjusting it up a bit. Then I only have to raise
my head an inch or so to check behind me.

Harry K

Old December 19th 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Around 12/16/2005 7:20 PM, Harry K wrote:

> [major snippage]

> [major snippage]
>
> A benefit that I have never seen mentioned

/me Taps Harry's shoulder and points up at DWR Jr.'s quoted text.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.