Turn Signals

Old December 12th 05, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Turn Signals

Arif Khokar wrote: <brevity snip>

> I have yet to see someone who has successfully blocked me out.

You haven't driven enough miles, son.

> Oh, and btw, if I can see one of your headlamps in my side mirror, I know I can get
> in front of you.

Oh, and BTW... your mirrors need adjustment.
-----

- gpsman

Old December 12th 05, 06:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

gpsman wrote:

> Oh, and BTW... your mirrors need adjustment.

No, yours (probably) do. My setting eliminates blindspots. Do yours?
Old December 12th 05, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Arif Khokar wrote:
> gpsman wrote:
>
> > Oh, and BTW... your mirrors need adjustment.

> No, yours (probably) do. My setting eliminates blindspots. Do yours?

No, and neither do yours, no probably about it. And most assuredly the
appearance of a headlight in your mirror does not ensure your
clearance. No probably about that either.
-----

- gpsman

Old December 12th 05, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

gpsman wrote:

> Arif Khokar wrote:

>>No, yours (probably) do. My setting eliminates blindspots. Do yours?

> No, and neither do yours, no probably about it.

No, there are no blindspots large enough to hide a car with my setting.

> And most assuredly the
> appearance of a headlight in your mirror does not ensure your
> clearance.

It most certainly does. I've tested it using another parked car. The
distance is about 1/2 a car length. Note that when I originally said
suitable gap, I meant 2 headlamps visible in my rear view. If someone
decides to close the gap after I start signalling, I know I have till
only one headlamp is visible in my side mirror before I run out of
clearance (hence the original remark).
Old December 12th 05, 12:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend, > was motivated
to say this in rec.autos.driving on 11 Dec 2005 17:02:54 -0800:
> I do that all the time if the creep that wants to change lanes is a big
> SUV.

Yeah, that sounds like sonething you'd do. Have you killed any children
with that maneuver yet, you bloodthirsty ghoul??

Old December 12th 05, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> Saw this one last week.
>
> Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the
> guy
> beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
> lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The
> original
> schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.
>
> Now, do you wonder why people don't use turn signals? The fellow would
> have
> been much better off to just wait until there was room, and change his
> lane
> without telling anyone, and that's why so many people do it.
>
> And do you suppose any cop _ever_ gives a ticket for the hurry-uppers?
> Probably not, as nobody seems to live in fear of doing it.
>
> Dave Head

This is how it is in Chicago. Exactly why no one uses lane change turn
signals any more..

Old December 12th 05, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Dave Head wrote:
> > Saw this one last week.
> >
> > Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the guy
> > beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
> > lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The original
> > schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.

> I do that all the time if the creep that wants to change lanes is a big
> SUV.

So you admit to driving aggressively while bemoaning the fact that
people are still killed on our highways every year? Just go kill
yourself now and make the world a better place.

nate

Old December 12th 05, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"gpsman" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Arif Khokar wrote:
> > gpsman wrote:
> >
> > > Oh, and BTW... your mirrors need adjustment.

> > No, yours (probably) do. My setting eliminates blindspots. Do yours?

> No, and neither do yours, no probably about it. And most assuredly the
> appearance of a headlight in your mirror does not ensure your
> clearance. No probably about that either.

Arif is referring to the Blindzone Glare Elimination (BGE) mirror setting
and he is correct: one headlight in the side mirror (and one in the rearview
mirror) is barely acceptable for changing lanes, but it won't result in a
collision.

Old December 12th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote: <brevity snip>

> Arif is referring to the Blindzone Glare Elimination (BGE) mirror setting
> and he is correct: one headlight in the side mirror (and one in the rearview
> mirror) is barely acceptable for changing lanes, but it won't result in a
> collision.

-----

Acceptable... to whom? Won't result in a side collision... perhaps.
But Arif claims his settings "eliminate" any and all blindspot(s) and
that's incorrect.

And to use that as a reference to all vehicles at all speeds in any
position in their lane while he may be in any position in his lane is
stupid, if nothing else.

This kid thinks he's eliminated the need to look over his shoulder and
he hasn't. I agree there are optimal mirror adjustments but they DO
NOT eliminate any and all blindspots. Plus, his attitude is as
ignorant as his assumptions. Adversarial driving is stupid.
-----

- gpsman

Old December 12th 05, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, Dan J.S. wrote:

> "Dave Head" > wrote in message
>> Saw this one last week.
>>
>> Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the
>> guy
>> beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
>> lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The
>> original
>> schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.
>>
>> Now, do you wonder why people don't use turn signals? The fellow would
>> have
>> been much better off to just wait until there was room, and change his
>> lane
>> without telling anyone, and that's why so many people do it.
>>
>> And do you suppose any cop _ever_ gives a ticket for the hurry-uppers?
>> Probably not, as nobody seems to live in fear of doing it.
>>
>> Dave Head

> This is how it is in Chicago. Exactly why no one uses lane change turn
> signals any more..

I signal lane changes and generally don't have problems.