Turn Signals

Old December 11th 05, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Turn Signals

Saw this one last week.

Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the guy
beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The original
schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.

Now, do you wonder why people don't use turn signals? The fellow would have
been much better off to just wait until there was room, and change his lane
without telling anyone, and that's why so many people do it.

And do you suppose any cop _ever_ gives a ticket for the hurry-uppers?
Probably not, as nobody seems to live in fear of doing it.

Dave Head
Old December 11th 05, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> Saw this one last week.
>
> Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the
> guy
> beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
> lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The
> original
> schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.
>
> Now, do you wonder why people don't use turn signals? The fellow would
> have
> been much better off to just wait until there was room, and change his
> lane
> without telling anyone, and that's why so many people do it.
>
> And do you suppose any cop _ever_ gives a ticket for the hurry-uppers?
> Probably not, as nobody seems to live in fear of doing it.
>
> Dave Head

Using turn signals is providing the enemy with information that they WILL
use against you. This is old news. -Dave

Old December 11th 05, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

This is why in certain circumstances, I don't use my turn signals for
signaling lane changes. I don't like to do it, but in instances where I
feel like this could happen to me (heavily flowing Metro DC traffic
comes to mind), I won't. Thankfully, here in Nashville, I haven't had
to deal with that (though I'm sure I would if I drove in Atlanta).

Old December 11th 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head wrote:

> Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the guy
> beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
> lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The original
> schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.

Sounds like the driver ahead of you has his **** together. He decided
to change lanes before the last minute (second) and allowed enough time
to make his move relatively safely. He refused to participate in the
adversarial driving style that's so prevalent today. Kudos to him.

> Now, do you wonder why people don't use turn signals?

No, I know there are numerous reasons people use to justify not
signaling, all of which are nonsensical.

> The fellow would have been much better off to just wait until there was room, and
> change his lane without telling anyone, and that's why so many people do it.

Huh? How would he be better off? He accomplished his task in a
presumably safe and legal manner. Your alternative causes him to
appear like a MMFY dick who doesn't know how to drive while
accomplishing nothing more.

Turn signals are always a good idea. The number one excuse for crashes
is, "I didn't see the other vehicle". Everyone makes occasional
mistakes clearing their right-of-way. A signal is good for notifing
the driver you may have missed that you're planning a maneuver.

It's a good idea to know the entire purpose of signaling. On surface
streets the first purpose is to notify drivers to your rear that you
*will be* slowing to turn. Today's common practice of slowing first
and then signaling as the turn is imminent (or already beginning) is
pretty much a waste of alternating direct current.

> And do you suppose any cop _ever_ gives a ticket for the hurry-uppers?
> Probably not, as nobody seems to live in fear of doing it.

Cops don't drive any better than the general population, although they
should. But cops aren't born cops, they learn ****ty driving habits
from their parents just like everyone else. Driving skill isn't issued
with a badge. Consequently, it probably seems like a minor infraction
if any at all because the cop was taught and applies the same poor
habit.
-----

- gpsman

Old December 11th 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head wrote:

> Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the guy
> beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
> lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The original
> schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.

Sounds like the driver ahead of you has his **** together. He decided
to change lanes before the last minute (second) and allowed enough time

to make his move relatively safely. He refused to participate in the
adversarial driving style that's so prevalent today. Kudos to him.

> Now, do you wonder why people don't use turn signals?

No, I know there are numerous reasons people use to justify not
signaling, all of which are nonsensical.

> The fellow would have been much better off to just wait until there was room, and
> change his lane without telling anyone, and that's why so many people do it.

Huh? How would he be better off?

1) He would have two demonstrated agressive drivers _behind_ him
instead of in front of him. Behind him, they have less power to screw
with his trip any further.

2) You commit the fallacy of infinite patience and tolerance. Getting
cut off like that is an offensive move. Many adverse physiological
reactions, including higher blood pressure and excess acid produced in
the stomach are avoided. Also, the psychological reaction of anger is
avoided. Avoiding these things puts the guy who uses stealth lane
changes in the category of "better off".

He accomplished his task in a
presumably safe and legal manner. Your alternative causes him to
appear like a MMFY dick who doesn't know how to drive while
accomplishing nothing more.

Turn signals are always a good idea. The number one excuse for crashes

is, "I didn't see the other vehicle". Everyone makes occasional
mistakes clearing their right-of-way. A signal is good for notifing
the driver you may have missed that you're planning a maneuver.

The best thing is to be absolutely sure of your path when making a lane
change and that there isn't someone else already in it. Using turn
signals just allows sloppiness to be rationalized so that the sloppy
driver thinks, "If I use my turn signal, then if I screw this up,
someone else can save me." That's a bad way to drive. Better to "work
without a net" and know that if you aren't using all the attention that
a lane change deserves, you're going to get yourself hurt. Its a
greater incentive to make _sure_ that the way is clear, and not relying
on some stranger to save your butt.

Dave Head

Old December 11th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head wrote:

> Saw this one last week.
>
> Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the guy
> beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
> lanes.

The sign of an incompetent driver, Mr. "too scared to change lanes
because I can't see cars in my blind spot located in my side view mirror
despite the fact that my mirrors are supposedly adjusted properly." My
method is as follows. First, I check my mirrors and determine when a
suituable gap to change lanes into becomes available. Second, I switch
on my signal. Third, I start changing lanes as the turn signal bulb
switches on a second time.

I have yet to see someone who has successfully blocked me out. Oh, and
btw, if I can see one of your headlamps in my side mirror, I know I can
get in front of you.
Old December 11th 05, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

gpsman wrote:

> Today's common practice of slowing first and then signaling as the turn
> is imminent (or already beginning) is pretty much a waste of alternating
> direct current.

You can't waste current (or voltage). They cannot be depleted, as such.
You can only waste the power source that is generating the current.
In this case, it's a waste of petrol. When the engine is on, the
electrics are powered by the alternator, which is belt-driven by the
crankshaft.

Old December 12th 05, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Old Wolf wrote:
> gpsman wrote:
>
> > Today's common practice of slowing first and then signaling as the turn
> > is imminent (or already beginning) is pretty much a waste of alternating
> > direct current.

> You can't waste current (or voltage). They cannot be depleted, as such.
> You can only waste the power source that is generating the current.
> In this case, it's a waste of petrol. When the engine is on, the
> electrics are powered by the alternator, which is belt-driven by the
> crankshaft.

-----

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was referring to the wasted "action" of
alternation; causing current to the signal to be alternated on and off.
Sorry, my bad.
-----

- gpsman

Old December 12th 05, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head wrote:
> Saw this one last week.
>
> Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the guy
> beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
> lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The original
> schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.

I do that all the time if the creep that wants to change lanes is a big
SUV.

> Now, do you wonder why people don't use turn signals? The fellow would have
> been much better off to just wait until there was room, and change his lane
> without telling anyone, and that's why so many people do it.

Yup - that's what i do. Wait for an opening and then hit the signal and
move.

> And do you suppose any cop _ever_ gives a ticket for the hurry-uppers?
> Probably not, as nobody seems to live in fear of doing it.

No, because it's impossible to prove anything.

Old December 12th 05, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Dave Head wrote:
> > Saw this one last week.
> >
> > Car ahead of me wants to change lanes. Puts on his turn signal, and the guy
> > beside me immediatly hurries to close the gap so this person can't change
> > lanes. The the guy behind him passes me and does the same thing. The original
> > schmuck that wanted to change lanes finally gets in behind the 2nd car.

> I do that all the time if the creep that wants to change lanes is a big
> SUV.

But, if they're going over the speed limit, you must be going over the
speed limit to do so? You mean you've sped more than the one time in
school zone? You should be in jail, you crazy psychopath. But thanks
for playing!

Dave