Another old baggle confused, gets killed...

Old December 15th 05, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Why Sloths are Offensive

(Matthew Russotto) wrote in
:

> In article . com>,
> gpsman > wrote:
>>> Matthew Russotto wrote:

>>> Blind obedience to the printed word is a sign of maturity?

>>Blind obedience?! It's the law! What additional reason for compliance
>>is necessary?

I guess gpsman thinks Rosa Parks should have sat in the back of the bus.
Or never heard of civil disobedience.

> As I said, blind obedience.

Yup.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old December 16th 05, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"N8N" > wrote in
oups.com:

> DYM wrote:
>> Nate Nagel > wrote in
>> :

>> (Brent P) wrote in
>> :

>> (Brent P) wrote in

>> groups.com>, gpsman

>> > Nah, I am guessing from his previous posts that he's actually a
>> > school bus driver. So his rants actually make sense, 'cause the
>> > speed limit is probably set about right for one of those unwieldy
>> > things. Get in something with a more modern chassis design though,
>> > like a 1951 Studebaker, and the speed limit seems a little on the
>> > low side.
>> >
>> > nate
>> >

>> Yup, like moving the QEII around in a bathtub. Actually, my new
>> (alright it's just year old now) bus handles very well on the
>> highway. Top speed is 65. Curves, like ramps are no problem for it.
>> The center of gravity is pretty low. Now, when you get into one of
>> the "short" buses, built on a van chassis, you gotta be very careful.
>> They have a softer suspension and the center of gravity is much
>> higher. They get better with a couple of wheelchair passengers on
>> board. I hate driving them in the snow. The big bus is great in the
>> snow, high ground clearance and lots of weight on the wheels.
>>
>> Unweildy, yes, but lots of fun and a challenge.
>> Doug

> So if you feel that 65 MPH is safe in your school bus, what do you
> think would be a safe speed for a generic 90's family sedan, say an
> Accord or Maxima?
>
> nate

Not so fast that you would read end my bus. That's a losing situation for
you. You would be very surprised at how well behaved my bus is at 65. I
was surprised I was going so smoothly on the NE Extention, as smooth as
my Legacy sedan. Don't have to fight it at all. The real skill is when
you have to go slow, like narrow residential streets.

For the record, my old bus was a 1990 Bluebird, without air. When I
turned it in for the new model (Oct 2004), it had 186,000 miles and over
6,000 hours on the engine. It's top speed was 50 MPH, 55 if you went down
hill. It had a tighter turning radius, by about 2 feet. It took forever
to warm up, bounced everyone around, and took a long distance to stop.

Either one I can parallel park just like my Legacy. I can back into any
space that was at least 10 feet wide. I can stop with either bumper
centered within a 16" deep box (painted on the asphalt).

Doug
Old December 16th 05, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

DYM wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > DYM wrote:
> >> Nate Nagel > wrote in
> >> :

> >> (Brent P) wrote in
> >> :

> >> (Brent P) wrote in

> >> groups.com>, gpsman

> >> Yup, like moving the QEII around in a bathtub. Actually, my new
> >> (alright it's just year old now) bus handles very well on the
> >> highway. Top speed is 65. Curves, like ramps are no problem for it.
> >> The center of gravity is pretty low. Now, when you get into one of
> >> the "short" buses, built on a van chassis, you gotta be very careful.
> >> They have a softer suspension and the center of gravity is much
> >> higher. They get better with a couple of wheelchair passengers on
> >> board. I hate driving them in the snow. The big bus is great in the
> >> snow, high ground clearance and lots of weight on the wheels.
> >>
> >> Unweildy, yes, but lots of fun and a challenge.
> >> Doug

> > So if you feel that 65 MPH is safe in your school bus, what do you
> > think would be a safe speed for a generic 90's family sedan, say an
> > Accord or Maxima?
> >
> > nate
> >

> Not so fast that you would read end my bus. That's a losing situation for
> you. You would be very surprised at how well behaved my bus is at 65. I
> was surprised I was going so smoothly on the NE Extention, as smooth as
> my Legacy sedan. Don't have to fight it at all. The real skill is when
> you have to go slow, like narrow residential streets.
>
> For the record, my old bus was a 1990 Bluebird, without air. When I
> turned it in for the new model (Oct 2004), it had 186,000 miles and over
> 6,000 hours on the engine. It's top speed was 50 MPH, 55 if you went down
> hill. It had a tighter turning radius, by about 2 feet. It took forever
> to warm up, bounced everyone around, and took a long distance to stop.
>
> Either one I can parallel park just like my Legacy. I can back into any
> space that was at least 10 feet wide. I can stop with either bumper
> centered within a 16" deep box (painted on the asphalt).
>
> Doug

The point I was trying to make was that you apparently have a bus that
you feel is safe to drive at 65 MPH. Now that has been no great feat
for quite a few years now - regular passenger cars that can safely
cruise at those speeds have been available widely since the 1950s.
Cars have undergone quite a bit of refinement since then; "exotic"
features like four wheel disc brakes, four wheel independent
suspensions, low profile radial tires, etc. have gone from being only
installed on high-end sports and racing cars to mom's everyday grocery
getter. Your bus still probably has live axles front and rear! So
simply because your bus has an effective maximum cruising speed of 65
MPH within your comfort envelope does not necessarily mean that ALL
vehicles need that limitation. If you looked at the friction circle
for your bus and plotted where you were operating that bus on a given
highway at 65 MPH, and then extrapolated the percentage of the limits
to a different friction circle for an average passenger car, you would
end up with a truly alarming cruising speed, likely over 100 MPH. Now
I'm not arguing that speed limits should be set at 100 MPH; but what I
am saying is that a normal passenger car operating at 65 MPH is
operating so far within its limits that another 10-20 MPH is not going
to automatically cause any sort of greatly increased risk of incident,
assuming a competent, aware driver. Your comment about rear-ending the
bus is a non sequitur; that's what passing lanes are for.

nate

Old December 16th 05, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

N8N wrote: <brevity snip>
>If you looked at the friction circle...

-----
This is the first reference to a friction circle I've seen in "this"
group!!! (well, besides my own)
-----

- gpsman

Old December 17th 05, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Another old baggle confused, gets killed...

Around 12/5/2005 7:58 AM, Pooh Bear wrote:

> Does the US require yearly medicals for olders drivers like here in the UK ?

With maybe a couple exceptions, no.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.