Another old baggle confused, gets killed...

Old December 9th 05, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Another old baggle confused, gets killed...

> Right, so you have identified the core issue: just how offensive is
> it to hold someone up on the road?

It's irritating, but not the end of the world. Unless it's esclated

> AFAIC if the slow driver has the choice of two or more lanes,
> but is occupying the "fast" lane, then it shows blatant
> disregard for other road users. Most people find it highly
> offensive to be blatantly disregarded.

100% agreement there.

The problem is an LLB creates an irritating situation, those with anger
management issues transform it into a dangerous one.

Old December 9th 05, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Why Sloths are Offensive

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:52:01 -0500, "JohnH" >
wrote:

>> Right, so you have identified the core issue: just how offensive is
>> it to hold someone up on the road?

>It's irritating, but not the end of the world. Unless it's esclated
>
>> AFAIC if the slow driver has the choice of two or more lanes,
>> but is occupying the "fast" lane, then it shows blatant
>> disregard for other road users. Most people find it highly
>> offensive to be blatantly disregarded.

>100% agreement there.
>
>The problem is an LLB creates an irritating situation, those with anger
>management issues transform it into a dangerous one.

I agree with all of the above.

I liken an LLB to a camper who walks up to a sleeping grizzly bear and
pokes it with a sharp stick. When you engage in mindlessly provocative
behavior, you've got to expect some negative consequences. And yet the
liberal PC society in which we live blames the "road rager" (bear) for
responding with (perfectly natural) anger to the provocation.

Old December 9th 05, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> liberal PC society in which we live blames the "road rager" (bear) for
> responding with (perfectly natural) anger to the provocation.

Ridiculous analogy. From the slow driver perspective, *you* are the
provoker. They were minding their own business driving the SL until some
hothead asshole came barreling down on them (poking them with a stick).
They then feel like they need to reign you in (the "teaching a lesson" bit).

Regardless, anger is not a healthy reaction to a slow driver, LLB or
otherwise.

How long you been driving, Scott? Me - 30 years. Nowadays, I *fully
expect* to encounter LLBs, "sloths" and all sorts of people who drive
differently than I prefer. It took awhile, but I found out getting ****ed
off did nothing to improve the situation nor could I ever "teach someone a
lesson". You just have to wait it out and get on when you can.

I really think part of the driving test should be an encounter with an LLB
"plant", and fail anyone who exhibits rage.

Old December 9th 05, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> How long you been driving, Scott? Me - 30 years. Nowadays, I *fully
> expect* to encounter LLBs, "sloths" and all sorts of people who drive
> differently than I prefer. It took awhile, but I found out getting ****ed
> off did nothing to improve the situation nor could I ever "teach someone a
> lesson". You just have to wait it out and get on when you can.
>
> I really think part of the driving test should be an encounter with an LLB
> "plant", and fail anyone who exhibits rage.

And I think all motor vehicles should be equipped with an option to SHRED
both the driver's license and license plates if a vehicle is ever driven in
the far left lane other than to quickly pass someone. -Dave

Old December 9th 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:52:01 -0500, "JohnH" >
> wrote:
>
>>> Right, so you have identified the core issue: just how offensive is
>>> it to hold someone up on the road?

>>It's irritating, but not the end of the world. Unless it's esclated

It escalates on it's own;each holdup multiplies and traffic gets snarled
up.

LLBing creates clumps of vehicles,a much more dangerous situation than the
normal passing without LLBs.It causes people to find ways around the
LLBer,less safe than the proper passing on the left.

>>> AFAIC if the slow driver has the choice of two or more lanes,
>>> but is occupying the "fast" lane, then it shows blatant
>>> disregard for other road users. Most people find it highly
>>> offensive to be blatantly disregarded.

>>100% agreement there.
>>
>>The problem is an LLB creates an irritating situation, those with anger
>>management issues transform it into a dangerous one.

It's no "anger management issue" to try to get around an LLB.
It is more hazardous than normal passing.

> I agree with all of the above.
>
> I liken an LLB to a camper who walks up to a sleeping grizzly bear and
> pokes it with a sharp stick. When you engage in mindlessly provocative
> behavior, you've got to expect some negative consequences. And yet the
> liberal PC society in which we live blames the "road rager" (bear) for
> responding with (perfectly natural) anger to the provocation.

Agreed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old December 9th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Mike T." > wrote in
reenews.net:

>> How long you been driving, Scott? Me - 30 years. Nowadays, I *fully
>> expect* to encounter LLBs, "sloths" and all sorts of people who drive
>> differently than I prefer. It took awhile, but I found out getting
>> ****ed off did nothing to improve the situation nor could I ever
>> "teach someone a lesson". You just have to wait it out and get on
>> when you can.
>>
>> I really think part of the driving test should be an encounter with
>> an LLB "plant", and fail anyone who exhibits rage.

> And I think all motor vehicles should be equipped with an option to
> SHRED both the driver's license and license plates if a vehicle is
> ever driven in the far left lane other than to quickly pass someone.
> -Dave

No,just a gas cut-off relay,so their auto stops working temporarily.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old December 9th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Mike T. wrote:
>> How long you been driving, Scott? Me - 30 years. Nowadays, I *fully
>> expect* to encounter LLBs, "sloths" and all sorts of people who drive
>> differently than I prefer. It took awhile, but I found out getting
>> ****ed off did nothing to improve the situation nor could I ever
>> "teach someone a lesson". You just have to wait it out and get on
>> when you can. I really think part of the driving test should be an
>> encounter with
>> an LLB "plant", and fail anyone who exhibits rage.

> And I think all motor vehicles should be equipped with an option to
> SHRED both the driver's license and license plates if a vehicle is
> ever driven in the far left lane other than to quickly pass someone. -Dave

Amen brotha!

Old December 9th 05, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

>> And I think all motor vehicles should be equipped with an option to
>> SHRED both the driver's license and license plates if a vehicle is
>> ever driven in the far left lane other than to quickly pass someone.
>> -Dave
>>

> No,just a gas cut-off relay,so their auto stops working temporarily.

Not a permanent solution, and it would actually do more harm than good.
It's not like they are going to leave the left lane just because they
suddenly have no power. -Dave

Old December 9th 05, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

JohnH wrote:
> > liberal PC society in which we live blames the "road rager" (bear) for
> > responding with (perfectly natural) anger to the provocation.

> Ridiculous analogy. From the slow driver perspective, *you* are the
> provoker. They were minding their own business driving the SL until some
> hothead asshole came barreling down on them (poking them with a stick).

These kids will never understand that. In their "minds" since their
parents taught them that safe driving was a "waste of time" and
speeding is fine because "everybody else does it" they see people
driving the speed limit and obeying the law as Sloths.

Almost every argument of Slothdom blames the Sloth for the poor driving
habits of others. "Sloths driving is dangerous because they're driving
too slow and speeding inattentive drivers might (could/will) rear-end
them" et al, ad nauseum. Duh...

It's all rampant immaturity and insane expectations when they get
behind the wheel. They're obviously unable to maintain a grip on their
emotions and they, like a lot of drivers today expect to enter the
roadway and find all traffic reading *their* minds, being concerned
for *their* travel and conforming perfectly to *their* driving style.
It's never happened yet they always seem surprised when it doesn't.

Then their anger overflows. "Everybody has a lot of goddamn nerve
being on the road and how dare they drive slower than me?! Goddamn
MFFY's... I'll show THEM!" And it NEVER ****ing occurs to them that
they're the MFFY and that perhaps a little self-examination might be in
order. Nope, everybody else is the problem, not me.

> Regardless, anger is not a healthy reaction to a slow driver, LLB or
> otherwise.
>
> How long you been driving, Scott? Me - 30 years. Nowadays, I *fully
> expect* to encounter LLBs, "sloths" and all sorts of people who drive
> differently than I prefer. It took awhile, but I found out getting ****ed
> off did nothing to improve the situation nor could I ever "teach someone a
> lesson". You just have to wait it out and get on when you can.

Everyone of these knuckleheads will tell you that *they're* the safe
driver and people obeying the speed limit are the problem. Of course
they follow EVERY other traffic law except the speed limit but that's
ok because speed limits are set too low. It NEVER occurs to them how
stupid that argument is. It's so stupid it doesn't even qualify as an
argument! My cousin got pulled over for speeding a million years ago
and told the cop, "But everybody else was speeding"! The cop said,
"Yeah, but I caught you".

A sign of maturity is not following along with the crowd when it's
wrong, no matter it's size. Especially when there are signs telling
you what *is* right every few miles.

A sign of maturity is making allowances for other people who might not
be in a tear-ass hurry to get where they're going.

A sign of maturity is not making excuses for or rationalizing your
behavior based on the behavior of others.

These kids are all about 14 years old, emotionally.

> I really think part of the driving test should be an encounter with an LLB
> "plant", and fail anyone who exhibits rage.

Make it impatience. To drive well requires patience and a lot of it.
The more patience you exhibit the better driver you probably are.
-----

- gpsman

Old December 9th 05, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

gpsman wrote:
> JohnH wrote:
>
>>>liberal PC society in which we live blames the "road rager" (bear) for
>>>responding with (perfectly natural) anger to the provocation.

>>Ridiculous analogy. From the slow driver perspective, *you* are the
>>provoker. They were minding their own business driving the SL until some
>>hothead asshole came barreling down on them (poking them with a stick).

> These kids will never understand that. In their "minds" since their
> parents taught them that safe driving was a "waste of time" and
> speeding is fine because "everybody else does it" they see people
> driving the speed limit and obeying the law as Sloths.
>
> Almost every argument of Slothdom blames the Sloth for the poor driving
> habits of others. "Sloths driving is dangerous because they're driving
> too slow and speeding inattentive drivers might (could/will) rear-end
> them" et al, ad nauseum. Duh...
>
> It's all rampant immaturity and insane expectations when they get
> behind the wheel. They're obviously unable to maintain a grip on their
> emotions and they, like a lot of drivers today expect to enter the
> roadway and find all traffic reading *their* minds, being concerned
> for *their* travel and conforming perfectly to *their* driving style.
> It's never happened yet they always seem surprised when it doesn't.
>
> Then their anger overflows. "Everybody has a lot of goddamn nerve
> being on the road and how dare they drive slower than me?! Goddamn
> MFFY's... I'll show THEM!" And it NEVER ****ing occurs to them that
> they're the MFFY and that perhaps a little self-examination might be in
> order. Nope, everybody else is the problem, not me.

You've got it all wrong. Those who were actually taught to drive
correctly understand that a correct speed for conditions is relative; it
may vary not only with road and traffic conditions and weather but also
with the vehicle one's driving and skill of the driver. Those who were
taught correctly also understand that there is absolutely no place on
the road for ****ing matches initiated by drivers who feel that another
driver's speed is inappropriate, whether too fast *or* too slow. They
also understand that "keep right except to pass" is both a good idea and
the law, and allows drivers to travel at different speeds from each
other and coexist in relative happiness.

Those who were NOT taught to drive correctly believe that it is OK to
use the left lane to "enforce proper driving behavior" WRT other
drivers, which can only end with anger.

Simply because a driver becomes angry at another driver who is
deliberately impeding the normal movement of traffic, he is not
necessarily a poor driver - he's simply human, with normal emotions.
Now if he reacts inappropriately - and that does NOT mean a left turn
signal blink or headlight flash, those are perfectly appropriate
reactions - that would make him a poor driver. If a driver responds
inappropriately to a polite request from another driver to move over,
THAT makes him a poor driver.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.