Creaky exhaust on Miata NC

Old November 14th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chipper

Default Creaky exhaust on Miata NC

Hi,

The exhaust on my 2008 2.0i Sport NC has really got creaky of late - and by
creaky I mean that as it expands/contracts, you can really hear the darned
thing, even while the engine is still on. I've never known a noisier steel
exhaust and it's so crazy I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Grateful for any feedback

C.

Old November 14th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Like, snapping / popping sounds caused by expansion / contraction? Or, it
vibrating against other things?

Chris
99BBB

Old November 14th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chipper

Hi Chris,

Snapping, popping sounds caused by expansion/contraction for sure. It's
just really excessive and has only really started to happen in the last
2-300 miles. Note that the car has only done 3k! I've had it on a ramp and
all seems well, the cat hasn't been damaged or anything.

Thanks for the fast response btw!

Old November 15th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

My guess is that it's just because your car is so new. By the time you get 8
or 10k on it it will likely be less noticeable however, it could be that the
metals they are using are just prone to this. Hopefully a couple NC folks
will chime in here for you but 3k miles, it's not even broken in yet ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old November 15th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Nov 14, 11:52*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> My guess is that it's just because your car is so new. By the time you get 8
> or 10k on it it will likely be less noticeable however, it could be that the
> metals they are using are just prone to this. Hopefully a couple NC folks
> will chime in here for you but 3k miles, it's not even broken in yet ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB
>
> "Chipper" > wrote in message

> > Hi Chris,

> > Snapping, popping sounds caused by expansion/contraction for sure. *It's
> > just really excessive and has only really started to happen in the last
> > 2-300 miles. *Note that the car has only done 3k! *I've had it on a ramp
> > and all seems well, *the cat hasn't been damaged or anything.

> > Thanks for the fast response btw!

> > "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> Like, snapping / popping sounds caused by expansion / contraction? Or, it
> >> vibrating against other things?

> >> Chris
> >> 99BBB

> >> "Chipper" > wrote in message
> om...

I've got 5,000 miles on my '09 and if anything, I think the exhaust
has gotten a bit quieter. I normally only hear it for a few seconds
after I've stopped the car. The colder weather may be a factor, but I
don't know if it would make it better (lower absolute temperature) or
worse (greater temperature extremes).

I'm only a sample of one, and in the Miata forums, people have
remarked on the noise when you turn off the engine, but to the extent
that you've described, I do not think your situation is normal,
certainlt not typical.

I have no advice, since it's not a problem/solution that I've read
about, but I suggest you search the groups/forums as it's likely to
have happened to someone before. Perhaps loosening and re-tightening
the associated fasteners when the system is warm would alleviate some
of the mechanical stress (if that's even the root cause and it's not
something internal to the exhaust system). Good luck

Net
Old November 15th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chipper

Chris/Net,

Thanks for the reply guys. I haven't seen anyone else really complain about
it, but I did take it back to the dealers and it was a new one for them.
For what it's worth, I think you're about right and with time this will
settle down. I was thinking along the same lines as Net and perhaps
loosening the various couplings when the engine is warm, kinda stress
relieving the system if you know what I mean.

Cheers

C.

Old November 17th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

By the way, I kind of like the little pops / snaps of an exhaust expansion /
contraction. It's not as exciting as the huge boom we used to hear about 5
seconds after an RX3 was turned off, when the unburned gasses in the exhaust
would get hot enough to ignite in a nice / loud backfire ;-) You could
practically set your stopwatch by it on some of them.

Chris
99BBB

creaky clutch pedal marx404 Saturn 2 October 14th 07 04:08 AM
Creaky front end 2003 Jetta William Maslin VW water cooled 6 May 7th 07 07:34 PM
Miata Exhaust for Sale - going tonight for $25 ferginstein Mazda 0 April 12th 05 03:53 AM
Miata Exhaust for Sale - going tonight for $25 ferginstein Mazda 0 April 12th 05 03:42 AM
Creaky suspension B.B. Technology 4 December 20th 04 03:49 PM