Does 2003 Shinsen include "sport" supspension?

Old October 16th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default Does 2003 Shinsen include "sport" supspension?

Now, That's more enlightening than I believe I can absorb! I had a feeling
it might be in a far off land ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old October 16th 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Well, for one thing, you and I probably like about the same ride handling
compromise, IIRC, the MSM is ~300lbs heavier than my 99 base model car
which, will make a significant difference.

If you want to dial out some body roll, I think you can do it with upsized
sway bars. There should be tons of info in the forums at miata.net on that.
There have been many attempts (with varying degrees of success) to turn the
MSM into a great autocross car. Apparently, depending on your local venue,
the 6 speed can be a bit of a problem (having to go into and out of, 3rd
gear occasionally).

Of course, FM or Goodman Racing will take you as serious as you dare to go!

You really do start loosing some of the 'streetability' and it's hard to go
back ;-)

Chris
99BBB

g.com...

Old October 16th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:25:15 -0500, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> "Carbon" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:38:14 -0500, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>>> Eric, if your suspension is a 'non-sport' version, I want to put in
>>> a good word for the KYB AGX adjustables. IIRC the Koni's are not
>>> easy to adjust and the KYB's definitely are. It's nice to be able to
>>> go softer on the road and firm it up when it's time to get serious.
>>> I ended up putting the MSM springs and shocks on my 99 and while I
>>> think it's the perfect 'all around' set up, my wife isn't very happy
>>> riding in the car and that effects my time in the car and that's a
>>> BAD THING!

>> That's interesting. I have an MSM so presumably MSM springs and
>> shocks as well. To me the handling is too soft, with too much body
>> roll. Finances preclude any changes for the time being, but at some
>> point I would like to firm things up a notch or two without
>> destroying the ride. And I'm really not sure what I should upgrade,
>> cost/benefit wise.

> Well, for one thing, you and I probably like about the same ride
> handling compromise, IIRC, the MSM is ~300lbs heavier than my 99 base
> model car which, will make a significant difference.
>
> If you want to dial out some body roll, I think you can do it with
> upsized sway bars. There should be tons of info in the forums at
> miata.net on that. There have been many attempts (with varying degrees
> of success) to turn the MSM into a great autocross car. Apparently,
> depending on your local venue, the 6 speed can be a bit of a problem
> (having to go into and out of, 3rd gear occasionally).
>
> Of course, FM or Goodman Racing will take you as serious as you dare
> to go!

I've spent many hours contemplating the FM website. There are a large
number of goodies for the MSM, and there's also a disturbingly
fascinating section on V8 transplants. If finances had allowed I would
have done the intake kit, downpipe, exhaust and intercooler at the very
least. And of course new sway bars too.
Old October 16th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

The horsepower game is a study in futility. You can't win, somebody always
has more, and even they are unhappy with what they have and want more!
What's the old saying, 'if you're not fast with 90 hp, you won't be fast
with 900 hp' Something like that. I seriously think the stk or near stock
Miata is one of the most ideal cars for public roads. You can run the snot
out of it every day and have a blast while a guy in his hotrod Vette can't
run to redline in second gear for fear of his license. Work on the handling
and your drivers skills, I think you'll be happier, isn't that what it's all
about?

Chris
99BBB

g.com...

Old October 16th 09, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> The horsepower game is a study in futility. You can't win, somebody
> always has more, and even they are unhappy with what they have and want
> more! What's the old saying, 'if you're not fast with 90 hp, you won't
> be fast with 900 hp' Something like that. I seriously think the stk or
> near stock Miata is one of the most ideal cars for public roads. You can
> run the snot out of it every day and have a blast while a guy in his
> hotrod Vette can't run to redline in second gear for fear of his
> license. Work on the handling and your drivers skills, I think you'll be
> happier, isn't that what it's all about?
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

I agree.
S2000 is nice, but you'll die or lose your license proving that it's
faster than a Miata (they most certainly are). Boxsters are kind of
nice, it's just the potential cost of future engine rebuilds that I
don't like. Z3 / Z4 I'll pass on - if you can afford very high european
car maintenance costs, then IMO only Porsche (911/Cayman/Boxster)
deserve attention - for purist design for drivers. Someone drove past
my house in some brand new 4 door stretched 911 shaped thing the other
day - more proof that Porsche aren't infallible - if the Cayenne truck
(express school bus) hadn't proved it already.
The roads here in NZ have character. Lots of very interesting twisty
mountain roads. The surface is variable - often "chip seal" rather than
rolled emulsion smooth surfaces, and prone to having big lumps in
corners. Hard suspension might be great on smooth roads or the track,
but a good balance of stock / near stock suspension and keeping unsprung
weight as low as possible is best. A stock Mx5 seems as if it's made
for the roads here.