Erratic electrical problem with 1996 Chrysler T&C

Old August 14th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dmkAlex

Default Erratic electrical problem with 1996 Chrysler T&C

I have a 1996 Towne & Country which had been a work horse and it has
over 150,000 miles on it.

There are a couple of erratical electrical problems:

Both the horne and the turn signal would stop working occassionally
and I had checked the fuse box to make sure the fuses were not burnt
out. But it will work again, maybe the next time I started the car. In
other words, it works and it stops working and I couldn't figure why.

I want to add that I only drive this car 2 miles a day back and forth
post office.

Anyone here has any insight into this erratic electrical problem?

Thanks.

Alex
Old August 14th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

dmkAlex > wrote:
>I have a 1996 Towne & Country which had been a work horse and it has
>over 150,000 miles on it.
>
>There are a couple of erratical electrical problems:
>
>Both the horne and the turn signal would stop working occassionally
>and I had checked the fuse box to make sure the fuses were not burnt
>out. But it will work again, maybe the next time I started the car. In
>other words, it works and it stops working and I couldn't figure why.
>
>I want to add that I only drive this car 2 miles a day back and forth
>post office.
>
>Anyone here has any insight into this erratic electrical problem?

When several things are wrong, look for the things that they have in
common. That includes some multipin connectors inside the steering
column, and some grounds, I bet.
--scott
Old August 14th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dmkAlex

> When several things are wrong, look for the things that they have in
> common. *That includes some multipin connectors inside the steering
> column, and some grounds, I bet.
> --scott

Do I have to take the steerling column out to locate the multi-pin
contact?
Thanks.
Old August 14th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

dmkAlex > wrote:

>> When several things are wrong, look for the things that they have in
>> common. =A0That includes some multipin connectors inside the steering
>> column, and some grounds, I bet.

>Do I have to take the steerling column out to locate the multi-pin
>contact?

At least some of them, you will have to take the cover off the steering
column. Grab cable harnesses and pull on them. Wiggle them around. One
of them may be intermittent.
--scott
Old August 14th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

what's a home? do all your turn signals quit or ??
Old August 15th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dmkAlex

On Aug 14, 4:28*pm, wrote:
> what's a home? do all your turn signals quit or ??

I meant HORN.
thanks
Old August 15th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

dmkAlex wrote:
> I have a 1996 Towne & Country which had been a work horse and it has
> over 150,000 miles on it.
>
> There are a couple of erratical electrical problems:
>
> Both the horne and the turn signal would stop working occassionally
> and I had checked the fuse box to make sure the fuses were not burnt
> out. But it will work again, maybe the next time I started the car. In
> other words, it works and it stops working and I couldn't figure why.
>
> I want to add that I only drive this car 2 miles a day back and forth
> post office.
>
> Anyone here has any insight into this erratic electrical problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alex

Do they both stop working at the same time? As for the turn signals, do
they not illuminate or not blink? Front? Rear? Left? Right? What are
the brake lights doing when the turn signals aren't working? What do
the 4 ways do when the turn signals aren't working?
Old August 15th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dmkAlex

I am not sure about the horn is related or not. The horn could have
stopped because the horn was blown. I'll have to check it out.

The turn signal is the one that has been erratically misbehaving for
about a year now. One day it will work just fine. The other, the
signal both outside and inside the dash board just don't work.

I read the book regarding the fuse box. The fuse is for both the turn
signal and the hazard flasher, which always works even when the turn
signal decided not to work.

I have giggle the turn lever and it doesn't seem to have any effect.
The turn lever also control the high beam, which works fine even when
the turn signal is not working.

Old August 15th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Woody[_1_]

Great way to cause destruction and create many more problems. Go to the
library and find a service manual with wiring diagrams and use that to trace
out circuit with a millimeter. Learn to diagnose rather than trial and
error.

Old August 16th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

dmkAlex wrote:
> I am not sure about the horn is related or not. The horn could have
> stopped because the horn was blown. I'll have to check it out.
>
> The turn signal is the one that has been erratically misbehaving for
> about a year now. One day it will work just fine. The other, the
> signal both outside and inside the dash board just don't work.
>
> I read the book regarding the fuse box. The fuse is for both the turn
> signal and the hazard flasher, which always works even when the turn
> signal decided not to work.
>
> I have giggle the turn lever and it doesn't seem to have any effect.
> The turn lever also control the high beam, which works fine even when
> the turn signal is not working.
>

>> Do they both stop working at the same time? As for the turn signals, do
>> they not illuminate or not blink? Front? Rear? Left? Right? What are
>> the brake lights doing when the turn signals aren't working? What do
>> the 4 ways do when the turn signals aren't working?- Hide quoted text -

Turn signal switch. The clockspring is a common failure point for the
horn. It can be checked easily while fixing the turn signal switch.