newbie to MX5/Miata question

Old August 29th 05, 02:16 PM
Vamp

Default newbie to MX5/Miata question

hey, i'm from the UK and currently drive a nice standard MR2 turbo jap
import. i've had the odd speeding ticket so my insurance has gone up a bit
but also the running costs of the MR2 turbo are a bit high as i'm finding
out!

i'm considering 'down grading' a bit (no offence MX5 owners haha) and going
for an MX5 to replace my MR2. can anyone point me to a good website where i
can find out about the MX5? like all the special editions and how i know if
it's a 90bhp one? also any advantages to having a eunos import? could you
get away with running a jap import on 95ron fuel? (i know this causes probs
for my MR2 turbo and have always run it on super unleaded)

i heard the 1.6 is good for super charger which is something i'd like to
consider later on so would appreciate info on that too. i.e what kinda power
increase i could get and cost ect.
oh and anyone give a few examples to servicing costs? when do cam belt and
oil changes need to be done?

also any good UK MX5 clubs out there in the uk?

sorry for all the questions guys!!!

Old August 29th 05, 04:45 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Vamp" > wrote:

> can anyone point me to a good website where i
> can find out about the MX5?

http://www.miata.net/

Though the site is focused on the American MX-5 community, the FAQ and
Garage sections will answer almost any question you might have. You'll
also find links to UK clubs and other resources.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 29th 05, 06:16 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Vamp wrote:

> hey, i'm from the UK and currently drive a nice standard MR2 turbo jap
> import. i've had the odd speeding ticket so my insurance has gone up a bit
> but also the running costs of the MR2 turbo are a bit high as i'm finding
> out!
>
> i'm considering 'down grading' a bit (no offence MX5 owners haha) and going
> for an MX5 to replace my MR2. can anyone point me to a good website where i
> can find out about the MX5? like all the special editions and how i know if
> it's a 90bhp one? also any advantages to having a eunos import? could you
> get away with running a jap import on 95ron fuel? (i know this causes probs
> for my MR2 turbo and have always run it on super unleaded)
>
> i heard the 1.6 is good for super charger which is something i'd like to
> consider later on so would appreciate info on that too. i.e what kinda power
> increase i could get and cost ect.
> oh and anyone give a few examples to servicing costs? when do cam belt and
> oil changes need to be done?
>
> also any good UK MX5 clubs out there in the uk?

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk

See the forum (when it's working - it's been b0rked all weekend) for
detailed advice and FAQs.

The MX-5 is a MUCH more practical car than the MR2. You can actually
put luggage in it; I got three 14" wheels (no tyres) in the boot
yesterday, with another one in the passenger footwell.
Old August 29th 05, 07:15 PM
Vamp

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Vamp wrote:
>
>> hey, i'm from the UK and currently drive a nice standard MR2 turbo jap
>> import. i've had the odd speeding ticket so my insurance has gone up a
>> bit but also the running costs of the MR2 turbo are a bit high as i'm
>> finding out!
>>
>> i'm considering 'down grading' a bit (no offence MX5 owners haha) and
>> going for an MX5 to replace my MR2. can anyone point me to a good website
>> where i can find out about the MX5? like all the special editions and how
>> i know if it's a 90bhp one? also any advantages to having a eunos import?
>> could you get away with running a jap import on 95ron fuel? (i know this
>> causes probs for my MR2 turbo and have always run it on super unleaded)
>>
>> i heard the 1.6 is good for super charger which is something i'd like to
>> consider later on so would appreciate info on that too. i.e what kinda
>> power increase i could get and cost ect.
>> oh and anyone give a few examples to servicing costs? when do cam belt
>> and oil changes need to be done?
>>
>> also any good UK MX5 clubs out there in the uk?

> http://www.mx5oc.co.uk
>
> See the forum (when it's working - it's been b0rked all weekend) for
> detailed advice and FAQs.
>
> The MX-5 is a MUCH more practical car than the MR2. You can actually put
> luggage in it; I got three 14" wheels (no tyres) in the boot yesterday,
> with another one in the passenger footwell.

well my MR2 is the MK2 so has way more boot space than the current MR2. i
love the thing to bits but i need something with lower insurance and running
costs. i'd love another MK1 MR2 but the rust is getting the best of them so
for me the MX5 MK1 is the best bet really as the MK3 MR2's are still getting
good money and have no boot!

plus if i do crave a bit more poke there's always a BBR super charger i
guess

A BMW "Newbie" Question ... amorg7777 BMW 6 May 17th 05 07:41 PM
*Serious* newbie question - tune-up HOWTO? Thomas Cameron Ford Mustang 8 May 10th 05 03:47 AM
newbie question flatfoot2 Jeep 19 February 21st 05 07:47 PM
Silly newbie question - removing wheel nut covers Grunff BMW 14 January 22nd 05 09:26 PM
1979 Lincoln Continental Towncar - Newbie Question... mr.bismuth Antique cars 0 August 18th 04 10:35 AM