Confused! - 1968 Mustang Conv. lower ball joint??

Old December 7th 04, 07:26 PM
Jeffery

Default Confused! - 1968 Mustang Conv. lower ball joint??

Hi there,

I just compared my 1968 mustang conv. lower control arm ball joint with my
spare parts car which is a 1967 coupe and they measure and look identicle (3
rivet bolt pattern). Both are are rivited onto the lower control arm assmbly
which would have to be grinded out in order to bolt on a replacement ball
joint.

However all the parts catlogs seem to only specify a replacement lower ball
joint for the 68-71 mustang but for models prior to 68 one would have to buy
the complete lower control arm assembly. What is the difference that i'm not
seeing?

Also which other car (make and model) take the same lower control arm ball
joint as my 68 convertible which I could use as a substitute?

Regards,
Amar (South Africa)
68 mustang convertble (WIP)
68 coupe (restored)
67 coupe (oops! parts car)

Old December 7th 04, 07:36 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Just a thought, Jeffrey... could it be that the part was changed in 68, so
that the ball joint WAS the replaceable type?

And if you ordered the whole arm, you would see the same?

IOW, the arm on the 67 might have been replaced.

Old December 7th 04, 07:54 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Disregard that... there must be SOMETHNG different

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...ntrol-arms.htm

Backyard Mechanic opined in :

Old December 8th 04, 02:56 AM
Stuart&Janet

You would be wise to replace the entire arm if it is the original. Take this advice from
someone who has had one snap in half while driving a vintage Mustang. As for the '67's
they are a unique lower control arm for that year only. They use a different style of
strut rod similar to the '66. In '68 the strut rod got a "dogs leg" in it and the control
arm holes changed as a result. HTH StuK