The cruise control on my olds 88 quit working. What is likely wrong?

Old May 29th 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Julie[_2_]

Default The cruise control on my olds 88 quit working. What is likely wrong?

What is likely wrong and how do I fix it

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/the-...ke-114567-.htm

Old May 29th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Thu, 29 May 2014 02:18:02 +0000, Julie
> wrote:

>What is likely wrong and how do I fix it

What is certainly wrong is that if you don't even know enough to
mention the year of the car, and exactly what it is or isn't doing,
there is nothing we can tell you that will help you fix it yourself.
Old May 29th 14, 10:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:18:02 PM UTC-7, Julie wrote:

> What is likely wrong and how do I fix it?

See if the owner's manual mentions how to put the cruise
control computer into diagnostic mode by flipping the cruise
control switch or button or ignition switch a certain way.
Even my 1986 Toyota can blink diagnostic codes for cruise
control.

Car makers want to make sure that the cruise control shuts
off if the brakes are applied, so check anything brake
related, like the brake lights, brake pedal switch, parking
brake switch (you do use the parking brake, right? If not,
the switch contacts may have crudded up), brake pressure
switch, brake fluid level float switch. A few months ago,
my cruise control wouldn't work because the brake fluid
level was a bit low. I don't know if your cruise control
is controlled by an electric motor, but older ones were
powered by vacuum, so check for electrical connections
or vacuum hoses going to a device that attaches to the
throttle cable.

The best sources of information are factory and Mitchell manuals
at the library or forums that specialize in GM vehicles.
Chilton's, Haynes, and AutoZone.com may have the info, but they're
usually pretty bad for anything computer related, and I haven't
seen a correct wiring diagram in them for any vehicle built in the
past 20 years.
Old May 30th 14, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Julie[_2_]

replying to larrymoencurly , Julie wrote:
> larrymoencurly wrote:
>
> See if the owner's manual mentions how to put the cruise
> control computer into diagnostic mode by flipping the cruise
> control switch or button or ignition switch a certain way.
> Even my 1986 Toyota can blink diagnostic codes for cruise
> control.
> Car makers want to make sure that the cruise control shuts
> off if the brakes are applied, so check anything brake
> related, like the brake lights, brake pedal switch, parking
> brake switch (you do use the parking brake, right? If not,
> the switch contacts may have crudded up), brake pressure
> switch, brake fluid level float switch. A few months ago,
> my cruise control wouldn't work because the brake fluid
> level was a bit low. I don't know if your cruise control
> is controlled by an electric motor, but older ones were
> powered by vacuum, so check for electrical connections
> or vacuum hoses going to a device that attaches to the
> throttle cable.
> The best sources of information are factory and Mitchell manuals
> at the library or forums that specialize in GM vehicles.
> Chilton's, Haynes, and AutoZone.com may have the info, but they're
> usually pretty bad for anything computer related, and I haven't
> seen a correct wiring diagram in them for any vehicle built in the
> past 20 years.

Thank you so much larrymoencurly.
This gives me some things to check out.
I appreciate it!

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/tech/the-...ke-114567-.htm
using MotorsForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.autos.tech and other automotive groups

2000 Mazda Protege ES: Cruise control just quit!! [email protected] Technology 4 February 3rd 09 10:30 PM
1994 explorer cruise control quit working marlow Ford Explorer 6 January 5th 08 02:14 PM
cruise control not working chas Audi 1 July 29th 06 02:56 AM
Cruise Control not working JH Corvette 1 March 12th 05 06:58 AM
cruise control not working. ljadkins Ford Mustang 2 February 19th 05 07:53 AM