1998 Dodge Grand caravan 3.3

Old September 12th 07, 06:05 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Christopher Pine

Default 1998 Dodge Grand caravan 3.3

Replaced belt tensioner within teh last year. It did not fix the squel...
through a lot fo troubleshooting and some just luck.. I seen after washing
the engine capartment out thet the squel went away. I initially thought that
the belts must have been dirty. Well I seen what I think to be the cause.
When I stoped at home I left it running because the squel had returned. I
opend the hood and while I was observing I seen the tensioner go to the
loose side about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and walla the squel stopped. This was an
autozone part. Should I replace the tensioner again with a better quality
part? The belt was also new at the replacement last time.
Thanks for any help.

--
Chris Pine

Ever look at your watch then look away again and you don't know what time it
is?!

Old September 12th 07, 08:31 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Donald Mac Donald

you can have a P/S shim install to stop the squealing and constant belt
breakage
. ..

Old September 12th 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

Old September 13th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Sep 12, 3:34 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> "Christopher Pine" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > Replaced belt tensioner within teh last year. It did not fix the squel...
> > through a lot fo troubleshooting and some just luck.. I seen after washing
> > the engine capartment out thet the squel went away. I initially thought

> that
> > the belts must have been dirty. Well I seen what I think to be the cause.
> > When I stoped at home I left it running because the squel had returned. I
> > opend the hood and while I was observing I seen the tensioner go to the
> > loose side about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and walla the squel stopped. This was an
> > autozone part. Should I replace the tensioner again with a better quality
> > part? The belt was also new at the replacement last time.
> > Thanks for any help.

> > --
> > Chris Pine

> > Ever look at your watch then look away again and you don't know what time

> it
> > is?!

> If you no you have a tensioner problem then you will have to replace it. I
> use only Mopar parts. The squealing went away because the water lubed the
> belt. The belt normally squeals because it hits the side of the P/S pump
> pulley rather then running on the pulling straight
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech- Hide quoted text -

Hello Glenn! I have used your advice before. I looked at the venicle
some more yesterday. I can see the tensioner is sittinf with a slight
angle to teh belt. This I am assumming is not correct and if the pully
was straight the squelling perhaps would not be happening? I think my
next step is to go get dealer part.
I appreciate your help as I did before on other issues. I will let
you know what the new part looks like after installed.

Chris

Old September 13th 07, 06:12 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 12, 3:34 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> > "Christopher Pine" > wrote in message
> >
> > . ..
> >

> > > Replaced belt tensioner within teh last year. It did not fix the

squel...
> > > through a lot fo troubleshooting and some just luck.. I seen after

washing
> > > the engine capartment out thet the squel went away. I initially

thought
> > that
> > > the belts must have been dirty. Well I seen what I think to be the

cause.
> > > When I stoped at home I left it running because the squel had

returned. I
> > > opend the hood and while I was observing I seen the tensioner go to

the
> > > loose side about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and walla the squel stopped. This was

an
> > > autozone part. Should I replace the tensioner again with a better

quality
> > > part? The belt was also new at the replacement last time.
> > > Thanks for any help.

> > > --
> > > Chris Pine

> > > Ever look at your watch then look away again and you don't know what

time
> > it
> > > is?!

> > If you no you have a tensioner problem then you will have to replace it.

> > use only Mopar parts. The squealing went away because the water lubed

the
> > belt. The belt normally squeals because it hits the side of the P/S pump
> > pulley rather then running on the pulling straight
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech- Hide quoted text -

> Hello Glenn! I have used your advice before. I looked at the venicle
> some more yesterday. I can see the tensioner is sittinf with a slight
> angle to teh belt. This I am assumming is not correct and if the pully
> was straight the squelling perhaps would not be happening? I think my
> next step is to go get dealer part.
> I appreciate your help as I did before on other issues. I will let
> you know what the new part looks like after installed.
>
> Chris

Sounds like a plan!!

Old September 14th 07, 01:06 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Sep 13, 11:12 am, "maxpower" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> squel...

> washing

> thought
> > > that

> cause.

> returned. I

> the

> an

> quality

> time
> > > it

> > > If you no you have atensionerproblem then you will have to replace it.

> > > use only Mopar parts. The squealing went away because the water lubed

> the
> > > belt. The belt normally squeals because it hits the side of the P/S pump
> > > pulley rather then running on the pulling straight

> > > Glenn Beasley
> > > Chrysler Tech- Hide quoted text -

> > Hello Glenn! I have used your advice before. I looked at the venicle
> > some more yesterday. I can see thetensioneris sittinf with a slight
> > angle to teh belt. This I am assumming is not correct and if the pully
> > was straight the squelling perhaps would not be happening? I think my
> > next step is to go get dealer part.
> > I appreciate your help as I did before on other issues. I will let
> > you know what the new part looks like after installed.

> > Chris

> Sounds like a plan!!- Hide quoted text -

Well replaced with the mopar part.... $75. It seemded better but
still had squel some. So took belt back off and and scrubed
everything... all the pullies and the belt as well. Cleaned it all up
and runs quite again. I see that the pully for the power steering
pump is a (plastic) nylon material. I do believe that is what was
making all the noise.Well I wonder if it was just the cleaning that
was needed. But regardless no looking back I am so happy it runs quite
again. Thanks for your tips!

By the way I need a vent window motor for the left hand side. What
does an expert call this? I have the old one removed in my hand...
there are many numbers on it.. which one os part number....

Thanks again!
Chris

Old September 14th 07, 09:35 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Sep 13, 11:12 am, "maxpower" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > ups.com...

> > squel...

> > washing

> > thought

> > cause.

> > returned. I

> > the

was
> > an

> > quality

what
> > time

it.

lubed
> > the

pump

> > > Hello Glenn! I have used your advice before. I looked at the venicle
> > > some more yesterday. I can see thetensioneris sittinf with a slight
> > > angle to teh belt. This I am assumming is not correct and if the pully
> > > was straight the squelling perhaps would not be happening? I think my
> > > next step is to go get dealer part.
> > > I appreciate your help as I did before on other issues. I will let
> > > you know what the new part looks like after installed.

> > > Chris

> > Sounds like a plan!!- Hide quoted text -

> Well replaced with the mopar part.... $75. It seemded better but
> still had squel some. So took belt back off and and scrubed
> everything... all the pullies and the belt as well. Cleaned it all up
> and runs quite again. I see that the pully for the power steering
> pump is a (plastic) nylon material. I do believe that is what was
> making all the noise.Well I wonder if it was just the cleaning that
> was needed. But regardless no looking back I am so happy it runs quite
> again. Thanks for your tips!

If the noise was still there when you put the new elt on, it will come
back. If this vehicle ever had a P/S pump replaced there is a good chance
that the pulley may not be on far enough or on to far causing this.

> By the way I need a vent window motor for the left hand side. What
> does an expert call this? I have the old one removed in my hand...
> there are many numbers on it.. which one os part number....

Its called a vent motor. those numbers are no good and expect to pay about
$90 for the part

Old September 16th 07, 07:43 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Christopher Pine

Thanks again for your help!
I got another vent motor from salvage...