Timing belt blues

Old April 26th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Timing belt blues

So I'm a good boy and take my car in to have the belt done at
60,000. Local place I've used before. Gets toward the end of the day
and I call to see the statis. They need a part (an o-ring) and only
Mazda has it. So it has to stay in the garage becaues Mazda is suppost
to overnight this thing. Wait all day today. Still doesn't come. So
now I'm 2 unplanned nights without my car. Sigh... On a good note the
water pump was failing so it's good we found it before it got
bad. Just surprised it's going at 60k.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old April 26th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Scott Streeter wrote:
> So I'm a good boy and take my car in to have the belt done at
> 60,000. Local place I've used before. Gets toward the end of the day
> and I call to see the statis. They need a part (an o-ring) and only
> Mazda has it. So it has to stay in the garage becaues Mazda is suppost
> to overnight this thing. Wait all day today. Still doesn't come. So
> now I'm 2 unplanned nights without my car. Sigh... On a good note the
> water pump was failing so it's good we found it before it got
> bad. Just surprised it's going at 60k.

I know your pain. My car was written off 3 weeks ago (nobody was hurt)
and I'm still shopping for a replacement. If you think a couple of days
is bad ...

As for the water pump - it's always a good idea to replace it with the
timing belt. The part is cheap and most of the labor is already done for
the timing belt change anyway.

--

Mr Q
-------------------
Old April 27th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Mr Q wrote:

> As for the water pump - it's always a good idea to replace it with the
> timing belt. The part is cheap and most of the labor is already done for
> the timing belt change anyway.

What do you mean the part is cheap? The cost is approximately 26 gallons
of U.S. gasoline, for the moment. ;-)

Pat

Old April 27th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> > As for the water pump - it's always a good idea to replace it with the
> > timing belt. The part is cheap and most of the labor is already done for
> > the timing belt change anyway.

> What do you mean the part is cheap? The cost is approximately 26 gallons
> of U.S. gasoline, for the moment.

To extrapolate: if you can't afford a water pump now, just wait a couple
of months, when the price will "drop" to only 15 gallons of gas.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old April 27th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Do miatas have interference engines?

Old April 27th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Don Moore" > wrote:

> Do miatas have interference engines?

No.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old April 28th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Scott Streeter > writes:

> So I'm a good boy and take my car in to have the belt done at
> 60,000. Local place I've used before. Gets toward the end of the day
> and I call to see the statis. They need a part (an o-ring) and only
> Mazda has it. So it has to stay in the garage becaues Mazda is suppost
> to overnight this thing. Wait all day today. Still doesn't come. So
> now I'm 2 unplanned nights without my car. Sigh... On a good note the
> water pump was failing so it's good we found it before it got
> bad. Just surprised it's going at 60k.

Well got the car back yesterday and it's running great. Sucked it took
the extra time for a $3 part but the work was done well and they gave
me a break on the bill too. Even better my friend let me drive his
Lotus Elise to pick up my car.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
1996 Caravan - 3.0L Timing belt replacement aarcuda69062 Dodge 0 November 17th 05 10:10 AM
timing belt tension Ryan Underwood Technology 14 September 25th 05 12:13 AM
broken timing belt blues tnhulk Ford Mustang 50 August 19th 05 12:29 PM
HELP! Tell me if my 1989 e34 525i motor has just died. Wont't start. Timing belt? Fuel system? Starter? AArrgh!! URGENT Mark Amero BMW 6 July 29th 05 04:06 PM