Miata reliability

Old April 27th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Miata reliability

Hello,

i'm thinking of buying a used miata. 8 - 10 years old with low miles. I've
only bought Toyotas and hondas the last 20 years or so. i'm used to cars
lasting until 150 - 200k miles with no major problems. I've read that
Miatas longterm reliability is really good too. Just wondering how these
cars are holding up from 100 - 200k.

Thanks

Old April 27th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Don Moore wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'm thinking of buying a used miata. 8 - 10 years old with low miles.

I've
> only bought Toyotas and hondas the last 20 years or so. i'm used to cars
> lasting until 150 - 200k miles with no major problems. I've read that
> Miatas longterm reliability is really good too. Just wondering how these
> cars are holding up from 100 - 200k.

Well, my Miata is almost 16 years old and has around 107,000 on her so far.
With proper maintenance and timely oil changes, I expect her to last for
250,000+ miles with no major problems. One of our local club members has
over that on his 1991 and has had NO major repairs - just normal
maintenance.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old April 27th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Don Moore wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'm thinking of buying a used miata. 8 - 10 years old with low miles. I've
> only bought Toyotas and hondas the last 20 years or so. i'm used to cars
> lasting until 150 - 200k miles with no major problems. I've read that
> Miatas longterm reliability is really good too. Just wondering how these
> cars are holding up from 100 - 200k.
>
> Thanks

Miata.net used to have a "checklist" of items to inspect before buying a
used Miata. I found it useful.

Best of luck.
Old April 28th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

1991 automatic with 260K miles. Still running strong with nothing more
than scheduled timing belt repl. & regular tune-ups & oil changes. Oil
pressure is about 30lbs psi at warm idle, & 60lbs at 3,500rpm. Very
close readings to an engine w/ 5K miles I'd say. Still doesn't smoke or
use a drop of oil. Someone else mentioned how easy it is to work on
these cars. It's a mechanics dream. I actually replaced my timing belt
in the parking lot where I work. Took about 2hrs tops. Plug wires are a
5 min. job. If you like tinkering with your car yourself, you will LOVE
the Miata. GO FOR IT!

Old April 28th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Thanks everyone for responding. That miata.net is a nice site. I'll be
back after I find a nice one.

Old April 29th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

that is great to hear. i am curious to know what maintenance, if any, you
have done for the automatic transmission. thanks.