Can I use a Miata trailer on a Protege?

Old April 16th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Can I use a Miata trailer on a Protege?

I own a 2000 Mazda Protege ES

Nice car and GREAT reliability but a little boring at
times and no way to haul CARGO at all. If I want to go
to best buy to purchase a new 20: TV... I cant even get
the box inside the Protege trunk or back seat

Soooo..... I'm wondering if I can buy and use a small
trailer for a Miata with my Protege?

That way I could haul things NOW.... but also have the
trailer for when I do buy a Miata. <g>

Will it work? What's a trailer cost?
Old April 16th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I've used a friend's trailer from Harbor Freight with no
complaints. To me, the only reason to consider the one
Lowe's sells is if you have a need to roll heavy things up
onto the trailer. Their trailer has a tailgate that folds
down and is big enough to use as a ramp - the Harbor Freight
one doesn't. Also, if I remember right, you do have to add
your own flooring to the Harbor Freight trailer, but then
the $300 saved can buy a lot of exterior plywood!

Randy

:

> > I own a 2000 Mazda Protege ES
> >
> > Nice car and GREAT reliability but a little boring at
> > times and no way to haul CARGO at all. If I want to go
> > to best buy to purchase a new 20: TV... I cant even get
> > the box inside the Protege trunk or back seat
> >
> > Soooo..... I'm wondering if I can buy and use a small
> > trailer for a Miata with my Protege?
> >
> > That way I could haul things NOW.... but also have the
> > trailer for when I do buy a Miata. <g>
> >
> > Will it work? What's a trailer cost?

> I investigated small trailers, look at Harbor Freight and

check this one out:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6XG&lpage=none

Old April 16th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"BCRandy" > wrote in
:

> To me, the only reason to consider the one Lowe's sells is if you
> have a need to roll heavy things up onto the trailer. Their
> trailer has a tailgate that folds down and is big enough to use as
> a ramp - the Harbor Freight one doesn't.

Which is exactly why I'm looking at the Lowes trailer and not the HF.

> Also, if I remember right, you do have to add your own flooring to
> the Harbor Freight trailer,

Depends entirely which HF trailer you get, they list a bunch of
them.

Old April 17th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote:

>I investigated small trailers, look at Harbor Freight and check this one out:
>
>http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6XG&lpage=none

Yeah..... I could get one of those

But I was thinking more along the lines of a nice
looking Miata trailer that I could not only use for
utility purposes.... but also use to haul luggage and
clothes and such when traveling
Old April 17th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pltrgyst > wrote:

>I don't think there's any such thing as a "Miata trailer." A trailer is a
>trailer; so log as it and the car agree on ball size and wiring, they work. So
>you should be able to use any lightweight trailer, and there are hundreds of
>manufacturers in the US.

OK

I actually thought they made a specific trailer for the
Miata's
Old April 23rd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Some years back, a small trailer was advertized briefly for the Miata. In
reality, it was a motorcycle trailer looking for a new market.