how many mile/kilometer - change timing belt for accord

Old October 10th 04, 06:53 AM
jj

Default how many mile/kilometer - change timing belt for accord

Hi all,

i have 93 honda accord ex with about 125,000 KM on it. i checked a doc on
Honda web site and it said that 90,000 miles is point to change timing
belt. but i also checked with 2 local mechanics and was told that i should
change it around 100,000 KM.

so i am not sure which is correct. what's your opinion?

thanks,
jj
Old October 10th 04, 12:57 PM
Caroline

Do you drive this car in the United States?

If so, the interval is 90,000 miles/6 years.

Later Accords (e.g. the 1994-1995 Accords) added that, if the car saw severe
duty (repeated short distance driving; dusty driving; severe cold driving; salty
snowy area driving; rough or muddy road driving; trailer towing driving), the
interval should be reduced to 60k miles.

See www.autozone.com 's free repair guides, then "Routine Maintenance," then
"Maintenance Schedules," where you can print out a copy of the 1993 Accord's
maintenance schedule (U.S.-driven cars).

"jj" > wrote

Old October 10th 04, 01:39 PM
John Ings

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:53:24 -0700, jj > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>i have 93 honda accord ex with about 125,000 KM on it. i checked a doc on
>Honda web site and it said that 90,000 miles is point to change timing
>belt. but i also checked with 2 local mechanics and was told that i should
>change it around 100,000 KM.

140,000 Km on a milage basis, but also every 72 months (6 years),
whichever is less, so you're way overdue on time.

Old October 10th 04, 02:50 PM
Andrew

jj > wrote:
> Hi all,

> i have 93 honda accord ex with about 125,000 KM on it. i checked a doc on
> Honda web site and it said that 90,000 miles is point to change timing
> belt. but i also checked with 2 local mechanics and was told that i should
> change it around 100,000 KM.
> so i am not sure which is correct. what's your opinion?
> thanks,
> jj

I changed the belt on my '93 Accord at 100k miles (mainly due to slackness
on my part). I would change yours before 90k miles. An aquaintance of mine
had the timing belt on his Civic break at 115k miles. His valves became
rather bent.

I think the mechanics just want your money--60k miles is way too conservative.
But then again, if the belt is 11 years old, perhaps you should change it if
only because of the age.

Andrew
Old October 10th 04, 04:42 PM
John Ings

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:26:37 GMT, Otto > wrote:

>>140,000 Km on a milage basis,

>Is that the same as 90,000 miles on a kilometer basis?

Or 30,000 leagues on an under the sea basis...

Old October 10th 04, 04:44 PM
aal

John Ings wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:26:37 GMT, Otto > wrote:
>

>>>140,000 Km on a milage basis,

>>Is that the same as 90,000 miles on a kilometer basis?

> Or 30,000 leagues on an under the sea basis...

I think it means .000000000000000000025 Parsecs
Old October 10th 04, 05:13 PM
Grahame

I have a 91 Accord and live in Canada and change it every 100,000 kms. The
owners manual says 144,000 kms.

Old October 10th 04, 05:16 PM
jj

thanks. i'll change it soon because even milage is less than 90,000 miles
but the age of the car.

thanks again. by the way i am driving in Canada

jj

Old October 10th 04, 07:17 PM
John Ings

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:44:49 GMT, aal > wrote:

>>>Is that the same as 90,000 miles on a kilometer basis?

>> Or 30,000 leagues on an under the sea basis...
>>

>I think it means .000000000000000000025 Parsecs

On an interstellar basis?

No, 0.5 light seconds on an interplanetary basis.

Old October 10th 04, 09:39 PM
Rattus the RAT

"John Ings" > wrote in message

> >> Or 30,000 leagues on an under the sea basis...
> >>

> >I think it means .000000000000000000025 Parsecs

> On an interstellar basis?
>
> No, 0.5 light seconds on an interplanetary basis.

Makes me realize... My car now has over one light second of mileage!

RAT