Tire Pressure

Old May 3rd 05, 03:05 AM
Lynn Martin

The Bentley Manual (1970-79) sez:

Conventional Tire Inflation Pressures (Bias ply):

Beetle, Ghia, to December 1972; 1970 Convertible; With 1-2 persons - 16 psi
Front, 24 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 17 psi Front, 26 psi Rear

Super Beetle, Convertible from 1971 up to Dec. 1972; With 1-2 persons - 16
psi Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear

All models, from Jan. 1973; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear;
Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear

--------------------------------------

Radial Tire Inflation Pressures (Radial ply)

Beetle, Ghia, to December 1972; 1970 Convertible; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi
Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear

Super Beetle, Convertible from 1971 up to Dec. 1972; With 1-2 persons - 18
psi Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear

All models, from Jan. 1973; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear;
Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear

- NOTE: Increase the pressures in conventional bias ply tires by 3 psi for
prolonged high speeds but never exceed the maximum tire inflation pressure
designated on the tire sidewall.

Glove compartment in my 74 super sez 18/29 for bias and radial. I was just
wondering if these values were right or not. Probably wouldn't hurt to have
mid 20's pressures. But it would probably drive like a tractor any higher.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Lynn
1974 Superbeetle

ink.net...

Old May 3rd 05, 04:21 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Dan Smith" > wrote in message

> GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
> suicidal???
>
> You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
> you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
>
> You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for more
> than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
> driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
>
> Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to do???
> Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and

the
> car manufacturers recommendations???

dude calm down..its obvious you are no tire tech so maybe read your sidewall
sometime...the max psi is listed as a cold temp....this pressure is set with
a tollerance for an increase in pressure due to heat....it is not uncommon
to gain up to 5-6 psi in summer weather on the interstate, and the tire
manufacturers know it.....so don't have a stroke, your point is not only
wrong, but basically pointless....(BTW "put yourself in the car the pressure
goes up" is incorrect too...the max weight is also what the max pressure is
designed for...sheesh...)

Old May 3rd 05, 04:42 AM
Dan Smith

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
> >

> > GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
> > suicidal???
> >
> > You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
> > you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
> >
> > You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for

more
> > than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
> > driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
> >
> > Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to

do???
> > Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and

> the
> > car manufacturers recommendations???
> >

> dude calm down..its obvious you are no tire tech so maybe read your

sidewall
> sometime...the max psi is listed as a cold temp....this pressure is set

with
> a tollerance for an increase in pressure due to heat....it is not uncommon
> to gain up to 5-6 psi in summer weather on the interstate, and the tire
> manufacturers know it.....so don't have a stroke, your point is not only
> wrong, but basically pointless....(BTW "put yourself in the car the

pressure
> goes up" is incorrect too...the max weight is also what the max pressure

is
> designed for...sheesh...)

So Joey, are you saying the tire manufacturer knows more about the air
pressure I should have in my tires than the car manufacturer knows? Hardly!

My point is 35psi is a lot of pressure over the recommended front tire
pressure on the car. Are you saying this is OK? Because it's not. It's
flat out dangerous. It's almost double the recommended pressure. It's
unsafe. It's WRONG!

So don't tell me my point is wrong.

Old May 3rd 05, 04:45 AM
Dan Smith

"Lynn Martin" > wrote in message
t...
> The Bentley Manual (1970-79) sez:

> Conventional Tire Inflation Pressures (Bias ply):
>
> Beetle, Ghia, to December 1972; 1970 Convertible; With 1-2 persons - 16

psi
> Front, 24 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 17 psi Front, 26 psi Rear
>
> Super Beetle, Convertible from 1971 up to Dec. 1972; With 1-2 persons - 16
> psi Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear
>
> All models, from Jan. 1973; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi Front, 29 psi

Rear;
> Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> Radial Tire Inflation Pressures (Radial ply)
>
> Beetle, Ghia, to December 1972; 1970 Convertible; With 1-2 persons - 18

psi
> Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear
>
> Super Beetle, Convertible from 1971 up to Dec. 1972; With 1-2 persons - 18
> psi Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear
>
> All models, from Jan. 1973; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi Front, 29 psi

Rear;
> Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear
>
> - NOTE: Increase the pressures in conventional bias ply tires by 3 psi for
> prolonged high speeds but never exceed the maximum tire inflation pressure
> designated on the tire sidewall.
>

> Glove compartment in my 74 super sez 18/29 for bias and radial. I was

just
> wondering if these values were right or not. Probably wouldn't hurt to

have
> mid 20's pressures. But it would probably drive like a tractor any

higher.

> Thanks for everyone's help!
>
> Lynn
> 1974 Superbeetle
>

> "Mike64Bug" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > The 18/29 psi applies to the original equipment bias ply tires

only.(which
> > you
> > don't have anymore) Radial tires have always required more air pressure
> > than the same size bias ply tire. 18 psi in a radial tire would be
> > dangerously
> > low. Radial tires are not supposed to have a bulge in the sidewall when
> > you
> > look at them from the front or back like a lot of people seem to think.
> > On the other hand max pressure(35psi) for a radial tire that size would

be
> > bit too much unless you were carrying a ton of extra weight. You'll
> > probably
> > find that mid twenties in the front works well.

Lynn, the pressures you posted are right. Mike is making up nonsense.

Old May 3rd 05, 05:24 AM
Jim Adney

On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:53:27 -0500 "Lynn Martin"
> wrote:

>I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece on
>the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>
>Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
>pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and Rear
>29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.

The sticker is correct. You could add a couple of pounds to each,
especially if the car is heavily loaded, but don't inflate it the same
as your Chevy. The reason the front tires get so little pressure is
that they have so little weight on them.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old May 3rd 05, 05:33 AM
Dan Smith

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
> >

> > GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
> > suicidal???
> >
> > You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
> > you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
> >
> > You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for

more
> > than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
> > driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
> >
> > Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to

do???
> > Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and

> the
> > car manufacturers recommendations???
> >

> dude calm down..its obvious you are no tire tech so maybe read your

sidewall
> sometime...the max psi is listed as a cold temp....this pressure is set

with
> a tollerance for an increase in pressure due to heat....it is not uncommon
> to gain up to 5-6 psi in summer weather on the interstate, and the tire
> manufacturers know it.....so don't have a stroke, your point is not only
> wrong, but basically pointless....(BTW "put yourself in the car the

pressure
> goes up" is incorrect too...the max weight is also what the max pressure

is
> designed for...sheesh...)

Oh, and the max pressure isn't listed as a cold temp, it's listed as a max
pressure. Max means max.

The normal car manufacturer's tire pressure recommendation is the cold
inflation pressure you're thinking of.

Yes, while driving it's not uncommon for the tire to gain pressure in the
summer weather or in cold weather either. And that was my point. If
someone is foolish enough to air up their tires to the maximum then they
have no leeway for normal pressure increases due to load and friction.

You also said, ""put yourself in the car the pressure
goes up" is incorrect ".

Who are you trying to BS? Of course the tire pressure goes up as the load
increases. You're talking nonsense.

Since you don't think tire pressure goes up as the load goes up you
definitely don't know what you're talking about.

If I air up my tires to the car manufacturer's recommended pressures and
then I put 400 pounds of people in the car obviously the tire pressure goes
up.

Old May 3rd 05, 08:58 AM
tricky

I may have been wrong for years... I learned ( I think from the AA
(AAA) ) that before a long journey, to put a couple of extra pounds in
your tyres. When they warm up, they soften and need more air.

As for loading up your car, 'my' thoughts were, a given volume of air in
a given space, give a constant pressure. For it to go up 'much' when
you load the car, you would have to see a serious flat spot (less space)
on the bottom of the tyre.

I havent looked recently, but I thought the MAX pressure was like 135psi
or something way up there ?

Just my thoughts

Rich

Old May 3rd 05, 10:09 AM
Jan Andersson

tricky wrote:

> I may have been wrong for years... I learned ( I think from the AA
> (AAA) ) that before a long journey, to put a couple of extra pounds in
> your tyres. When they warm up, they soften and need more air.

Air is a gas, which when heated, expands.
On race cars, tire pressures are sometimes critical. You put a certain
pressure in the tires before the race,
and when you immediately measure the tire pressure during the first
seconds of pitstop, you will find that the tire pressures have increased
by 50% easily.
Granted, in that environment the race slicks also get much hotter than
you'd ever see your street tires get...

Jan (Race car mechanic)
Old May 3rd 05, 11:04 AM
Tim Rogers

"Jim Adney" > wrote in message

> The sticker is correct. You could add a couple of pounds to each,
> especially if the car is heavily loaded, but don't inflate it the same
> as your Chevy. The reason the front tires get so little pressure is
> that they have so little weight on them.

....................Correct! And if the front tires are larger than the std.
165's, they should have less pressure, not more. My '77 has 185/65-15's on
the front and I've been running 16 psi for about 10,000 miles now. These
tires are wearing evenly and handle superbly even when cornering and braking
hard. With no front bumper, There is only about 425 lbs. load on each front
tire which is way way below the load rating of these tires. A tire's
cross-section shape is determined by the load and the pressure working to
counteract the other and less load always requires less pressure to maintain
the optimal shape that maximises the contact patch on the pavement while not
sacrificing the structural integrity of the tire. Formula 1 racing cars use
less than 25 psi on the front tires I read somewhere because they have large
profiles and only 200 lbs. load per front tire at rest and still only about
800 lbs. load per tire from the downforce generated by the wings & spoilers
that are used to increase traction at 200 mph! The worst aspect of this
'theory' that the front tires on a bug should be inflated to the twenty or
thirty psi range is that the tread's grip during braking and cornering goes
way down. I've done a lot of 'seat of the pants' experimenting with this
question over the years and I drive like a maniac sometimes. This goes
beyond everyone's right to their own opinion for me because I've seen
through direct experience that overinflated front tires on a bug are a
direct cause for loss of control at high speeds when cornering and braking.
When the road is wet, this loss of tire grip from overinflated tires is even
worse.

Old May 3rd 05, 03:49 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Jim Adney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:53:27 -0500 "Lynn Martin"
> > wrote:
>
> >I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece

on
> >the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
> >
> >Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> >pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and

Rear
> >29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.

> The sticker is correct. You could add a couple of pounds to each,
> especially if the car is heavily loaded, but don't inflate it the same
> as your Chevy. The reason the front tires get so little pressure is
> that they have so little weight on them.
>
> -
> Jim Adney
> Madison, WI 53711 USA

It was overwhelming for me when I first saw the listed tire pressure for my
'66 bug. I had to question the settings also, when I was used to inflating
the tires on my other vehicles at 32 psi. I'm putting in 20 psi front, and
28 psi rear in my Bug. My car handles better and rides a lot smoother at
these tire pressures, however I'm not a racer and never intended to drive
the VW fast.
Rob and Dave's VW website have experimented with tire pressures, I also got
to speak with Rob by phone not only on tires but other related VW matters as
well. I really like Rob for his expertise and honesty on VW's. Since he's
done most of the research, I'll trust his recommendations.
http://www.vw-resource.com/tires.html#pressure
-tom