Jetta problem with voltage regulator causing transmission problem

Old December 29th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Jetta problem with voltage regulator causing transmission problem

I have a 1999 VW Jetta that had a voltage regulator failure, causing a
high voltage output that I think affected the transmission shift
solenoids. I say that because the transmission shifted fine before the
regulator failed. It's stuck in second gear and I can't get it to
shift. Does anyone know which component in the transmission that may
have been damaged?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards
Ross
Old December 29th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_2_]

scan the engine and trans for faults and post them.

Old December 30th 07, 08:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

> wrote in message
>I have a 1999 VW Jetta that had a voltage regulator failure, causing a
> high voltage output that I think affected the transmission shift
> solenoids. I say that because the transmission shifted fine before the
> regulator failed. It's stuck in second gear and I can't get it to
> shift. Does anyone know which component in the transmission that may
> have been damaged?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.

That sounds like limp home mode to me. Might not be actual damage. Get any
fault codes scanned and go from there.

Old December 31st 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
selecteurocars

On Dec 30, 2:36 am, "Matt B." > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >I have a 1999 VW Jetta that had a voltage regulator failure, causing a
> > high voltage output that I think affected the transmission shift
> > solenoids. I say that because the transmission shifted fine before the
> > regulator failed. It's stuck in second gear and I can't get it to
> > shift. Does anyone know which component in the transmission that may
> > have been damaged?

> > Thanks for your help in advance.

> That sounds like limp home mode to me. Might not be actual damage. Get any
> fault codes scanned and go from there.

If an early '99 Jetta may be bad Valve body or harness for A/T--again
must check codes including transmission codes. If transmission codes
are hard codes-won't clear and you want to try to fix yourself, we
could point you toward an excellent book our store, www.SelectEuroCars.com
uses to test these. Unfortunately then, when the repair is done,
trans fluid must be refilled to proper level and that should be done
with VAG-Com, a factory computer or the equivalent.
Old January 1st 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_2_]

Don't rule the TCM as it's more sensitive to voltage spikes than the
internal solenoids.

Old January 2nd 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Dec 29 2007, 10:04*am, wrote:
> I have a 1999 VW Jetta that had a voltage regulator failure, causing a
> high voltage output that I think affected the transmission shift
> solenoids. I say that because the transmission shifted fine before the
> regulator failed. It's stuck in second gear and I can't get it to
> shift. Does anyone know which component in the transmission that may
> have been damaged?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> Regards
> Ross

I scanned the computer on this 00 jetta 2.0 liter
and these are the codes that showed.
P0753A Shift Selonoid A Electrical
P0758D Shift Selonoid B Electrical
P0763D Shift Selonoid C Electrical
P0768D Shift Selonoid D Electrical
P0773 Shift Selonoid E Electrical
P0785 Shift Timing Selonoid Malfunction
P0748 Presure Control Selonoid A Electrical

Does anyone know what my problem could be? Do you think it is the
computer?
Old January 2nd 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

First off........did you buy this Jetta new (10 year or 100,000 mile warranty on engine and transmission) Not sure if it covers the TCM or wiring, but it should cover the trans.

fuse, relay or ground maybe?
Does the dash indicator show the proper gear selection?

maybe cleaning up the wiring plugs after that voltage spike.
*** did you clear those codes?

I guess I might try driving the transmission with the valve body wiring disconnected to see if that would change shifting of the gears.