rough idle a4 1996 2.8 12v, now hesitates during acceleration?

Old February 23rd 08, 03:18 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Devious!

Default rough idle a4 1996 2.8 12v, now hesitates during acceleration?

Nightmare car from the start. Had rough idle prob for a year now,
mostly in cold. Through tons of $ at her, turned out to be idle
valve. Doh! All vacuum lines,breather hose, redone, new TB. Now
after two weeks of smooth sailing, idle is extremely irradic, and
now hesitates while accelrating. Audible "ticking" sound from
bonnet, is this a distributor/coil problem? Also put in new plugs,
no effect, but plug wires look old.

Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 5
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Old February 23rd 08, 06:19 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article om>,
(Devious!) wrote:

> Nightmare car from the start. Had rough idle prob for a year now,
> mostly in cold. Through tons of $ at her, turned out to be idle
> valve. Doh! All vacuum lines,breather hose, redone, new TB. Now
> after two weeks of smooth sailing, idle is extremely irradic, and
> now hesitates while accelrating. Audible "ticking" sound from
> bonnet, is this a distributor/coil problem? Also put in new plugs,
> no effect, but plug wires look old.

> Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 5
> * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
> *
http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

An ignition problem gets worse with compression. It would run well at
idle but shake at high throttle with low RPM.

Did anything get gunked up while you had a faulty idle valve?

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old February 23rd 08, 08:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"Devious!" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> Nightmare car from the start. Had rough idle prob for a year now,
> mostly in cold. Through tons of $ at her, turned out to be idle
> valve. Doh! All vacuum lines,breather hose, redone, new TB. Now
> after two weeks of smooth sailing, idle is extremely irradic, and
> now hesitates while accelrating. Audible "ticking" sound from
> bonnet, is this a distributor/coil problem? Also put in new plugs,
> no effect, but plug wires look old.

> Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 5
> * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
> * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

it does make us wonder about skilled technicians........they just take one
bit out and put another bit in. And even if it does not fix the problem we
have to pay for it. They do this most probably knowing the right bit has yet
to be changed.

all I can add is fit a new set of leads................you have spent plenty
what's a couple quid more.

Old February 23rd 08, 06:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Can't you get someone to read what is happening to the engine with a vag-com
tool?

If the wires are bad then there should be misfires!
Also read the coolant temperature in the ECM.

Old April 17th 15, 02:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave[_71_]

replying to Devious!, Dave wrote:
> yeah wrote:
>
> Nightmare car from the start. Had rough idle prob for a year now,
> mostly in cold. Through tons of $ at her, turned out to be idle
> valve. Doh! All vacuum lines,breather hose, redone, new TB. Now
> after two weeks of smooth sailing, idle is extremely irradic, and
> now hesitates while accelrating. Audible "ticking" sound from
> bonnet, is this a distributor/coil problem? Also put in new plugs,
> no effect, but plug wires look

Try spraying the plug wire with WD40 if it goes away then it is moisture in
the wires. Replace the wires especially if they are cracked apart.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/audi/roug...atio-9186-.htm