Car Buying Advice

Old January 29th 06, 12:48 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Car Buying Advice

Dennis W wrote:

> So True

So true, what?

E.P.

Old January 29th 06, 12:52 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Dennis W wrote:
> Ed Pirrero wrote:
> > Guy King wrote:
> >
> >>The message <GryCf.14071$JT.2694@fed1read06>
> >>from "Ian S" > contains these words:

> >>Given the amount garages charge to change belts, I worked out the other
> >>day that the wife's Clio should have a pound put aside for every tank of
> >>fuel just for cambelts.
> >>That's why I do it myself! The A100 is due this summer, but at least
> >>that's easy to get to.

> > Yup. Changing ANY car's belt these days is expensive. And really
> > damned expensive at a dealer.
> >
> > Mercedes, BMW - they don't get away any cheaper. Heck, even a VW is
> > steep.
> >
> > E.P.
> >

> Ok, don't believe me. Check JD Powers, Edmunds, Kelly Blue book ratings.
> All say Audi is below average for reliability. That's what comes with a
> car that is well above average in performance and handing.

None of those guys purchase or drive my cars for me. My Honda Accord
cost me a ton more to repair than any three of the Audis I've ever
owned. Alternators, two head gaskets, power steering pump, fuel pump,
windsheild wiper motor, twice, plus all the regular stuff like brakes
and cam belts. Which, BTW, wasn't cheap to replace.

Gosh, by your logic, this means that they are all crap.

Good thing you'll never own another Audi. Why are you hanging out in
the Audi newsgroup, again? Trolling?

E.P.

UrS6

Old January 29th 06, 06:37 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Ed Pirrero" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ian S wrote:
> > "Ed Pirrero" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

oups.com...

> [...]

common!

> > problems.

than

US$1000?

them."

like

> > independent

$1000.

Ah, no. $400 for a Lexus LS 400 according to this http://tinyurl.com/9jzuf

> > The fact of the matter is that the A4 suffers from a variety of problems
> > including TB failure (even a class-action lawsuit), control arm failure,

oil
> > leaks, cooling system problems, coil problems - the list is long and the
> > repairs fairly costly. Some like the coil fiasco have been rectified and
> > newer models may not suffer from the ailments of the previous models.

> LOL. Yeah, pick some variety of faults, the same sorts and spectrum as
> every other manufacturer, and claim somehow that Audi is different.
> Good one.

What modern car, pray tell, has had problems with control arm failure within
60,000 miles? Or the notorious coil problem? Even Hyundai now has a better
reliability rating than Audi.

> > I notice that nowhere have you claimed to actually own an A4 so perhaps

we
> > should take your pontificating about the A4's reliability with the
> > proverbial grain of salt.

> 2001 S4. Never so much as a hiccup. A fine car, and I'd own another.
> Sold it for more than I purchased it for, in fact.

Oh yeah, you loved it so much you got rid of it. LOL! So I take it you don't
own an A4. I do; bought it new and have put over 80,000 miles on it. I am
fully aware of its pros and cons.

Old January 30th 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ian S wrote:
> "Ed Pirrero" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Ian S wrote:
> > > "Ed Pirrero" > wrote in message
> > > ups.com...

> oups.com...

> common!

> > > problems.

> than

> US$1000?

> them."

> like

> > > independent

> $1000.

> > > Except I'm not typical. I was planning to do it myself as I have the
> > > expertise but, due to time constraints, shopped around to find an
> > > independent garage that specialized in Audis. The typical A4 owner would
> > > have it done at the dealer and pay at least $1,000.

> > This is different for Mercedes and BMW, how?
> >
> > Lexus and Infiniti also have this sort of charge for TB replacement.

> Ah, no. $400 for a Lexus LS 400 according to this http://tinyurl.com/9jzuf

Not around here, they don't. It's about the same for all the high-end
cars (within $100 or so).

And that didn't look like an official offer - it looked like a claim
from some guy.

> > > The fact of the matter is that the A4 suffers from a variety of problems
> > > including TB failure (even a class-action lawsuit), control arm failure,

> oil
> > > leaks, cooling system problems, coil problems - the list is long and the
> > > repairs fairly costly. Some like the coil fiasco have been rectified and
> > > newer models may not suffer from the ailments of the previous models.

> > LOL. Yeah, pick some variety of faults, the same sorts and spectrum as
> > every other manufacturer, and claim somehow that Audi is different.
> > Good one.

> What modern car, pray tell, has had problems with control arm failure within
> 60,000 miles? Or the notorious coil problem? Even Hyundai now has a better
> reliability rating than Audi.

Transmission hassles in Hondas, etc, etc. No modern maker is flawless,
and self-selected polls are worthless as real data. Sorry, I'm not
buying your line of "reasoning."

> > > I notice that nowhere have you claimed to actually own an A4 so perhaps

> we
> > > should take your pontificating about the A4's reliability with the
> > > proverbial grain of salt.

> > 2001 S4. Never so much as a hiccup. A fine car, and I'd own another.
> > Sold it for more than I purchased it for, in fact.

> Oh yeah, you loved it so much you got rid of it. LOL!

Uhh, are you talking out of your ass again? Why, yes you are! I
didn't sell it because it had a problem, or because I didn't like it.
I had other reasons that had nothing at all to do with the car itself.

> So I take it you don't
> own an A4.

But I did. And it was flawless in it's function. Now, take another
fork-full of crow.

E.P.

Alfa 156 buying advice Rody Alfa Romeo 18 September 9th 05 10:49 PM
Need advice re. buying a used XJ mpitke Jeep 7 August 15th 05 06:01 AM
advice on car buying G General 9 April 14th 05 07:06 PM
advice on car buying G Technology 9 April 14th 05 07:06 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM