How long Do AutoZone Batteries last?

Old October 14th 04, 06:52 AM

Default How long Do AutoZone Batteries last?

On 12 Oct 2004 19:57:04 -0700, (Sleepy
Joe) wrote:

>Hi!
>I bought an AutoZone battery and installed it on 5-28-02.
> I think it is time for a new one.
> With the headlights on, foot on brake pedal/stop lights on, and turn
>signals on, sometimes the turn signals will not blink.
> After charging the battery I repeat the same procedure and the turn
>signals blink or cancel like they should.

Is this while the car is running? If so, that's not a battery problem.

> I charged the battery last month and now I am having to charge it
>again.
> I think the battery may not be holding a charge.
> I checked the v-belt and it was not loose.
> My voltmeter indicates about 14 volts showing that the battery is
>being charged when I am driving.
> It may be because I only drive it about 10 miles two or three times
>a week and the battery does not have a chance to get completely
>recharged after starting the engine.
> Before it gets cold out, I think I am going to pork it over for a
>Sears Die Hard Weather Handler battery, $59.95 dollars US or so as
>compared to $39.95 for an AutoZone battery.
> Would you guys recommend that I replace the battery for more
>reliability?
>Thanks! Any help is appreciated!
>jplikesm73vwbttl

Sure! It sounds like you equate "more expensive" with "better." So if
I were you I'd buy the more expensive battery!

Sears batteries are manufactured by Exide. Autozone's are manufactured
by Johnson Controls. Exide's warrantycosts/sales ratio is 2.3%.
Johnson Controls' is 0.2% for last year. So you're only about 12 times
more likely to need to bring the Sears battery back.

http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20040518.html

Until the mid/late '90's Sears bought their batteries from Johnson
Controls. In a bid to save money Sears started using Exide. .Autozone
took over Johnson Controls production from Sears. IOW...Autozone
Duralast Gold=old Sears Diehard Gold etc from the mid nineties on.

Personally, my 6 year warranty(one of their cheaper ones) autozone
battery has lasted over 7 years. Still working too.

Have them test it. They'll do it for free and/or charge it. I mean, I
know that old VW's don't have electrical problems or
anything...but.... ;-)

Just remember *you* said "any help is appreciated"!

(I do hope this helps. Many times it is a crapshoot. Batteries are
like anything else...you get good ones, you get bad ones. The guys at
autozone have been pretty straight with me so far. I know people
don't want to believe that there is something wrong with their baby
but "short happens"! I've brought the battery I mentioned above in
three times, they've charged it, tested it, I left, ****ed...then I
found the problem. And I've been working on the damn things for
years.)
Old October 15th 04, 02:51 PM
Dennis Wik

I have had two problems like that before. The first time was the straps
being corroded and shot (both the battery to bolt and the underneith
strap to trans). The second was the fan belt itself being to loose.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old October 24th 04, 03:25 PM
Brenda

wrote in message >. ..
> On 12 Oct 2004 19:57:04 -0700,
(Sleepy
> Joe) wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >I bought an AutoZone battery and installed it on 5-28-02.
> > I think it is time for a new one.
> > With the headlights on, foot on brake pedal/stop lights on, and turn
> >signals on, sometimes the turn signals will not blink.
> > After charging the battery I repeat the same procedure and the turn
> >signals blink or cancel like they should.

> Is this while the car is running? If so, that's not a battery problem.
>
> > I charged the battery last month and now I am having to charge it
> >again.
> > I think the battery may not be holding a charge.
> > I checked the v-belt and it was not loose.
> > My voltmeter indicates about 14 volts showing that the battery is
> >being charged when I am driving.
> > It may be because I only drive it about 10 miles two or three times
> >a week and the battery does not have a chance to get completely
> >recharged after starting the engine.
> > Before it gets cold out, I think I am going to pork it over for a
> >Sears Die Hard Weather Handler battery, $59.95 dollars US or so as
> >compared to $39.95 for an AutoZone battery.
> > Would you guys recommend that I replace the battery for more
> >reliability?
> >Thanks! Any help is appreciated!
> >jplikesm73vwbttl

> Sure! It sounds like you equate "more expensive" with "better." So if
> I were you I'd buy the more expensive battery!
>
> Sears batteries are manufactured by Exide. Autozone's are manufactured
> by Johnson Controls. Exide's warrantycosts/sales ratio is 2.3%.
> Johnson Controls' is 0.2% for last year. So you're only about 12 times
> more likely to need to bring the Sears battery back.

http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20040518.html

> Until the mid/late '90's Sears bought their batteries from Johnson
> Controls. In a bid to save money Sears started using Exide. .Autozone
> took over Johnson Controls production from Sears. IOW...Autozone
> Duralast Gold=old Sears Diehard Gold etc from the mid nineties on.
>
> Personally, my 6 year warranty(one of their cheaper ones) autozone
> battery has lasted over 7 years. Still working too.
>
> Have them test it. They'll do it for free and/or charge it. I mean, I
> know that old VW's don't have electrical problems or
> anything...but.... ;-)
>
> Just remember *you* said "any help is appreciated"!
>
> (I do hope this helps. Many times it is a crapshoot. Batteries are
> like anything else...you get good ones, you get bad ones. The guys at
> autozone have been pretty straight with me so far. I know people
> don't want to believe that there is something wrong with their baby
> but "short happens"! I've brought the battery I mentioned above in
> three times, they've charged it, tested it, I left, ****ed...then I
> found the problem. And I've been working on the damn things for
> years.)

If you really want a battery that will last get a Interstate battery.
End of subject............tony
Old November 8th 04, 09:59 PM

On 24 Oct 2004 07:25:13 -0700, (Brenda) wrote:

wrote in message >. ..
>> On 12 Oct 2004 19:57:04 -0700,
(Sleepy
>> Joe) wrote:
>>
>> >Hi!
>> >I bought an AutoZone battery and installed it on 5-28-02.
>> > I think it is time for a new one.
>> > With the headlights on, foot on brake pedal/stop lights on, and turn
>> >signals on, sometimes the turn signals will not blink.
>> > After charging the battery I repeat the same procedure and the turn
>> >signals blink or cancel like they should.

>> Is this while the car is running? If so, that's not a battery problem.
>>
>> > I charged the battery last month and now I am having to charge it
>> >again.
>> > I think the battery may not be holding a charge.
>> > I checked the v-belt and it was not loose.
>> > My voltmeter indicates about 14 volts showing that the battery is
>> >being charged when I am driving.
>> > It may be because I only drive it about 10 miles two or three times
>> >a week and the battery does not have a chance to get completely
>> >recharged after starting the engine.
>> > Before it gets cold out, I think I am going to pork it over for a
>> >Sears Die Hard Weather Handler battery, $59.95 dollars US or so as
>> >compared to $39.95 for an AutoZone battery.
>> > Would you guys recommend that I replace the battery for more
>> >reliability?
>> >Thanks! Any help is appreciated!
>> >jplikesm73vwbttl

>> Sure! It sounds like you equate "more expensive" with "better." So if
>> I were you I'd buy the more expensive battery!
>>
>> Sears batteries are manufactured by Exide. Autozone's are manufactured
>> by Johnson Controls. Exide's warrantycosts/sales ratio is 2.3%.
>> Johnson Controls' is 0.2% for last year. So you're only about 12 times
>> more likely to need to bring the Sears battery back.

http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20040518.html

>> Until the mid/late '90's Sears bought their batteries from Johnson
>> Controls. In a bid to save money Sears started using Exide. .Autozone
>> took over Johnson Controls production from Sears. IOW...Autozone
>> Duralast Gold=old Sears Diehard Gold etc from the mid nineties on.
>>
>> Personally, my 6 year warranty(one of their cheaper ones) autozone
>> battery has lasted over 7 years. Still working too.
>>
>> Have them test it. They'll do it for free and/or charge it. I mean, I
>> know that old VW's don't have electrical problems or
>> anything...but.... ;-)
>>
>> Just remember *you* said "any help is appreciated"!
>>
>> (I do hope this helps. Many times it is a crapshoot. Batteries are
>> like anything else...you get good ones, you get bad ones. The guys at
>> autozone have been pretty straight with me so far. I know people
>> don't want to believe that there is something wrong with their baby
>> but "short happens"! I've brought the battery I mentioned above in
>> three times, they've charged it, tested it, I left, ****ed...then I
>> found the problem. And I've been working on the damn things for
>> years.)

>If you really want a battery that will last get a Interstate battery.
>End of subject............tony

....manufactured by Johnson Controls on the same assembly line, but
with different plastic colors (if that;'s important to you) as
autozone, advance, and others' batteries. (Contrary to what I said
before, they *are* now supplying Sears now after massive lawsuits
because of Exide batteries.)

http://www.jci.com/corppr/releases/b...release786.asp

"Johnson Controls is the world’s largest manufacturer of lead-acid
automotive batteries, with the leading market share in North America
and Europe. In the U.S., Johnson Controls supplies original equipment
batteries to DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota. The
company supplies private-label aftermarket batteries for Advance Auto,
AutoZone, Costco, Interstate Battery System of America, Pep Boys,
Sears, Wal-Mart and others. In Europe, the company manufactures
original equipment automotive batteries for BMW, DaimlerChrysler,
Ford, PSA, Volkswagen and other automakers. It is a major supplier to
the European independent aftermarket, including customers such as
Robert Bosch GmbH, hypermarkets such as Carrefour, and wholesalers.
Johnson Controls also manufactures the Optima spiral-wound automotive
battery, available worldwide."

Usually interstate costs a little more because the brand isn't usually
sold by discount chains, usually service stations, garages and
independents.

Again, if paying more makes you feel better...go ahead.
Old November 21st 04, 10:35 PM
Brenda

(Brenda) wrote:

> wrote in message >. ..
> >> On 12 Oct 2004 19:57:04 -0700,
(Sleepy

> [...]

> batteries to DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota. The
> company supplies private-label aftermarket batteries for Advance Auto,
> AutoZone, Costco, Interstate Battery System of America, Pep Boys,
> Sears, Wal-Mart and others. In Europe, the company manufactures
> original equipment automotive batteries for BMW, DaimlerChrysler,
> Ford, PSA, Volkswagen and other automakers. It is a major supplier to
> the European independent aftermarket, including customers such as
> Robert Bosch GmbH, hypermarkets such as Carrefour, and wholesalers.
> Johnson Controls also manufactures the Optima spiral-wound automotive
> battery, available worldwide."
>
> Usually interstate costs a little more because the brand isn't usually
> sold by discount chains, usually service stations, garages and
> independents.
>
> Again, if paying more makes you feel better...go ahead.

well that kinda tells me that the "DISCOUNT CHAINS" buy the cheapest
crap and the service stations and garages and independents know there
batteries..
tony
Old November 22nd 04, 09:25 PM
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

(Brenda) wrote:

> [...]
(Sleepy

http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20040518.html

> > >If you really want a battery that will last get a Interstate battery.
> > >End of subject............tony

> > ...manufactured by Johnson Controls on the same assembly line, but
> > with different plastic colors (if that;'s important to you) as
> > autozone, advance, and others' batteries. (Contrary to what I said
> > before, they *are* now supplying Sears now after massive lawsuits
> > because of Exide batteries.)
> >
> > http://www.jci.com/corppr/releases/b...release786.asp
> >
> > "Johnson Controls is the world?s largest manufacturer of lead-acid
> > automotive batteries, with the leading market share in North America
> > and Europe. In the U.S., Johnson Controls supplies original equipment
> > batteries to DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota. The
> > company supplies private-label aftermarket batteries for Advance Auto,
> > AutoZone, Costco, Interstate Battery System of America, Pep Boys,
> > Sears, Wal-Mart and others. In Europe, the company manufactures
> > original equipment automotive batteries for BMW, DaimlerChrysler,
> > Ford, PSA, Volkswagen and other automakers. It is a major supplier to
> > the European independent aftermarket, including customers such as
> > Robert Bosch GmbH, hypermarkets such as Carrefour, and wholesalers.
> > Johnson Controls also manufactures the Optima spiral-wound automotive
> > battery, available worldwide."
> >
> > Usually interstate costs a little more because the brand isn't usually
> > sold by discount chains, usually service stations, garages and
> > independents.
> >
> > Again, if paying more makes you feel better...go ahead.

> well that kinda tells me that the "DISCOUNT CHAINS" buy the cheapest
> crap and the service stations and garages and independents know there
> batteries..
> tony

Hint-- Don't go by what is in the little book as to what battery size
to buy. Get the largest one with the biggest cranking amps that will
fit under your seat. I found they cost the same, well at least at
Costco they do. keep it clean, and in a battery box. Believe it or
not they discharge through he case. Also if not being used for a while
get a Battery Tender Or Battery Pal. Very low milliamp charge keeps
the battery topped up. When the battery tender is not in use on my
bug I keep it on a spare battery in my garage. When we had a black
out I hooked the spare battery up to a 12v floursent light and it
worked for 2 nights till the power went back on.
Joe