new Africa Prado or 95 Japan import?

Old June 9th 05, 10:52 AM
rob

Default new Africa Prado or 95 Japan import?

We're moving to Zambia in a few months and we want to buy a Prado; my
wife works for an aid organization, so we can buy a new vehicle from
Toyota-Gibraltar -- customized for Africa / "extreme climactic
conditions". Alternatively, for just over a third the price, we've
found a 95 (75,000 km, KD-KZJ78W-MET body ) Japanese import already in
Zambia looking for a buyer. We can afford the new one, but it is a
lot of money that will be lost over our anticipated 3+ years in
country in terms of new vehicle depreciation and probably higher
insurance (assuming we don't get the next post in another
right-hand-drive country). On the face of it, and I am a novice
4-wheeler, it seems like the 95 would provide 95% of the enjoyment of
the newer one -- a friend with a 94 Japan import Prado in Zambia is
150% happy with hers, she test drove the 95 and reports it is better
than hers.

My current concerns about the 95 are the 95/96 changes I've been
reading about. In 96 they switched to full-4wd from part-4wd, and I
find books (like an english-language owner's manual) on Amazon covering
96-02 but nothing else. The vehicle would certainly be used for daily
school commutes with the kids, but we're buying because we intend to
do lots of cross-country on the weekends and holidays. I'm
anticipating bad and washed-out roads as opposed to more enthusiast
dune climbing or super-offroad action. I don't understand what
"part-4wd" means for the older Prados -- it clicks in automatically
when a wheel starts to spin, shift into it, or "dirt road coming
honey, let's get out and fiddle with the hubs" ?

Besides the extra money, the main drawback that I can see of the new
one is the (probably small in Zambia) carjack risk.

Both vehicles have similar accessories - bullbar, central locking, AC,
etc. Both are 3.0l diesel, manual transmission.

I'd really like to read your response on my dilemma one way or the
other.

thanks,

rob.

Old June 13th 05, 03:35 PM
Fanie

Get the old one. You will worry less about it and it is still fairly new by
toyota standards.

Regards
Stephen
ups.com...

Old June 17th 05, 12:24 AM
rob

Fanie wrote:
> Get the old one. You will worry less about it and it is still fairly new by
> toyota standards.

Thanks Stephen, I've done as you suggest.

rob.