Smells...

Old October 25th 08, 09:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brad and Karen

Default Smells...

Hey all... I've noticed this a few times, can anyone shed light on it?

The car is the 93 Cobra with a few mods, including shorties, no cats and a full exhaust. When I get the girl going, say, 80-90 mph, there is an odor that comes from the car when I bring it back down to earth. The car runs great, no mechanical problems, but I figure it's something in the exhaust - the odor goes away quickly - something like when you fire up new headers, they'll smell for a while. It's that kind of smell.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thx.

Brad

Old October 26th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
AshtarSheran

"Brad and Karen" > wrote in message
Hey all... I've noticed this a few times, can anyone shed light on it?

The car is the 93 Cobra with a few mods, including shorties, no cats and a
full exhaust. When I get the girl going, say, 80-90 mph, there is an odor
that comes from the car when I bring it back down to earth. The car runs
great, no mechanical problems, but I figure it's something in the exhaust -
the odor goes away quickly - something like when you fire up new headers,
they'll smell for a while. It's that kind of smell.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thx.

Brad

I was getting something like oil, and I found it, the supercharger was
leaking a small amount of oil into the valley of the lower manifold, and it
was evaporating when engine got hot.

Another one is when the heater core goes out, a small leak inside the box
under the dash passenger side, check for green (antifreeze) inside and
outside by the firewall and on ground. Smells for a while, smells like
antifreeze.

If you dont have cats, the muffler could be getting too hot, put a stick on
it and see if it smokes after driving. Saw some glowing bright red mufflers
on a truck once, around dusk.

If you can smell it while driving at 80 mph, could be from engine through
firewall at heater core, can plug up hole.

good luck, let us know what you find

93 5.0 8# KB tuned
87 5.0

Old October 26th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brad and Karen

"AshtarSheran" > wrote in message

> "Brad and Karen" > wrote in message
> Hey all... I've noticed this a few times, can anyone shed light on it?
>
> The car is the 93 Cobra with a few mods, including shorties, no cats and a
> full exhaust. When I get the girl going, say, 80-90 mph, there is an odor
> that comes from the car when I bring it back down to earth. The car runs
> great, no mechanical problems, but I figure it's something in the
> exhaust - the odor goes away quickly - something like when you fire up new
> headers, they'll smell for a while. It's that kind of smell.
>
> Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
>
> Thx.
>
> Brad

> I was getting something like oil, and I found it, the supercharger was
> leaking a small amount of oil into the valley of the lower manifold, and
> it was evaporating when engine got hot.
>
> Another one is when the heater core goes out, a small leak inside the box
> under the dash passenger side, check for green (antifreeze) inside and
> outside by the firewall and on ground. Smells for a while, smells like
> antifreeze.
>
> If you dont have cats, the muffler could be getting too hot, put a stick
> on it and see if it smokes after driving. Saw some glowing bright red
> mufflers on a truck once, around dusk.
>
> If you can smell it while driving at 80 mph, could be from engine through
> firewall at heater core, can plug up hole.
>
> good luck, let us know what you find
>
> 93 5.0 8# KB tuned
> 87 5.0

Good ideas. And thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I'm going to put her
away in a few weeks for the winter but I'll be looking for it before
then. If I find it, I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Brad

Getting rid of cigarette smells? John Burns BMW 13 May 1st 07 07:01 PM
smells like cookies anton[_1_] VW air cooled 4 December 20th 06 06:23 PM
VW Smells bad Elkmor VW air cooled 6 May 26th 06 10:45 AM
Getting rid of smoking smells Ignasi. BMW 18 April 8th 06 09:34 PM
oil smells like gas JohnV@nn Ford Mustang 4 September 21st 05 10:34 PM