First day in 8 years with no VW.

Old December 13th 04, 02:48 AM
rat

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:26:04 -0800, "Matt B." >
wrote:

>If it's any consolation, the only thing Chevy about your Aveo is the bowtie
>badge. The car is a rebadged Daewoo.

Yeah I know that. I really want to take a chisel and remove that
Chevy bowtie! have to control that urge!!!

So far its ok for its price. I tried to find a cheap Golf GL but
they hardly exist. Only 2 in the entire Northern Illinois area.
99.9% of the Golf's here are GLS's. Too far out of my price range at
this moment.

If this Daewoo lasts 4 years I'd be happy.

Old December 13th 04, 03:34 AM
rat

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:40:00 -0500, "Rob Guenther"
> wrote:

>It's still a better looking car then the Toyota Echo, especially the
>diminuative hatchback version (Canada only car... US gets the Scion brand...
>which Canada should also get, since we buy more smaller cars over
>midsize/larger ones).
>
>$10k is a difficult range to get a good car in, especially used... they all
>tend to be higher Kms, old enough to have no more warranty, and right on the
>verge of hitting that point in age where every car needs some major parts
>replacement... There's almost no point to buy a used car that is going to
>need another 5 grand to get it running perfectly again... Most $10k cars my
>friends have bought seem to need brakes, timing belt, exhaust, some minor
>things, usually new shocks, definately tires - and in the case of one
>friend... a new transaxel after only 6 months <ouch>.

That transaxel better have been a warranty job!!

>One poster said he lucked in with late model low kms used cars... well the
>thing is these would still go for around $20+k around here - easily.... Sure
>you save money in depreciation but they will need replacement parts sooner,
>and the insurance may be higher due to it being a more valuable car.
>
>Save your pennies, move up the corporate ladder, hope the Aveo doesn't
>depreciate like crazy... and maybe in a few years you'll be able to get a
>Golf/Jetta V

Oh I'm up the corporate ladder. Its the kid that is costing money. I
really cant spend money on myself getting a car I want when it could
go to him and his upbringing. That time will come later.

On the plus side, I'm looking forward to the extra milage with my 80
mile per day commute. Thats another point about the Golf I aint crazy
about. The diesel would be the way to go there but I am more of a
gasser.

Old December 13th 04, 03:34 AM
rat

Old December 13th 04, 05:06 AM
Matt B.

"rat" > wrote in message ...
> So far its ok for its price. I tried to find a cheap Golf GL but they
> hardly exist.

And even a no-options GL is a bit spendier than you want I'll bet.

With the Golf/Jetta V on the horizon, they'll probably slide a tad more
upmarket, making the need for VWoA to bring in a lower priced VW even more
necessary. There's a gap at the bottom of the VW range that's big enough to
drive a Polo through

>If this Daewoo lasts 4 years I'd be happy.

I've no experience with Daewoos but I know someone with a Kia Rio sedan that
uses it as a courier for his business. They run the wheels off that car and
it just about refuses to die. They did bust a timing belt at close to 90K
miles I think it was but they had already ignored the normal replacement
interval (60K I think) so it wasn't the car's fault. Kia replaced the
engine under warranty anyway! How's that for service? VW should be just
half that nice. Anyway, if Kias are anything to go by in terms of Korean
cars these days, Daewoos should be OK too.

Old December 13th 04, 05:06 AM
Matt B.

Old December 13th 04, 11:45 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Matt B. wrote:
> "rat" > wrote in message ...

>>And it only costs 10 grand.

The exact model is the Daewoo Kalos.

There is about $2000 in markup over what it sells in Korea for,
btw, even if you factor in the poor exchange rate right now.
(6,650,000 - 9,090,000(hatch) 7,780,000 - 9,200,000(sedan))
$6,263 - $8,561(ABS/etc) $7,327 - $8,665(top model made)

Note - a month ago, this was an even wider gap. I passed on
considering one just because of this - it is obvious that
they are making enough money in Korea to make a profit and
keep the dealers in business, as this is *MSRP* in Korea, yet
they gouge more for the same car shipped over to the U.S.(and
also shipping in addition - we pay for the cost to get it to
the U.S.)

In reality, the budget model is probably $6000 base price
after conversion, in Korea, and the top model is ~$8000.

You pay GM $2-4K for the Chevy badge.

Oh - this also should give you an idea of what the car
is worth in materials compared to even a Echo. If it
lasts 4-5 years without problems, I'd be amazed.

>>I just wish VW had a cheaper car.

> Me too.

I'd take a few year old Jetta V6 with low miles
over any of those econo-boxes. It really is one
of the few ~10K used cars out there that is a good deal.

Old December 13th 04, 11:45 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Old December 13th 04, 12:31 PM

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

> Matt B. wrote:
>
>> "rat" > wrote in message

>>> And it only costs 10 grand.

> The exact model is the Daewoo Kalos.

Does it look like _this_?

<http://www.autopress.be/Temporaires/SALON/Daewoo%20Kalos%204p.jpg>

Not bad looking.

TBerk
Old December 13th 04, 12:31 PM

Old December 13th 04, 06:58 PM
Joseph Oberlander

T wrote:
> Joseph Oberlander wrote:
>

>> Matt B. wrote:

>> The exact model is the Daewoo Kalos.

> Does it look like _this_?
>
> <http://www.autopress.be/Temporaires/SALON/Daewoo%20Kalos%204p.jpg>
>

> Not bad looking.

For $6,500, no. For $10K after GM has its way with acessories,
it's just not worth it.

Canadian Bush New Years Run trip report! Mike Romain Jeep 5 January 12th 05 10:18 PM
A Post! A New Years Post! jbjeep Jeep 24 January 6th 05 07:39 PM
Are japs controlling the Blue Ribbon Coalition? Sportsmen Against Bush 4x4 6 December 20th 03 03:58 AM
I'd like some opinions on which 35+ years US stationcars are good cars, if any. Basil Antique cars 5 September 10th 03 10:35 PM