Ion Air Conditioning

Old May 27th 04, 03:15 AM
teem

Default Ion Air Conditioning

I get the "feeling" that push button re-circulator switch is what really drains the milage,when it is activated,I can hear something starting up,someone said it's just to keep the cool air inside,but,I think it's a booster for the AC.
Old May 27th 04, 04:03 AM
Robert Hancock

Should make no difference (in fact it probably uses less gas because it's
cooling already cool air and not hot outside air). Nothing starts up when
you turn that on, it just makes more noise because it's pulling air from
inside the cabin.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old May 28th 04, 12:23 AM

I wouldn't say it uses more gas on my car. The re-circ button does seem to give the AC a little more power, but that is only because it is drawing air from inside the cabin. I use the re-circ button all the time in warm weather.

Old May 28th 04, 01:47 AM
teem

Was at Saturn today for oil change,& asked about the recirc switch,a tech said just to leave it off.it just seems when i use it,the gas milage is worse,i'm leaving it off on this fill up & see if theres a difference.

Old May 28th 04, 04:37 AM
Blah blah

In article >, gecko250@sasktelDOTnet
says...
> Let me know how you make out. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference, I don't always use my AC, I open the sunroof and sometimes just have it on vent. Not to mention I like to accelerate quite a bit.
>
> "teem" > wrote in message .. .
> Was at Saturn today for oil change,& asked about the recirc switch,a tech said just to leave it off.it just seems when i use it,the gas milage is worse,i'm leaving it off on this fill up & see if theres a difference.
> "J" <gecko250@sasktelDOTnet> wrote in message ...
> I wouldn't say it uses more gas on my car. The re-circ button does seem to give the AC a little more power, but that is only because it is drawing air from inside the cabin. I use the re-circ button all the time in warm weather.
>

> "teem" > wrote in message ...
> I get the "feeling" that push button re-circulator switch is what really drains the milage,when it is activated,I can hear something starting up,someone said it's just to keep the cool air inside,but,I think it's a booster for the AC.

Man this is the case of the blind leading the blind. Sorry if that
sounds harsh but let me simplify this for ya's.

-Re-circ OFF: Air is drawn in from the outside through the cowl (aka
firewall) across the evaporator.

-Re-circ ON: Air from the outside is shut out and now air from "inside"
the cabin is drawn across the evaporator.

Now then... How does changing the source of air flow through the air box
effect gas mileage????????

THIS is how you to make use of the re-circ button...

-WHEN the air outside is hotter than the air inside the cabin, TURN RE-
CIRC ON.

-WHEN the air inside the cabin is hotter than the outside, TURN RE-CIRC
OFF.

Cooler air is the most efficient way of getting the cabin COOLER
obviously. SOOOO then having the cabin cool down FASTER is the best
thing to do if you want to save gas mileage because that MEANS you can
turn your AC down and not have it WORK so hard.
Old May 29th 04, 01:37 AM
teem

O.K.! you're right!,maybe the fill up before this was a lousy gas,I shoot
for 390-400 miles a tank,with ac on (& re-circ) i can barely squeeze out
340.I'm referring to summer driviingwith minimal ac use.
"Blah blah" > wrote in message
> In article >, gecko250@sasktelDOTnet
> says...
> > Let me know how you make out. I don't think I'd be able to tell the

difference, I don't always use my AC, I open the sunroof and sometimes just
have it on vent. Not to mention I like to accelerate quite a bit.

.. .

Old May 29th 04, 02:44 AM

390miles per tank? I get about 425KM tank.. which is about 264miles, I
should lay off the gas pedal a little I think...

Old May 31st 04, 08:56 PM
Blah blah

Gas quality can do some weird things among many other factors. The
thing to do would be to have a scantool hooked up and see if there is a
difference in long term and short term fuel trim on the same tank of gas
with recirc on then off. The only effect I can see is the air
flow/pressure thats where the hood and windshield meet. Heck waxing a
car will improve gas mileage. I say 340-400 miles is to small a gap to
worry about. Cabin comfort has to override at some point.

In article >, sturg57
@sbcglobal.net says...