please help ! caint afford expensive repairs

Old January 24th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
vinnie

Default please help ! caint afford expensive repairs

I , have a 2002 intrepid the oil light blinks after awhile of
driving , it has 122,000 miles on it, when i stop it stays on then it
goes away when i drive, a friend suggest that i use 10-40 can you help?

Old January 24th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Scrapper[_32_]

has nothing to do with the oil your using..how long has it been sence
oil change?? i think your what we call idiot light problem...

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 24th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

"vinnie" > writes:

> I , have a 2002 intrepid the oil light blinks after awhile of
> driving , it has 122,000 miles on it, when i stop it stays on then it
> goes away when i drive, a friend suggest that i use 10-40 can you help?

I'm afraid you aren't going to like any of the answers you're going to
get. The car needs a new engine (or a rebuild, sorry) -- you're
looking at money. Thicker oil or a product like "Motor Honey" will
help you stave off the inevitable for a little while, but that's the
best you'll get....
Old January 24th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Have you changed the oil consistently? This is especially important if
you have the 2.7, (if they were still using it for 2002)

I could just be an oil sender switch.

-KM

Old January 24th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Larry Crites

What a Maroon. New engine? Maybe not. Have the oil pressure checked with a
mechanical gauge to see what your pressure "actually" is. If it checks O.K.,
you will need a new pressure switch. My '99 Intrepid, 2.7L had that problem.
I was advised to do what I just told you by the most knowledgeable here, Mr.
Putney, Mr. Beasley. My pressure checked O.K., new switch and problem gone.
I've got 110,000 on mine.

Larry
Behold Beware Believe

Old January 24th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

vinnie wrote:

> I , have a 2002 intrepid the oil light blinks after awhile of
> driving , it has 122,000 miles on it, when i stop it stays on then it
> goes away when i drive, a friend suggest that i use 10-40 can you help?

Oil pressure sending units are notorious for failing in this way, giving
a false oil warning light at low RPM. Have the oil pressure checked with
a reliable mechanical oil pressure gauge. If the mechanical gauge shows
low pressures, you have an internal engine problem.
Old January 24th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Larry Crites" > wrote in message
.. .
> What a Maroon. New engine? Maybe not. Have the oil pressure checked with a
> mechanical gauge to see what your pressure "actually" is. If it checks

O.K.,
> you will need a new pressure switch. My '99 Intrepid, 2.7L had that

problem.
> I was advised to do what I just told you by the most knowledgeable here,

Mr.
> Putney, Mr. Beasley. My pressure checked O.K., new switch and problem

gone.
> I've got 110,000 on mine.
>
> Larry
> Behold Beware Believe
>
> "Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
> > "vinnie" > writes:
> >
> >> I , have a 2002 intrepid the oil light blinks after awhile of
> >> driving , it has 122,000 miles on it, when i stop it stays on then it
> >> goes away when i drive, a friend suggest that i use 10-40 can you help?

> > I'm afraid you aren't going to like any of the answers you're going to
> > get. The car needs a new engine (or a rebuild, sorry) -- you're
> > looking at money. Thicker oil or a product like "Motor Honey" will
> > help you stave off the inevitable for a little while, but that's the
> > best you'll get....
> > --
> > Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
> > Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
> > New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer

Agreed to everything you said

Glenn

Old January 24th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

vinnie wrote:
> I , have a 2002 intrepid the oil light blinks after awhile of
> driving , it has 122,000 miles on it, when i stop it stays on then it
> goes away when i drive, a friend suggest that i use 10-40 can you help?

The right answer is that you need to replace the oil pressure switch.
This has been discussed numerous times on this newsgroup. Bottom line
is that the pressure switch is known to fail in the exact manner you
describe - basically an internal leak develops in the switch and that
upsets the calibration (the trip point at which it closes and turns the
light on). You might even find that the switch is externally leaking
oil a little - that can go hand in hand with the internal leak problem,
but won't necessarily be the case.

Replace the oil pressure switch (also mis-called the sender). Just to
make sure, you could temporarily install a real pressure gage to
convince yourself that the pressure is in fact good under all
conditions, but it is highly unlikely that low oil pressure is the real
problem on this vehicle.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 24th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Larry Crites wrote:

> ...New engine? Maybe not. Have the oil pressure checked with a
> mechanical gauge to see what your pressure "actually" is. If it checks O.K.,
> you will need a new pressure switch. My '99 Intrepid, 2.7L had that problem.
> I was advised to do what I just told you by the most knowledgeable here, Mr.
> Putney, Mr. Beasley. My pressure checked O.K., new switch and problem gone.
> I've got 110,000 on mine.

Finally! Someone is paying attention!

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 24th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Larry Crites wrote:
>
> > ...New engine? Maybe not. Have the oil pressure checked with a
> > mechanical gauge to see what your pressure "actually" is. If it checks

O.K.,
> > you will need a new pressure switch. My '99 Intrepid, 2.7L had that

problem.
> > I was advised to do what I just told you by the most knowledgeable here,

Mr.
> > Putney, Mr. Beasley. My pressure checked O.K., new switch and problem

gone.
> > I've got 110,000 on mine.

> Finally! Someone is paying attention!
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Bill I was paying attention.... can you give me a pat on my back?