engine removal in progress...

Old November 10th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default engine removal in progress...

hi,

should i pull the hood, (bonnet), off?
i munged, (i.e. squoozed it), up the heater core tube...any way to
straighten it out?

time to remove the ppf and steering column to remove the header.

thanks,
peter
Old November 10th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The heater core tubes are quite thin and fragile. If the damage was minor,
you may be able to reform it. If not, you may end up removing the heater
core to get at enough of the good tube to either splice (solder?) to or
attach hose to. Getting the core out is a fairly major production, usually
involving dash removal. If you are ablre to reform the tube without
splitting it, remember to use something like rubber gasket forming glop to
seal the hose to tube. The tubes are so thin that getting them back to a
shape that seals well against the rubber heater hose is difficult.

. ..

Old November 10th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Chuck wrote:
> The heater core tubes are quite thin and fragile. If the damage was minor,
> you may be able to reform it. If not, you may end up removing the heater
> core to get at enough of the good tube to either splice (solder?) to or
> attach hose to. Getting the core out is a fairly major production, usually
> involving dash removal. If you are ablre to reform the tube without
> splitting it, remember to use something like rubber gasket forming glop to
> seal the hose to tube. The tubes are so thin that getting them back to a
> shape that seals well against the rubber heater hose is difficult.

rats!
thanks,peter
Old November 10th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

peter wrote:
> hi,
>
> should i pull the hood, (bonnet), off?
> i munged, (i.e. squoozed it), up the heater core tube...any way to
> straighten it out?
>
> time to remove the ppf and steering column to remove the header.
>

> thanks,
> peter

errrr!!!!

i cant seem to get the bloody ppf off...the manual is unclear to me...it
seems to be "stick" on the diff. any hints?

also, i need to move the sterring out of the way to extract the
header...is it better to drop the rack or pull the column via the
steering wheel?

tia,
peter
Old November 11th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The PPF does not usually need to be removed completely from the diff. It can
be moved aside at the tranny end. One ppf/diff bolt will likely come out,
the other will loosen, and stay put.

news

Old November 14th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Peter, (ref. smashed heater tube)

Yes, you can use your "socket set" tools. Start small and just work
your way up to size. The tube is VERY soft, so don't get overly strong
with them. Putting a "very" short piece of heater hose over the end and
a clamp on it helps to keep it round too.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old November 14th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> Peter, (ref. smashed heater tube)
>
> Yes, you can use your "socket set" tools. Start small and just work
> your way up to size. The tube is VERY soft, so don't get overly strong
> with them. Putting a "very" short piece of heater hose over the end and
> a clamp on it helps to keep it round too.

this sounds like a winner...i'll report on progress later on.
peter