bug fire

Old January 1st 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default bug fire

Greetings again......it's been a long time since I've posted here,
but I had to share this:

Today I was working on my '71 super. Wanted to take the gas tank
out and check the connection of the rubber fuel line. Drained the
tank, disconnected all the upper hoses, took off the fuel gauge
connections, unbolted the hold downs, and started to lift the tank up
when WHOOMP it burst into flames from below the tank. I took some
flames to the face, lost half my beard but no further damage. Ran
across the shop and grabbed the power washer hose and started reeling
it towards the car. On the way back, i saw my boss trying to blow the
flames out......he'd lean forward and blow, the flames would flare up,
he'd lean back, then lean forward and blow again, He looked like one
of those toy drinking birds, that dips into the glass, and I told him
so later on.
I yelled for him to get clear, cuz i was about to use water on a
gas fire. This does work, if you KNOW there isn't much gas, and you
KNOW you have unlimited water. If the tank had been full I'd have used
a dry chemical extinguisher. One blast from the hose put the flames
out. Minimal damage, just some scorch marks is all the underhood area
took. The tank never did burn inside.

Now, how did this happen? I was not smoking at the time. Maybe
threw a spark from metal to metal contact while I lifted out the tank?
I had the ignition off, but the battery was still connected. No
pinched wires were found under the tank when I did lift it out.

Hey, helluva way to start the new year.

Old January 2nd 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

You already found the most possible source. A spark from metal to metal
friction. maybe you rubbed the tank against the edge.

What I do everytime i want to remove the tank, is to drain it, unplug
al hoses, remove the sender and leave it open while I go grab something
to eat and a coke. That won't extract all the fumes, but it gives it a
good time to ventilate.

BTW, marshmallows and bugs get along real good.

Karls

Old January 2nd 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Glad to hear you're ok and only burned part of the beard.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old January 2nd 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> I had the ignition off, but the battery was still connected.

Maybe that had nothing to do with the fire, but it is more than just a good
idea to always disconnect the battery. I am glad you are okay. (The bit
about your boss looking like a dunking bird was hilarious. Made my day.)

Old January 2nd 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

You should have disconnected the battery. There are a lot of wires with
power near the fuel tank even with the ignition off. I don't understand
how a PRO can do such mistake.

Joao

Old January 2nd 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> You should have disconnected the battery. There are a lot of wires with
> power near the fuel tank even with the ignition off. I don't understand
> how a PRO can do such mistake.
>
> Joao

and the armchair mechanics *always* know best....excuse me while i go roll
my eyes....

Old January 2nd 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> and the armchair mechanics *always* know best....excuse me while i go roll
> my eyes....

I'm waiting for the day Mister Armchair spills beer into his electric
lounger.

Old January 2nd 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Etoin Shurdlu wrote:

> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
>

>>and the armchair mechanics *always* know best....excuse me while i go roll
>>my eyes....

> I'm waiting for the day Mister Armchair spills beer into his electric
> lounger.

No worries, he keeps the armchair battery disconnected at all times to
keep himself safe. Little spilling is to be expected, so better be safe.

Jan
Old January 3rd 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"I don't understand how a PRO can do such mistake."

::::looking around::::::: who's a PRO? My main job is HVAC
installation and repair for a plumbing and heating shop. They're good
enough to let me work on my car in the building. I don't think I even
qualify as an 'arm chair mechanic" because I spend a minimum amount of
time in an arm chair. Can't spend much time in an arm chair and have a
9 percent body fat at 195 pounds. (I can also slam dunk a basketball,
and I'm 51 years old) but I digress.......
This is the third beetle I've restored, and I'm sure I still make
plenty of mistakes. Not a pro at all, but very versatile.
(specialization is for insects).
When I'm not working on a beetle, I make those "Peace Sign
Emblems" you can find in the Mid America Motorworks catalog. Also
build wood strip canoes, field knives and leather sheaths, hunting bows
and arrows, and I'm perfecting an invention that will double the power
of bicycle pedals without increasing effort, or pedal travel. So you
see, hardly a PRO at beetle restoration and repair.
I have also completed a college major in English at the University
of Wisconsin. If you like, I can use a red marker on your line "I
don't understand how a PRO can do such mistake.", and send it back to
you.

Old January 3rd 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> I don't think I even
> qualify as an 'arm chair mechanic" because I spend a minimum amount of
> time in an arm chair.

nope...not at all.... the armchair mechanics are the ones that spout off
from their armchair...this time it happened the spouting was aimed at
you....

it is good to see you posting again, it has been a long time.....you are one
of the "old timers" from when i came here nearly ten years ago...good to see
you are still around and still playing with the vw's...also good to see you
are still making your emblems.....(i don't even look at the Mid America
Motorworks catalog)

Bugninva\ Chris Perdue

Can oil & filters change cause enging fire? I.Pavlov Chrysler 31 August 6th 05 09:46 AM
Can oil & filters change cause enging fire? I.Pavlov Chrysler 7 August 4th 05 03:43 PM
Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
Fi What Went Wrong? Jonnie Santos Saturn 22 September 12th 04 07:38 AM