CVT Fluid Change

Old February 18th 10, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1

Default CVT Fluid Change

My 2007 Caliber has 60K now, and I was told that only a dealer could do
this, because of sucking out the fluid with a special machine and then
refilling with the same machine. My mechanic also said that if I am having
no transmission problems, just leave well enough alone. In the past, when I
had the pan dropped and the transmission fluid changed, I always had leaks,
etc. I should have left well enough alone. Should I just leave well enough
alone with the CVT if it is working perfectly?
Old February 18th 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

sctvguy1 wrote:
> My 2007 Caliber has 60K now, and I was told that only a dealer could do
> this, because of sucking out the fluid with a special machine and then
> refilling with the same machine. My mechanic also said that if I am having
> no transmission problems, just leave well enough alone. In the past, when I
> had the pan dropped and the transmission fluid changed, I always had leaks,
> etc. I should have left well enough alone. Should I just leave well enough
> alone with the CVT if it is working perfectly?

So what type of transmission is in it - related to the A604/42LE?

In general, no harm in replacing the fluid - you can do it yourself, but
if you're not inclined to do that sort of thing, yeah - most places use
a power flusher. Some of them back flush the filter so the pan does not
have to be dropped, and the filter stays in place - so that would
eliminate the concerns about breaking the seal on the pan.

If you had problems with leaks in the past at the pan seal, then that
sounds like incompetence. Chrysler probably sells a metal sandwich
gasket to use instead of RTV - they do for the trannies I am familiar
with. People have good success with that not leaking.

One thing to be absolutely sure of: Whoever does it, do not let them use
*anything* but the prescribed fluid for it. I assume it's ATF+4 unless
they've come out with something newer. Don't let them tell you that
some generic or other type of fluid with an additive is equivalent to
the Chrysler-prescribed fluid. A dealer probably will do it right, but
almost all of the independent and chain shops have been brainwashed into
believing that some fluid with an additive will be equivalent to the
right stuff. Fortunately they can't force you to do business with them.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old February 19th 10, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:21 -0500, sctvguy1 >
wrote:

>My 2007 Caliber has 60K now, and I was told that only a dealer could do
>this, because of sucking out the fluid with a special machine and then
>refilling with the same machine. My mechanic also said that if I am having
>no transmission problems, just leave well enough alone. In the past, when I
>had the pan dropped and the transmission fluid changed, I always had leaks,
>etc. I should have left well enough alone. Should I just leave well enough
>alone with the CVT if it is working perfectly?

Are you the original owner and does it have the lifetime power train
warranty? If so, you should follow the maintenance requirements in
the owners manual and have it done. Your mechanic may not have the
right equipment to do the fluid change but surely there are some
transmission shops that do besides teh dealer. What does the owners
manual actually say is needed? At 60K I would change the fluid even
if I had to pay the dealer if I planned on keeping the vehicle.
Old February 19th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

Bill Putney > writes:

> sctvguy1 wrote:
>> My 2007 Caliber has 60K now, and I was told that only a dealer could
>> do this, because of sucking out the fluid with a special machine and
>> then refilling with the same machine. My mechanic also said that if
>> I am having no transmission problems, just leave well enough alone.
>> In the past, when I had the pan dropped and the transmission fluid
>> changed, I always had leaks, etc. I should have left well enough
>> alone. Should I just leave well enough alone with the CVT if it is
>> working perfectly?

> So what type of transmission is in it - related to the A604/42LE?

Well, he said it's a CVT -- if somebody were to tell me there was a
single part in common, I'd be really surprised.

> In general, no harm in replacing the fluid - you can do it yourself,
> but if you're not inclined to do that sort of thing, yeah - most
> places use a power flusher. Some of them back flush the filter so the
> pan does not have to be dropped, and the filter stays in place - so
> that would eliminate the concerns about breaking the seal on the pan.

I find myself wondering just how weird the CVT might be -- no droppable
pan, maybe?

> If you had problems with leaks in the past at the pan seal, then that
> sounds like incompetence. Chrysler probably sells a metal sandwich
> gasket to use instead of RTV - they do for the trannies I am familiar
> with. People have good success with that not leaking.
>
> One thing to be absolutely sure of: Whoever does it, do not let them
> use *anything* but the prescribed fluid for it. I assume it's ATF+4
> unless they've come out with something newer. Don't let them tell you
> that some generic or other type of fluid with an additive is
> equivalent to the Chrysler-prescribed fluid. A dealer probably will
> do it right, but almost all of the independent and chain shops have
> been brainwashed into believing that some fluid with an additive will
> be equivalent to the right stuff. Fortunately they can't force you to
> do business with them.

Here I'll just answer with a hearty "amen".
Old February 19th 10, 10:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Bill Putney > writes:
>
>> sctvguy1 wrote:
>>> My 2007 Caliber has 60K now, and I was told that only a dealer could
>>> do this, because of sucking out the fluid with a special machine and
>>> then refilling with the same machine. My mechanic also said that if
>>> I am having no transmission problems, just leave well enough alone.
>>> In the past, when I had the pan dropped and the transmission fluid
>>> changed, I always had leaks, etc. I should have left well enough
>>> alone. Should I just leave well enough alone with the CVT if it is
>>> working perfectly?

>> So what type of transmission is in it - related to the A604/42LE?

> Well, he said it's a CVT -- if somebody were to tell me there was a
> single part in common, I'd be really surprised.

Oops - I wasn't paying attention.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old February 19th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

last caliber i looked at had a nasty noise in the tranny any time it was put
in gear and the factory recommendations to the dealer was swap it out. Poor
tech said they taught him how to fix it then they wont let him do it. R and
R, then send the old one in to be rebuilt. Unfortunately a lot of the
manufacturers are doing that now, especially the Europeans.

no dipstick in this trans if i recall and yeah a special machine to suck it
out and refill it sounds right. The dealer techs have a special dipstick
with graduation marks on it. there's no real pan on this tranny, just a 2
piece case that bolts together at the sides.
http://www.allpar.com/images/autosho.../cvt-front.jpg Fluid is real
expensive, worse than ATF+4. Some guys on line are claiming $35.00 a qt.

Just curious does the owners manual say to have it changed at this point?

Old February 19th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

well looks like there is a small pan on one end. but i am not sure it needs
to come off for fluid changes. i can assume the filter is in there.

g.com...

Old February 19th 10, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1

Ashton Crusher wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:21 -0500, sctvguy1 >
> wrote:
>
>>My 2007 Caliber has 60K now, and I was told that only a dealer could do
>>this, because of sucking out the fluid with a special machine and then
>>refilling with the same machine. My mechanic also said that if I am
>>having
>>no transmission problems, just leave well enough alone. In the past, when
>>I had the pan dropped and the transmission fluid changed, I always had
>>leaks,
>>etc. I should have left well enough alone. Should I just leave well
>>enough alone with the CVT if it is working perfectly?

> Are you the original owner and does it have the lifetime power train
> warranty? If so, you should follow the maintenance requirements in
> the owners manual and have it done. Your mechanic may not have the
> right equipment to do the fluid change but surely there are some
> transmission shops that do besides teh dealer. What does the owners
> manual actually say is needed? At 60K I would change the fluid even
> if I had to pay the dealer if I planned on keeping the vehicle.

Yes, I am the original owner with the lifetime warranty. I guess that I was
lucky to buy the 2007, because in 2010 they dropped that. We plan on
keeping this Caliber till the body rots away! I did that with an old Dodge
Dart, but the slant-six just wouldn't die!
Old February 19th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1

Rob wrote:

> last caliber i looked at had a nasty noise in the tranny any time it was
> put
> in gear and the factory recommendations to the dealer was swap it out.
> Poor tech said they taught him how to fix it then they wont let him do it.
> R and
> R, then send the old one in to be rebuilt. Unfortunately a lot of the
> manufacturers are doing that now, especially the Europeans.
>
> no dipstick in this trans if i recall and yeah a special machine to suck
> it out and refill it sounds right. The dealer techs have a special
> dipstick
> with graduation marks on it. there's no real pan on this tranny, just a 2
> piece case that bolts together at the sides.
> http://www.allpar.com/images/autosho.../cvt-front.jpg Fluid is real
> expensive, worse than ATF+4. Some guys on line are claiming $35.00 a qt.
>

> Just curious does the owners manual say to have it changed at this point?

Yes, that is what I found out: no dipstick! The owner's manual says to
change it out at around 60K, but with all the things on the 60K schedule, I
am having to do only a few things at a time. The radiator flush and refill,
even though the fluid looks very good, is $110. Thank God, this engine has
a timing chain, and not a belt!
Old February 19th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

sctvguy1 wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> last caliber i looked at had a nasty noise in the tranny any time it was
>> put
>> in gear and the factory recommendations to the dealer was swap it out.
>> Poor tech said they taught him how to fix it then they wont let him do it.
>> R and
>> R, then send the old one in to be rebuilt. Unfortunately a lot of the
>> manufacturers are doing that now, especially the Europeans.
>>
>> no dipstick in this trans if i recall and yeah a special machine to suck
>> it out and refill it sounds right. The dealer techs have a special
>> dipstick
>> with graduation marks on it. there's no real pan on this tranny, just a 2
>> piece case that bolts together at the sides.
>> http://www.allpar.com/images/autosho.../cvt-front.jpg Fluid is real
>> expensive, worse than ATF+4. Some guys on line are claiming $35.00 a qt.
>>

>> Just curious does the owners manual say to have it changed at this point?

> Yes, that is what I found out: no dipstick! The owner's manual says to
> change it out at around 60K, but with all the things on the 60K schedule, I
> am having to do only a few things at a time. The radiator flush and refill,
> even though the fluid looks very good, is $110. Thank God, this engine has
> a timing chain, and not a belt!

Which engine? Does the timing chain drive the water pump? If so, there
goes any advantage to having a timing chain.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

What Transmission and how to change fluid??? BMW 318 cbv8 BMW 4 July 29th 08 04:53 AM
VTM-4 Fluid Change Bruce Honda 4 May 14th 07 05:11 PM
Transmission Fluid Change?? Gerry Ford Mustang 11 March 12th 07 03:29 PM
Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
Fluid Change on XJ [email protected] Jeep 1 April 22nd 05 07:52 AM