How recalls really should be done

Old February 15th 10, 06:38 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Default How recalls really should be done

Clive wrote:
> In message >, PeterD
> > writes
>> Why is it that people don't understand that recalls are for safety
>> defects not product quality? I don't think we see many manifolds
>> causing accidents!

> A defective manifold could well be leaking poisonous fumes into your car
> that you can't smell, but will send you to sleep and into a tree to kill
> you if everyone else is lucky, or you just might smash into an oncoming
> vehicle killing both you and them, is that fair?

Intake manifolds don't "leak poisonous fumes."

Old February 15th 10, 07:21 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Canuck57[_5_]

On 15/02/2010 11:38 AM, Steve wrote:
> Clive wrote:
>> In message >, PeterD
>> > writes
>>> Why is it that people don't understand that recalls are for safety
>>> defects not product quality? I don't think we see many manifolds
>>> causing accidents!

>> A defective manifold could well be leaking poisonous fumes into your
>> car that you can't smell, but will send you to sleep and into a tree
>> to kill you if everyone else is lucky, or you just might smash into an
>> oncoming vehicle killing both you and them, is that fair?

> Intake manifolds don't "leak poisonous fumes."

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...53D31P20090414

No fumes, just fires.

Maybe even burn your home down:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...oe-probe_N.htm

Your point?
Old February 15th 10, 08:08 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Clive[_2_]

In message >, Canuck57
> writes
>> Intake manifolds don't "leak poisonous fumes."

>http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...53D31P20090414
>
>No fumes, just fires.

Having just read it, I notice there is no reference to stopping the oil
leak, just an attempt at fire prevention.
--
Clive

Old February 15th 10, 08:32 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Canuck57[_5_]

On 15/02/2010 1:08 PM, Clive wrote:
> In message >, Canuck57
> > writes
>>> Intake manifolds don't "leak poisonous fumes."

>> http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...53D31P20090414
>>
>> No fumes, just fires.

> Having just read it, I notice there is no reference to stopping the oil
> leak, just an attempt at fire prevention.

Good point.
Old February 16th 10, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Clive wrote:
> In message >, Canuck57
> > writes
>>> Intake manifolds don't "leak poisonous fumes."

>> http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...53D31P20090414
>>
>> No fumes, just fires.

> Having just read it, I notice there is no reference to stopping the oil
> leak, just an attempt at fire prevention.

All engines will eventually leak a small amount of oil. It just
shouldn't be channeled to a place where it can start a fire that could
spread.
Old February 16th 10, 11:01 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Clive[_2_]

In message >, Steve
> writes
>All engines will eventually leak a small amount of oil. It just
>shouldn't be channeled to a place where it can start a fire that could
>spread.

Perhaps you should tell my eight year old Nissan that, it obviously
hasn't heard, though it might start leaking tomorrow, I'll have to wait
and see.
--
Clive

Old February 17th 10, 03:04 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ed Pawlowski[_2_]

"Clive" > wrote in message
> In message >, Steve
> > writes
>>All engines will eventually leak a small amount of oil. It just shouldn't
>>be channeled to a place where it can start a fire that could spread.

> Perhaps you should tell my eight year old Nissan that, it obviously hasn't
> heard, though it might start leaking tomorrow, I'll have to wait and see.
> --
> Clive

He is right, but it can take a long time these days. My cars from the 50's
through 80's all had some drips but my '91 took over 10 years for any signs
of oil and it was a couple of drops a week, my '01 LeSabre, for all its
fault, does not leak a drop. Eventually, front and rear seals will wear or
a valve cover gasket will leak, but it may be years before I see it.

In the case of my '53 Mercury, if it was liquid, it leaked.

Old February 17th 10, 04:11 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Clive[_2_]

In message >, Ed Pawlowski
> writes
>In the case of my '53 Mercury, if it was liquid, it leaked.

Now that is what the old British designs did.
--
Clive

Old February 17th 10, 04:53 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Canuck57[_5_]

On 16/02/2010 3:29 PM, Steve wrote:
> Clive wrote:
>> In message >, Canuck57
>> > writes
>>>
>>> http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...53D31P20090414
>>>
>>> No fumes, just fires.

>> Having just read it, I notice there is no reference to stopping the
>> oil leak, just an attempt at fire prevention.

> All engines will eventually leak a small amount of oil. It just
> shouldn't be channeled to a place where it can start a fire that could
> spread.

My 13 1/2 year old Nissan Pathfinder didn't leak, had 200,000++ on the odo.

No real reason for them to leak other than a cheap design. Not
ergonomic and green either.
Old February 17th 10, 03:03 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1

Canuck57 wrote:

> On 16/02/2010 3:29 PM, Steve wrote:
>> Clive wrote:
>>> In message >, Canuck57

>>> Having just read it, I notice there is no reference to stopping the
>>> oil leak, just an attempt at fire prevention.

>> All engines will eventually leak a small amount of oil. It just
>> shouldn't be channeled to a place where it can start a fire that could
>> spread.

> My 13 1/2 year old Nissan Pathfinder didn't leak, had 200,000++ on the
> odo.
>
> No real reason for them to leak other than a cheap design. Not
> ergonomic and green either.

You must never have owned an old flathead engine with cork gaskets! Even
with new gaskets, I still get little "weeps" every once in a while. Plus,
having to clean the road tube, or some oil comes out of there also. I am
talking about a 1941 Windsor. My 48 Plymouth, 40 Royal also leaked a little
oil, but the old flatheads were dead-on reliable.

recalls [email protected] BMW 4 January 3rd 08 05:22 PM
recalls [email protected] Honda 0 January 1st 08 12:24 AM
recalls [email protected] Ford Explorer 0 January 1st 08 12:17 AM
Vue Recalls ??? Your name Saturn 4 December 18th 06 08:11 PM
recalls what to do? || BMW 3 December 21st 04 05:34 PM