Brake Pad Replacement - What to look for

Old June 8th 05, 01:52 PM
John Gregory

Default Brake Pad Replacement - What to look for

My 2000 Concorde LXi needs brake pads (front, I think). 57,000 miles on the
car. The rotor surfaces may need turned as well since I detect a slit (very
slight) vibration developing.

I don't need high performance stuff; retired, drive about 15,000 miles a
year, normal, mostly highway.

What should I be looking for in type and brand of brake shoe? Advisable to
turn all the rotors too?

Old June 8th 05, 02:05 PM
Bob Shuman

I use the Raybestos ceramic pads and have had pretty good results regarding
both stopping and reduced brake dust. You must be easy on your brakes or
else do a lot of highway driving as 57K miles is good longevity. I'd also
suggest checking the rears at the same time. They usually last about 2x as
long as the fronts, but it is worth the time to inspect them. Lastly, you
should bleed the system and use fresh (unopened) fluid if you have not done
so already.

Good luck with turning your rotors. I definitely recommend this if you are
putting on new pads. Where I live (the midwest US rust belt), a 5 year old
vehicle's rotors would be badly pitted and could not be turned so would need
replacement. Raybestos also makes quality US-made rotors, but they cost
about 3x what the Chinese white box generic imports would cost.

Bob

. ..

Old June 8th 05, 03:58 PM
John Gregory

I'm in the mid-west as well (northern Ohio), Bob. Is it not advisable to
turn the rotors but just replace them?

Old June 8th 05, 04:16 PM
Bob Shuman

It should be an easy decision once you get the wheels off and have a good
look. My rotors always pit on the rear sides so you can't see the damage
till you get the rotors off. If they look good and still have enough "meat"
on them, then you can certainly turn them as this will be less costly. But,
know that they may warp sooner since they will have less thickness/mass.

Bob

.. .