Drunken driver gets 2 1/2 years (Photos)

Old January 21st 05, 05:10 PM
gpsman

Default Drunken driver gets 2 1/2 years (Photos)

BROCKTON - A Wayland man pleaded guilty yesterday to drunken driving
and was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison for his role in a highway
crash that seriously injured a state trooper.

Before being led away to the Plymouth County House of Correction,
William Senne, 20, apologized to Trooper Ellen Engelhardt, who suffered
a severe head injury in the July 2003 crash and remains in a Middleboro
rehabilitation hospital.

Engelhardt's fellow state troopers filled the courtroom for the
sentencing hearing. Her boyfriend, Sgt. Richard Teves, shown with her
above, accompanied her to the judge's bench to offer a victim impact
statement.

A 22-year veteran of the state police who was assigned to the South
Yarmouth barracks for many years, Engelhardt was familiar to Cape
Codders who drove to work along Willow Street in Yarmouth. She
frequently worked the traffic assignment at the foot of Exit 7 on the
Mid-Cape Highway.

Fellow troopers considered her a role model for younger troopers
because of her easygoing and helpful manner.

Prosecutors had called for a much longer sentence for Senne, who was
speeding when his Volvo slammed into the back of Engelhardt's cruiser
in the breakdown lane of Route 25 in Wareham.

It was the second time Engelhardt had been involved in a crash. The
first time was in October 2002 when a car smashed into the back of her
cruiser, pushing it into a car she had stopped for speeding. Engelhardt
was hospitalized then with head, neck and thigh injuries and was out of
work for seven months.

Witnesses told state police that Senne was driving 90 mph when he hit
Engelhardt's cruiser. The 22-year state police veteran had pulled over
to examine guardrail damage.

Prosecutors said that Engelhardt's cognitive abilities are unknown, but
that she cannot speak.

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes...endriver21.htm
-----

- gpsman

Old January 21st 05, 06:15 PM
Paul

"gpsman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> BROCKTON - A Wayland man pleaded guilty yesterday to drunken driving
> and was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison for his role in a highway
> crash that seriously injured a state trooper.
>
> Before being led away to the Plymouth County House of Correction,
> William Senne, 20, apologized to Trooper Ellen Engelhardt, who

suffered
> a severe head injury in the July 2003 crash and remains in a

Middleboro
> rehabilitation hospital.

<snip>

> http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes...endriver21.htm

It is articles like this one that convince me that there is no frickin'
justice in this world. This snot nosed little punk gets loaded, gets
behind the wheel and the person he hits in his accident is the one who
suffers for it. And I don't want to hear your "send him to prison for
life," bit, LBMHB, the fact that he took out a cop will make him a hero
in the joint. Give him sonething that will remind him of what he did for
the rest of his life in a *very* negative way. Sterilize the little
*******!

Old January 21st 05, 06:19 PM
TCS

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:15:14 -0500, Paul <> wrote:
>> http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes...endriver21.htm

>It is articles like this one that convince me that there is no frickin'
>justice in this world. This snot nosed little punk gets loaded, gets
>behind the wheel and the person he hits in his accident is the one who
>suffers for it. And I don't want to hear your "send him to prison for
>life," bit, LBMHB, the fact that he took out a cop will make him a hero
>in the joint. Give him sonething that will remind him of what he did for
>the rest of his life in a *very* negative way. Sterilize the little
>*******!

What worse is non dui reckless driving. Some housewife is adjusting
her makeup, kills somebody and gets let off scott free. Some oldfart
rams his way through a crowd of people and kills a dozen and never
charged.

Frankly I think all the dui laws should be dropped, and reckless
driving laws should be beefed up. I really don't care if the reason
for the reckless driving was intoxication, sleepiness, stupdity, or
a love of running over pedestrians.

200 car pileup? Give every ****ing participant a reckless
driving ticket and any who've received two should do time.

Old January 21st 05, 07:55 PM
Sam O'Nella

> Frankly I think all the dui laws should be dropped, and reckless
> driving laws should be beefed up. I really don't care if the reason
> for the reckless driving was intoxication, sleepiness, stupdity, or
> a love of running over pedestrians.

You make a LOT of sense. Sentence on the outcome, not the "reason".

Old January 22nd 05, 04:25 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Paul" <Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend is a > wrote in
message .. .

> "gpsman" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > BROCKTON - A Wayland man pleaded guilty yesterday to drunken driving
> > and was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison for his role in a highway
> > crash that seriously injured a state trooper.
> >
> > Before being led away to the Plymouth County House of Correction,
> > William Senne, 20, apologized to Trooper Ellen Engelhardt, who

> suffered
> > a severe head injury in the July 2003 crash and remains in a

> Middleboro
> > rehabilitation hospital.

> <snip>

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes...endriver21.htm

> It is articles like this one that convince me that there is no frickin'
> justice in this world. This snot nosed little punk gets loaded, gets
> behind the wheel and the person he hits in his accident is the one who
> suffers for it. And I don't want to hear your "send him to prison for
> life," bit, LBMHB, the fact that he took out a cop will make him a hero
> in the joint. Give him sonething that will remind him of what he did for
> the rest of his life in a *very* negative way. Sterilize the little
> *******!

That's not really a negative thing necessarily. Only if he was hoping to
have kids some day. Personally after I have kids I wouldn't mind getting
snipped... It's nice to not have to use hormonal options. There's actually a
way that's sorta like 'corking' the tubes. It supposedly has a veryu high
majority of success rate in undoing it so if one changes ones mind one can
have kids again.

Anyhow, punishment is immature and wrong. Measures should be taken to keep
the rest of us safe from these people. Revoke their license for life they
get into an accident while DUI. If they violate that and don't have a damned
good reason then kill them. That'll keep the rest of us safe. There should
be no tolerance for screwups like that which are very obviously reckless and
dangerous and very easy to avoid.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:11 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Speeding and DUI and he cripples a person for life and only gets 2 1/2
years!!!!! Goddam forking criminal coddlers.!! This psychopath should
have been executed.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:15 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

>.H. Jan 21, 12:12 pm
>And I bet that drunk guy thought he was okay to drive...

They all say that - hey man, i drive better when i'm drunk.

Old January 23rd 05, 05:48 AM
magnulus

2 1/2 years isn't enough. I hope they also made it so he'd never drive a
motor vehicle again. IMO, they are far too lenient with drunk drivers in
many states. You should get an extra chance, after that, they should pull
your license permanently.

Why is it so hard for some people to get the message? Don't drink and
drive. Would people mind if their heart surgeon showed up to work sloshed,
or their dentist was hammered?

Old January 23rd 05, 02:55 PM
Larry Bud

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Speeding and DUI and he cripples a person for life and only gets 2

1/2
> years!!!!! Goddam forking criminal coddlers.!! This psychopath

should
> have been executed.

I thought you pinko-commies didn't believe in capital punishment?