gas over $4 is here! is $5 gas far behind ?

Old May 17th 07, 06:56 AM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default gas over $4 is here! is $5 gas far behind ?

You haven't a ****ing clue about autos, you just wnat to control.

>>>Not so much. Fleet averages are lower than they were thirty years ago.

>> Fleet averages are based on sales. It takes a lot of Foci (or would it
>> be focuses?) to offset 800,000+ F series trucks and countless SUVs. If
>> CAFE didn't come along, the large passenger car and station wagon would
>> have never given way to the passenger truck (SUV). Fleet averages would
>> be much better.

> The problem was leaving an out for SUVs and light trucks.

The control freak always thinks the problem wasn't enough control.

> Nah. There went a fact... No, over there... Wait, there it... Oops.

Not my fault you're clueless.

>>>Those things are manipulable in the service of the greater good. It's
>>>amazing how the religious right, which talks about absolute good, got
>>>mixed up with you-lot who just talk about private desires.

>> Here you go again, throwing baseless personal insults that are 100%
>> wrong.

> I'm sorry you're insulted by your own philosophy.

Where is your proof that I am part of the 'religious right'? You're
going to have a hard time finding it. Stop being a lying jackass.

> Maybe if you had facts you could make a real argument.

You're the one lacking the facts. CAFE attempted to control choice and
by doing so caused things to get worse instead of better. That's obvious
to anyone who isn't a control freak.

Old May 17th 07, 07:13 AM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Jeffrey Turner

Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' ) wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' ) wrote:

>>>I mean unauthorized by the government, the patient wants them. They are
>>>exactly like abortion, actually, except there is no unborn human to make
>>>a decision about.

>>You mean "medical" procedures that have not been shown to be effective,
>>like Laetrile (though that was a "medicine" and not a procedure). Those
>>come under fraud. If not, you need to be clearer.

> It's fraud if you lie about the efficacy. If you believe, how is it
> fraud?

If I lie to you and you believe me then it's fraud.

> What if the ill person wants Laetrile? You claim to be
> "pro-choice" but you won't let someone make a choice that is clearly
> only regarding themselves. Meanwhile you want to let them choose when it
> doesn't just involve them, abortion.

Laetrile was an expensive fraud. The family, and not just the terminal
person were the victims.

>>>The issue here though isn't whether or not any abortions should be
>>>allowed but whether or not abortion should be a right until birth.

>>Right now, it's not.

> But your argument is that a woman should be able to choose if she wants
> an abortion up til birth.

As a practical matter, sometime before birth is the limit.

>>>Why? If a man doesn't want to be stuck paying children support for 18+
>>>years, you are going to say that he shouldn't have had sex or that he
>>>should've used protection even though almost all the birth control is
>>>under the control of the woman.

>>So you don't have a problem with abortion, you just want to be able to
>>avoid child support?

> Why do so many people come back with that whenever I bring this valid
> issue up? Why does the woman get "choice" but the man doesn't? Answer
> the question.

Someone has to have the final decision. Since it's the woman's
pregnancy she gets to decide.

>>>Why? That defines human life by location which is utterly idiotic. It
>>>also ignores "viability".

>>Right now, the law is heavily dependent on viability.

> But you don't want it to be. You think that "partial birth" is something
> that should be protected as a right as if it's written in the bloody
> constitution.

The D & X is sometimes the best choice from a medical perspective.
That's between a woman and her doctor.

>>>The fairest way is to force companies to do what you want with laws? Do
>>>you realize what you are saying? The planned economic model fails. It's
>>>not good. Let the market be unleashed!

>>The market is a failure in dealing with pollution.

> Maybe that's not true and you've just set things up in a way that market
> features are used to facilitate effective pollution controls. Think
> about that.

Where has the market solved a pollution problem?

>>>This is amazing: 1) No consequences for anyone important if there's an
>>>abortion. 2) End of the world for us all if someone drives around in an
>>>SUV.

>>>I know it hasn't been implemented in a serious way.

>>So I'm skeptical of it happening.

> But you are gung ho for CAFE standards even though they haven't been
> ramped up, tried seriously, either?

They worked pretty well. Light trucks and vans should have been
included.

>>>Who would they blame? I think they'd blame the West for cutting off its
>>>oil sop.

>>Who would the Saudis blame if the world stopped buying oil? How many
>>angels can dance on the head of a pin?

> They'd blame the West, probably America. I don't know about the
> angels/pin thing. I could hazzard something on the Angels and the
> Pennant, however.

I don't think the Saudi people would turn violent if the market for oil
turned sour. Not that we're likely to find out any time soon.

>>>Don't you know that there's wealth inequality between the average dude
>>>on the street in the Middle East and the average person in the United
>>>States?

>>No kidding. But there's the same or bigger difference between the
>>person in the street in sub-Saharan Africa and the U.S.

> Right, and they aren't as susceptible as the Arabs to the likes of bin
> Laden.

There have been more wars going on in Africa. When the U.S. gets more
deeply involved in the Nigeria/Angola/Equatorial Guinea area there will
be repercussions there for the U.S.

>>>Where does the energy come from? You need to support nuclear power if
>>>you are serious about reducing oil imports. And an EV won't do
>>>everything you need, not until/unless we build those EV car trains I've
>>>been going on about. THAT would change the mix a bit, sure, but right
>>>now you need your usual car and you need your EV.

>>We need wind, solar, tidal and lots and lots of conservation and
>>efficiency. I'm not sure nuclear is necessary, and it's a short-term
>>"fix" even if it is.

> Nuclear is a long term solution because it brings in real power that can
> be counted on. Conservation is not an answer at all. At best it can be
> used to mitigate in the short term, but better not use it now and not
> have it later when you didn't build up the nukes in time. I warned you.

Nuclear fuel won't last forever.

>>>Not really. You know how many cars there are out there? You know many
>>>cars that work more or less fine get crushed each day?

>>I think there are nearly as many cars as Americans. Maybe more. The
>>number of cars in decent running condition that are destroyed yearly has
>>to be a small, small fraction.

> What is "decent"?

Those that don't need frequent infusions of oil, or the like.

>>What does that have to do with the cost
>>of insurance, and the lack of marginal insurance for a second or
>>subsequent car?

> You claimed that the cost of the second car was prohibitive. It
> certainly isn't.

How many good cars are being destroyed?

>>>You could go by an older Civic or something like that and get high
>>>mileage for pretty cheap. You don't have to drive around in a 12 mpg
>>>SUV.

>>Yes. Personally, I don't need one. But there aren't that many that
>>everyone who would do better to have one could even if they had the
>>cash to buy one.

> A Civic or an SUV?

Me? An old Buick, it doesn't do too bad - and I don't drive a lot.

>>>I know that, that's the point.

>>But if the auto makers were required to put out high mileage fleets,
>>we'd have cars (almost) as good as Europe.

> They put out cars that people want. People like SUVs for some reason.

They _sell_ SUVs hard. But no one has to pay the real costs.

--Jeff

--
We know now that Government by
organized money is just as dangerous
Old May 17th 07, 07:52 AM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Jeffrey Turner

Rudy Canoza wrote:

> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>
>> Rudy Canoza wrote:

>>> You're still begging the question. You seem to revel in committing
>>> logical fallacies.

>> My ears could be cut off, if such was legal. I couldn't be aborted.
>> I'm not sure what your point is.

> My point is, you're begging the question. What's it to you or anyone
> else if some woman living far away from you with no connection to you
> cuts off her kid's ear? WHY is it illegal, sophomoric asswipe?

Because everyone in society is protected by the law against cutting
someone's ears off.

>>> Has nothing to do with it, of course.

>> So, what IS your point?

>>> The ****ing isn't. How she handles the possible consequence of
>>> pregnancy is.

>> Why?

> Because if the handling is to abort a human life, sophomoric asswipe,
> then it begins to resemble cutting off a kid's ear. It begins to be
> *not* just about her.

A fetus isn't a person. Is there any chance you'll be aborted? No,
it's entirely a vain hope on my part.

>>> No, dummy. I've already told you how to handle those. Of course,
>>> the optimal amount of any of those forms of pollution is, of course,
>>> not zero, but you, being an irrational fanatic, will try to argue
>>> that it is.

>> Since we're not even in the ballpark of zero, that's not really an
>> option right now anyway.

> Nor should it be.

I see you still have trouble dealing with reality.

>> You haven't explained whose property rights
>> are violated and how they can enforce them in the real world.

> The Commonwealth of Massachusetts just did a pretty good job of
> explaining it to the Supreme Court. Read their filings.

The State is enforcing private property rights? Isn't that heretical or
something?

>>> "Remission"? Anyway, your unsupported assertion, if true, merely
>>> means the scheme to internalize what are now externalities isn't
>>> strict enough. It doesn't invalidate the principle. The principle
>>> is sound.

>> No, it's not.

> Yes, it is. You just don't like it, because you like government by fiat.
>
>> There would be interminable debates and law suits over
>> what the proper cost is.

> False. Well-functioning pollution credit schemes are working right now
> without any such debate or "law suits" [sic].

Cap and trade may work for smokestacks, it is another thing entirely to
apply to automobiles.

>>> Yes, and many of them work extremely well. That just infuriates you,
>>> doesn't it? You prefer the command economy of totalitarianism.

>> Since you've shown no evidence,

> There are pollution credit trading schemes all over the US and Europe.
> You know this, too; you just like playing dumb, one of your notable
> talents.

>>> UCLA.

>>> But you are wrong - it deals very well with it. Pollution credits
>>> trade on active markets. They work. And that just kills you,
>>> arrogant Clintonista that you are.

>> Where does it work?

> The US and Europe, sophomore. The Southern California Air Quality
> Management Board operates one called REgional CLean Air Incentives
> Market, or RECLAIM. It works. That just kills you, doesn't it, sophomore?

It works because it's all on factories. It won't work for cars.

> The trend is away from simple ban orders, and toward market solutions,
> and that just kills you. It's hilarious.

Your pollution kills more than your humor.

>> <*crickets*>

> You really are insubstantial.

You haven't any idea how to reduce automobile pollution.

--Jeff

Old May 17th 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Rudy Canoza[_1_]

Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>>> My ears could be cut off, if such was legal. I couldn't be aborted.
>>> I'm not sure what your point is.

>> My point is, you're begging the question. What's it to you or anyone
>> else if some woman living far away from you with no connection to you
>> cuts off her kid's ear? WHY is it illegal, sophomoric asswipe?

> Because everyone in society is protected by the law against cutting
> someone's ears off.

Still begging the question, jeffy. Fetuses would be
protected by laws outlawing abortion, too.

>>> So, what IS your point?

>>> Why?

>> Because if the handling is to abort a human life, sophomoric asswipe,
>> then it begins to resemble cutting off a kid's ear. It begins to be
>> *not* just about her.

> A fetus isn't a person.

Only by an arbitrary legal claim. It is a human being;
it isn't a rock or cell phone. Society can take an
interest in protecting it for exactly the same reason
it takes an interest in protecting children, or even in
protecting grotesque mutants like you.

> Is there any chance you'll be aborted?

You mean killed or in some way harmed? Yes, there is.

>>> Since we're not even in the ballpark of zero, that's not really an
>>> option right now anyway.

>> Nor should it be.

> I see you still

No. You don't see.

>>> You haven't explained whose property rights
>>> are violated and how they can enforce them in the real world.

>> The Commonwealth of Massachusetts just did a pretty good job of
>> explaining it to the Supreme Court. Read their filings.

> The State is enforcing private property rights? Isn't that heretical or
> something?

No. It's the state's primary function, in fact.

>>> No, it's not.

>> Yes, it is. You just don't like it, because you like government by fiat.
>>
>>> There would be interminable debates and law suits over
>>> what the proper cost is.

>> False. Well-functioning pollution credit schemes are working right
>> now without any such debate or "law suits" [sic].

> Cap and trade may work for smokestacks, it is another thing entirely to
> apply to automobiles.

Then you estimate the external social cost from driving
an additional mile, and you put a tax on the variable
input of fuel to try to make the driver internalize it.
Of course, government needs to have the discipline to
spend the money on those who are actually harmed by the
driving of an additional mile, rather than their usual
bleeding-heart giveaway to "deserving" HAMs, and with
petty tyrants like you in the way, that's probably not
going to happen.

The fact remains, jeffy, that the costs can be
internalized, without simply banning vehicles or
driving, and that just kills you. You're a wannabe
tyrant, jeffy, and giving orders is what you want to do.

>>> Since you've shown no evidence,

>> There are pollution credit trading schemes all over the US and
>> Europe. You know this, too; you just like playing dumb, one of your
>> notable talents.

>>> Where does it work?

>> The US and Europe, sophomore. The Southern California Air Quality
>> Management Board operates one called REgional CLean Air Incentives
>> Market, or RECLAIM. It works. That just kills you, doesn't it,
>> sophomore?

> It works because it's all on factories. It won't work for cars.

Tax the variable input, but just enough to offset the
actual environmental harm caused; not enough to allow
petty tyrants like you to pick winners and losers in life.

>> The trend is away from simple ban orders, and toward market solutions,
>> and that just kills you. It's hilarious.

> Your pollution kills more than your humor.

The fact remains, jeffy, that the trend is toward
market solutions, and away from the dictatorial bans
that are precious to you. Your misery is others'
liberty and freedom to choose, and it's good.

>>> <*crickets*>

>> You really are insubstantial.

> You haven't any idea how to reduce automobile pollution.

Of course I do, jeffy.
Old May 17th 07, 05:12 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Rudy Canoza[_1_]

Default The Vision of the Anointed ( gas over $4 is here! is $5 gasfar behind ?)

The real issue here is that jeffy turner, who denies
being a Clintonista, in fact shares the exact same view
that Hillary has, of being possessed of superior vision
of What Is Good For Us. Thomas Sowell famously
described this view in his book The Vision of the
Anointed: Self-Congratulation As a Basis for Social
Policy. Hillary infamously expressed the view in her
address to the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco in
2004: "We're going to take things away from you on
behalf of the common good." If Hillary wins the
democrap nomination, we'll be seeing a lot of that
quote, but you sure as hell won't be hearing much of it
from her rivals for the democrap nomination, because
they hold the same belief of themselves as The Anointed.

jeffy turner falsely believes that he and people who
think as he does do in fact have some special vision of
What Is Good For Us, and that this vision entitles him
and his claque to dictate to the rest of us. The
history of the US is generally to reject that kind of
claim, and that just kills jeffy.
Old May 17th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Rudy Canoza[_1_]

More of Hillary's arrogant view of herself as being
possessed of special vision: "We are at a stage in
history in which remolding society is one of the great
challenges facing all of us in the West...we lack
meaning in our individual lives and meaning
collectively; we lack a sense that our lives are part
of some greater effort, that we are connected to one
another."

jeffy turner the Clintonista shares in this arrogance.
Old May 17th 07, 05:28 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Jeffrey Turner

Rudy Canoza wrote:

> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>
>> Rudy Canoza wrote:

>>> It destroys employment, period. It keeps people who might earn some
>>> income from earning any income at all.

>> Of course you've got figures to back that up? I didn't think so.
>>
>> Let's see, the minimum wage went from $1.00 to $1.15 on September 3,
>> 1961. Unemployment rate,

> Bad try, sophomore. You can't look at the overall unemployment rate,
> sophomore - you have to look at the unemployment rate among people
> subject to the minimum wage. The unemployment rate among people subject
> to teh minimum wage goes up.
> http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg18n1c.html

That stuff may baffle the rubes, but I'm wise. Funny how the boss's
son-in-law never gets paid only what his work is worth. But to say that
the minimum wage increases unemployment is short-sighted at best. As
more money enters the local economy, there's more demand and more jobs
will be created.

As for their ONE set of data, for 1990/91, there was an overall economic
downturn during which unemployment rose from 5.4% in April, 1990 to 6.7%
in April, 1991 and eventually 7.7% in July, 1992. Not that that was
caused by the raising of the minimum wage. Unemployment had been in the
5.2 to 5.4% range since April, 1989 - and except for one month at 5.0
and two at 5.6%, since April, 1988.

>>> No, it puts downward pressure on wages of those who are working at or
>>> only slightly above the minimum by increasing the number of people
>>> out of work.

>> You really should study reality,

> I have. You should study some economics, *and* reality. You should
> stop trying to float irrelevant figures.

Irrelevant? Like cherry-picking data from the middle of a general
economic downturn?

>>> You really ought to study some labor economics before running your
>>> ignorant yap.

>> I don't feel like studying your religion. Reality is different.

> Thanks for admitting you prefer ignorance.

Ignorance of ignorance is no vice.

>>> You really are incoherent. Right to work - there is no such thing as
>>> "exploitation", in the emotionally laden sense you mean - doesn't get
>>> rid of labor unions.

>> A little more [snip foam]

> Evasion noted.

So where are your numbers comparing union membership in "right to
exploitation" and non-"rte" states?

>>> Low-wage/low-skill labor is a substitute for higher-wage/higher-skill
>>> unionized labor. Relative prices are what matter, as anyone who has
>>> studied economics - not you - knows. By raising the price of
>>> low-wage/unskilled labor relative to unionized labor, it makes the
>>> unionized labor look more attractive. If a business can hire one
>>> $22/hour union thug, or four $5/hour non-unionized high school
>>> dropouts who are as productive as the union thug, the employer will
>>> hire the four dropouts and save $2.00 per hour. But if the minimum
>>> wage laws require him to pay $7.50 for the dropouts when their labor
>>> only is worth $5.00, he'll fire all four of the dropouts and hire the
>>> union thug.

>> Amazing. And if he could hire 8-year-olds?

> Continued evasion noted.

100 jobs paying $22 an hour will create demand that will drive all sorts
of economic development. 400 jobs paying $5 an hour won't do much.
Maybe if you had gotten an education instead of an indoctrination you'd
know that. A course in economic history wouldn't hurt. Start with a
study of the laissez faire 1920s.

--Jeff

Old May 17th 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Jeffrey Turner

Rudy Canoza wrote:

> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>
>> Rudy Canoza wrote:

>>> The explanation is organized labor.

>> Well, organized labor explains wide American prosperity

> No.

Well, at least you're terse in your ignorance.

--Jeff

Old May 17th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Jeffrey Turner

Brent P wrote:

>>>The same as it was years ago when I first explained the rise of SUVs
>>>after the great die off of large passenger cars in the 1980s.

>>You mean I've gone years avoiding your ignorant nonsense until now?

> You haven't a ****ing clue about autos, you just wnat to control.

Speaking of control, how are the oil wars going?

>>>Fleet averages are based on sales. It takes a lot of Foci (or would it
>>>be focuses?) to offset 800,000+ F series trucks and countless SUVs. If
>>>CAFE didn't come along, the large passenger car and station wagon would
>>>have never given way to the passenger truck (SUV). Fleet averages would
>>>be much better.

>>The problem was leaving an out for SUVs and light trucks.

> The control freak always thinks the problem wasn't enough control.

Still got those bladder problems, eh?

>>Nah. There went a fact... No, over there... Wait, there it... Oops.

> Not my fault you're clueless.

If you only had a fact.

>>>Here you go again, throwing baseless personal insults that are 100%
>>>wrong.

>>I'm sorry you're insulted by your own philosophy.

> Where is your proof that I am part of the 'religious right'? You're
> going to have a hard time finding it. Stop being a lying jackass.

Ah, reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. I was just commenting
on how you're in an odd couple political alliance with them.

>>Maybe if you had facts you could make a real argument.

> You're the one lacking the facts. CAFE attempted to control choice and
> by doing so caused things to get worse instead of better. That's obvious
> to anyone who isn't a control freak.

Oedipal issues, eh? I guess we shouldn't have any laws because they are
just an attempt to control people.

--Jeff

Old May 17th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

>>>You mean I've gone years avoiding your ignorant nonsense until now?

>> You haven't a ****ing clue about autos, you just wnat to control.

> Speaking of control, how are the oil wars going?

Damn you're a clueless asshat. I am against the oil wars. But for the oil
companies that are who the US military actually serves, they seem to be
going well.

>>>The problem was leaving an out for SUVs and light trucks.

>> The control freak always thinks the problem wasn't enough control.

> Still got those bladder problems, eh?

See, no facts, just insult.

>>>Nah. There went a fact... No, over there... Wait, there it... Oops.

>> Not my fault you're clueless.

> If you only had a fact.

Fact: CAFE just about exterminated the large passenger car in the 1980s.
People responded by buying 'work' vehicles like the Bronco and Blazer as
well as pickup trucks. The big three took notice. Anyone who was paying
attention in the late 80s saw the shift.

Tightening your fist and eliminating even more choices from the market
would only send people to the next bigger vehicle class. After you've
banned everything they start refitting the old ones from junkyards. Your
control freakism can't work and will never work.

>>>I'm sorry you're insulted by your own philosophy.

>> Where is your proof that I am part of the 'religious right'? You're
>> going to have a hard time finding it. Stop being a lying jackass.

> Ah, reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. I was just commenting
> on how you're in an odd couple political alliance with them.

I'm not, moron.

>>>Maybe if you had facts you could make a real argument.

>> You're the one lacking the facts. CAFE attempted to control choice and
>> by doing so caused things to get worse instead of better. That's obvious
>> to anyone who isn't a control freak.

> Oedipal issues, eh? I guess we shouldn't have any laws because they are
> just an attempt to control people.

Strawman.

Grow a clue.