I Need to Get on the FasTrak

Old April 11th 06, 12:14 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Default I Need to Get on the FasTrak

'Sup Dave,

I live up in the Bay Area. I signed up for FasTrak about a year ago,
and it has made for an easier driving experience, when using the toll
bridges up here. It really does save time at the Bay Bridge toll
plaza, where you can shave about 5 to 7 minutes off the 30 minute - 1
hour backup.

Also, I don't have to worry about fumbling for change/pulling out my
wallet to grab $3 at the last minute (because I forgot to, before I hit
the freeway), or making the mistake of not carrying $3 in my
wallet...ouch, I better go back to the nearest ATM. Time is money.

The other major reason I signed up for FasTrak was for the reason you
stated; I use the 91 express lanes maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I'm more
than happy to pay the $7.75 to bypass the 1 to 2 hours of congestion.
I also use the other toll freeways in Orange County (especially the 73
freeway; even when I-5 is moving along at the speed limit, because I
think it's only $2.50 during non peak hours, anyway), and whenever I'm
driving along the I-15 Express Lanes in San Diego, I pay the toll and
cruise at 70 MPH, without having to worry about a bunch of assholes
tailgating me. In fact, I'm driving down to So Cal again on Wednesday,
and I'll probably be using the 73 on Friday morning to connect with the
133, on the way to Laguna Beach (from Los Angeles).

Don't get me wrong; I'd rather not pay the tolls. And I'm certainly
not the wealthiest person around. But, personally, I don't mind
spending the extra $12 (average) per week, while I'm down in Orange
County, if it results in easier commuting, when and where it's
available. As I already stated; no cost to drive the I-5 (and I-405)
at 70 MPH with thousands of vehicles surrounding you, or $2.50 to drive
a virtually empty 73 freeway, where you can relax and actually take in
the scenery. I'll gladly pay the $2.50 (or whatever it costs). :-)

-Brent