GM missed a recall of my 2000 C5.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 23rd 14, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5[_2_]

Default GM missed a recall of my 2000 C5.

It has a slot for the key ring instead of a single hole. As I was driving along, I gave the key chain a a light tug and the ignition switched off. Whie the press says you lose steering and brakes, you actually lose power assist and air bags, but I can't verify that. Being an experienced driver, I pushed in the clutch and restarted the engine. Should I write a letter to GM about this problem?

I decided to check out the 2009 Malibu, not a part of the recall. Even a hard tug on the keychain would not turn the ignition switch off. I turned the ignition off manually and had steering and brakes, unpowered. I put the transmission in neutral and restarted the engine. No problem.

According to the published results, all of the fatalities involved young new drivers who believed they couldn't stop or steer and went off the road hitting tress without airbag deployment.

As an engineer, I thought about this and wondered why the key slot is not vertical on the dash? The recall will simply make it a harder pull to turn off the ignition. A vertical key would make it impossible. Just sayin' ....

Bob, Charlottesville