different gas, different gas mileage

Old March 5th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default different gas, different gas mileage

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 00:15:01 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> I always record each and every fillup, writing down the odometer reading,
> how much went into the tank, and even the date and price.
>
> Over 19 years, with an average of almost 18,000 miles per year, I have yet
> to notice /any/ discernible difference in mileage from one brand to
> another.

I have noticed differences between brands and octanes. My Tercel did best
with Gulf 93 octane, ~44MPG combined. Using 89 octane it would be about 39.

Also, Shell didn't go over well with my 4 cylinders, but ran well in my
LHS. I got about 28 combined in the LHS using Shell Ultra (Vermont
station, at that time NO ethanol!)

Around here, Gulf seems to do the best. We do not have Chevron ( ...I
like Techron, too...) or Amoco.

Old March 6th 10, 12:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

yes the Cadillac of worms

Old March 6th 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Fishing, you say?
If you are going fishing, get a can of sweet corn, poke some holes in
the can and hang it in the water.The fish will come ahrunning.
http://www.rednecklures.com
cuhulin

Old March 7th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

In article >,
Bill Putney > wrote:

> Maybe it's different where you are, but here in VA, the decals on the
> pumps say something to the effect "May [ < key word] contain up to [ <
> more key words] 10% ethanol", so to me it is a real unknown, and who
> knows *what* determines from one batch to the next what the exact
> content is?

We now have that Chevron ethanol notification here in Western BC.
At least it will soak up the moisture in our gas tanks.

Glad our 2.7 Sebring, 3.3 Concorde & 3.5 300M get better mileage than
the PT cruiser.
Old March 7th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Years and years ago, mostly I used Chevron gas in my 1978 Dodge van
because there is a gas station very near me which was Chevron, it is now
an Exxon gas station.I noticed/saw that Chevron gas caused a greenish
looking slimey/mossy looking stuff in the carburetor of my van, 2 barrel
Carter carburetor.I stopped using Chevron gas.

Since then, didn't Chevron merge, or whatever, with Exxon?

Whatever, I don't buy Exxon gas either.I won't even use it in my lawn
mower.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Chevron and Exxon, both names have ons in them.Maybe that is what threw
me.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I wonder what was in that Chevron gas that caused that mossy looking
stuff in the carburetor? I have never had that problem before with other
brand names of gas.

If Chevron bought Texaco, I am staying away from Texaco gas.There are no
Texaco gas stations around here anyway, Mobile either.
cuhulin

Old March 8th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

> Around here, Gulf seems to do the best. We do not have Chevron ( ...I
> like Techron, too...) or Amoco.

Got Texaco? Its the same gasoline s (ChevronTexaco is one company now,
just like BP/Amoco, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, etc.- merger madness
a few years back.) The odd thing is that most of those companies kept
their lubricating oil operations separate after mergers. Mobil engine
oil is different than Exxon, Havoline is different than Chevron Delo,
etc. Of course Shell is the nuttiest- they own and market Shell (non
heavy duty), Quaker State, and Pennzoil under the SOPUS (Shell Oil
Products US) corp, but their heavy duty oils (Rotella in the US, Helix
elsewhere) are yet another division, and all the oil formulations are
measurably different if you look at an oil analysis of each. Kinda like
GM of the 1960s- not that many parts would interchange between a Buick
and a Chevy.

Old March 8th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:
> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>
>> Around here, Gulf seems to do the best. We do not have Chevron ( ...I
>> like Techron, too...) or Amoco.

> Got Texaco? Its the same gasoline s (ChevronTexaco is one company now,
> just like BP/Amoco, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, etc.- merger madness
> a few years back.) The odd thing is that most of those companies kept
> their lubricating oil operations separate after mergers. Mobil engine
> oil is different than Exxon, Havoline is different than Chevron Delo,
> etc. Of course Shell is the nuttiest- they own and market Shell (non
> heavy duty), Quaker State, and Pennzoil under the SOPUS (Shell Oil
> Products US) corp, but their heavy duty oils (Rotella in the US, Helix
> elsewhere) are yet another division, and all the oil formulations are
> measurably different if you look at an oil analysis of each. Kinda like
> GM of the 1960s- not that many parts would interchange between a Buick
> and a Chevy.

I thought Shell and BP were the same company.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Gas mileage the_lower_class_brat Driving 4 June 18th 08 06:08 AM
gas with best mileage [email protected][_2_] Honda 0 October 3rd 07 04:11 PM
gas mileage [email protected] Driving 1 November 9th 05 06:47 AM
TDI Mileage Mike VW water cooled 21 September 9th 05 01:18 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM