different gas, different gas mileage

Old March 3rd 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Scott Dorsey

Default different gas, different gas mileage

Pete E. Kruzer > wrote:
>As I've posted before, my 2001 PT gets terrible milage.

What have you done about it? Any codes in the ECM? Checked for vacuum
leaks? Changed plugs, cap and rotor? Checked fuel pressure? Or just
ignored it?
--scott

Old March 3rd 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:

> As I've posted before, my 2001 PT gets terrible milage.
> Here in Western PA and Eastern Ohio there's a huge supermarket chain,
> Giant Eagle.
> They have GetGo gas stations. For every $50 you spend at the market,
> you get 10¢
> off a gallon of gas. The only time I use GetGo gas is when I have a
> free tank coming.
> My cruiser on BB, Sunoco or Shell averages 16-17 mpg. My trips never
> change. I'm
> usually going to the same places the same number of times between fill
> ups.
> On the GetGo gas, I'm lucky if I come close to 13-14 mpg.

I get better than that with my 41 Windsor! 245.5 flathead 6.
I had two PTs: a sedan and a convertible. Both got terrible mileage, the
convertible with the 180hp turbo, got around 17-22 max. The sedan, with the
base engine would get around 19-26. This is Florida with flat roads
everywhere.
Old March 3rd 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Florida with flat roads everywhere.
You ever been to Spook Hill in Florida? I have.It is an optical
illusion.

By the way, I own a half acre of land in Interlachen,Florida, Putnam
County, North Florida.
cuhulin

Old March 3rd 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
> As I've posted before, my 2001 PT gets terrible milage.
> Here in Western PA and Eastern Ohio there's a huge supermarket chain,
> Giant Eagle.
> They have GetGo gas stations. For every $50 you spend at the market,
> you get 10¢
> off a gallon of gas. The only time I use GetGo gas is when I have a
> free tank coming.
> My cruiser on BB, Sunoco or Shell averages 16-17 mpg. My trips never
> change. I'm
> usually going to the same places the same number of times between fill
> ups.
> On the GetGo gas, I'm lucky if I come close to 13-14 mpg.

The best I've ever done on my wife's 2005 PT (automatic) was 27.5 on the
highway. More typical is 24-25, and around town is 20 to 21. I don't
consider that particularly good since her 3.5L Vision TSi that
out-weighed the PT by a few hundred pounds and out-powered it by almost
100 horsepower got even better mileage (30 highway when it was in its
prime). But what I really can't understand why your 2001 does so badly.
I know other owners of early PTs which were similar to yours, though.
Old March 3rd 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Maybe it's different where you are, but here in VA, the decals on the
pumps say something to the effect "May [ < key word] contain up to [ <
more key words] 10% ethanol", so to me it is a real unknown, and who
knows *what* determines from one batch to the next what the exact
content is?

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Old March 4th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Tegger[_2_]

Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:

> I've always liked chevron gas because it has techroline, which is one
> of the best fuel detergents. But I've noticed lately that when I buy
> Chevron my 2009 PT seems to get about 2 - 3 mpg worse gas mileage. My
> other typical fill up is some "FastGas" type place. This change has
> happened often enough that I'm pretty sure it's not completely my
> imagination. Anyone else noticed such a change from one brand to
> another? On the FastGas I usually get 24.5 on my typical driving
> cycle, 70% commute, on the Chevron it drops down to about 22.

I always record each and every fillup, writing down the odometer reading,
how much went into the tank, and even the date and price.

Over 19 years, with an average of almost 18,000 miles per year, I have yet
to notice /any/ discernible difference in mileage from one brand to
another.

Because accurate results require very long-term measuring over many
fillups, I run into seasonal temperature variation, which is a confounding
factor.

However, there /is/ considerable difference in mileage from summer to
winter and back again. This difference appears to be unrelated to gasoline
brand.

There is also considerable difference in mileage when taking a single
fillup against the others. I've seen as much as 15% variance in mileage
between individual fillups. The variance is erased when many fillups are
included in the calculation. This is true even when batches of fillups
overlap.

I used to think I had seen an approximately 2% drop in mileage between 87-
octane and 91-octane, but now I'm not so sure. My test periods extend over
two or more seasons, so that 2% could easily be explained by temperature
variation.

These are just my very careful observations. Take them as you will.

--
Tegger

Old March 4th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Tegger[_2_]

Tegger > wrote in
:

> However, there /is/ considerable difference in mileage from summer to
> winter and back again. This difference appears to be unrelated to
> gasoline brand.

Clarification: the word "however" should not be in this paragraph. I
ngelected to excise it while rearranging my previous post.

--
Tegger

Old March 4th 10, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

yeah same thing down here.......up to 10%.

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Maybe it's different where you are, but here in VA, the decals on the
> pumps say something to the effect "May [ < key word] contain up to [ <
> more key words] 10% ethanol", so to me it is a real unknown, and who knows
> *what* determines from one batch to the next what the exact content is?
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
> with the letter 'x')
>
> Rob wrote:
>> 10% ethanol out here and that's not a seasonal thing.
>>
>> local techs recommend a small amount of amsoil 2 stroke in your gas tank
>> but a very small amount, about 1 ounce per 10 gallons i think but i am
>> checking on that now.

>>> Amount of alcohol added, seasonal blend formulations and accuracy of the
>>> blend, quality of gas as far as moisture/water due to condensation that
>>> collects in the tanks, particularly during th winter can be a factor.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill Putney
>>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>>> address with the letter 'x')

Gas mileage the_lower_class_brat Driving 4 June 18th 08 06:08 AM
gas with best mileage [email protected][_2_] Honda 0 October 3rd 07 04:11 PM
gas mileage [email protected] Driving 1 November 9th 05 06:47 AM
TDI Mileage Mike VW water cooled 21 September 9th 05 01:18 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM