How recalls really should be done

Old February 17th 10, 03:05 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1

Default How recalls really should be done

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Clive" > wrote in message
>> In message >, Steve
>> > writes
>>>All engines will eventually leak a small amount of oil. It just shouldn't
>>>be channeled to a place where it can start a fire that could spread.

>> Perhaps you should tell my eight year old Nissan that, it obviously
>> hasn't heard, though it might start leaking tomorrow, I'll have to wait
>> and see. --
>> Clive
>>

> He is right, but it can take a long time these days. My cars from the
> 50's through 80's all had some drips but my '91 took over 10 years for any
> signs of oil and it was a couple of drops a week, my '01 LeSabre, for all
> its
> fault, does not leak a drop. Eventually, front and rear seals will wear
> or
> a valve cover gasket will leak, but it may be years before I see it.
>
> In the case of my '53 Mercury, if it was liquid, it leaked.

Add cars from the '40s in there also. All my 40's Chryslers leaked, those
old flathead engines all leaked a little. Even the road tubes will leak
oil.
Old February 17th 10, 03:07 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sctvguy1

Clive wrote:

> In message >, Ed Pawlowski
> > writes
>>In the case of my '53 Mercury, if it was liquid, it leaked.

> Now that is what the old British designs did.

I had a 77 MGB, original engine, that never leaked a drop in the 14 years
that I owned it. After re-doing the electrical systems with waterproof
connectors and shrink-wrap, I never had a "prince of darkness" problem
either.
Old February 24th 10, 06:34 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Canuck57 wrote:
> On 16/02/2010 3:29 PM, Steve wrote:
>> Clive wrote:
>>> In message >, Canuck57

>>> Having just read it, I notice there is no reference to stopping the
>>> oil leak, just an attempt at fire prevention.

>> All engines will eventually leak a small amount of oil. It just
>> shouldn't be channeled to a place where it can start a fire that could
>> spread.

> My 13 1/2 year old Nissan Pathfinder didn't leak, had 200,000++ on the odo.
>
> No real reason for them to leak other than a cheap design. Not
> ergonomic and green either.

Even if it didn't drip... it DID leak a small amount. Show me ANY engine
over 5 years old and in regular use, and I'll show you a few damp spots
around various gaskets. If you haven't seen them, then you just haven't
looked.

Old February 26th 10, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Clive[_2_]

In message >, Steve
> writes
>Even if it didn't drip... it DID leak a small amount. Show me ANY
>engine over 5 years old and in regular use, and I'll show you a few
>damp spots around various gaskets. If you haven't seen them, then you
>just haven't looked.

Feel free to come and examine my seven and a half year old Nissan car,
once we have agreed betting terms.
--
Clive

Old March 1st 10, 04:31 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Clive wrote:
> In message >, Steve
> > writes
>> Even if it didn't drip... it DID leak a small amount. Show me ANY
>> engine over 5 years old and in regular use, and I'll show you a few
>> damp spots around various gaskets. If you haven't seen them, then you
>> just haven't looked.

> Feel free to come and examine my seven and a half year old Nissan car,
> once we have agreed betting terms.

Have YOU actually taken a good hard look at every seal? And I don't mean
in the case where you wash the engine every few months, either.

recalls [email protected] BMW 4 January 3rd 08 05:22 PM
recalls [email protected] Honda 0 January 1st 08 12:24 AM
recalls [email protected] Ford Explorer 0 January 1st 08 12:17 AM
Vue Recalls ??? Your name Saturn 4 December 18th 06 08:11 PM
recalls what to do? || BMW 3 December 21st 04 05:34 PM