The New GT500 Is Freakin' Quick!

Old January 28th 12, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default The New GT500 Is Freakin' Quick!

The lucky guys over at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords have just
published a new story on their inside access to the development of the
2013 Shelby GT500. We earlier showed you a similar story from Road &
Track, but while that article focused mostly on the handling
improvements developed on the Nürburgring, this story from MM&FF goes
into detail about how Ford has made the 2013 Shelby GT500 even faster
at the dragstrip.

Similar to our overview of the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8, MM&FF
gives a nice overview of the engine changes to the Shelby GT500 for
2013. What really interested us, though, are the details regarding the
all new launch control system. An advanced version of the one featured
in the 2012 Boss 302, the launch control system allows the driver to
set a specific launch rpm, and combined with an advanced traction
control system will allow the car to launch with virtually no slip.
MM&FF got to experience the system at work and says that “after seeing
the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of
even the best quarter-mile hot shoes.” That’s saying something, since
editor Evan Smith is an experienced drag racer capable of getting the
fastest times out of any car.

Ford also stated that the system is capable of adapting to a wide
range of variables. “It works in real time and changes with
conditions,” says Dan Dunn, an engineer who worked on the 2013 Shelby
GT500. “It will adapt to changes in gearing within reason, and to many
performance modification,”

So what can we expect as far as 1/4 mile times from the 2013 Shelby
GT500? MM&FF estimates that “the 650hp GT500 will be capable of
running 11.70s to 11.60s at well above 120 mph in bone-stock trim. In
optimal conditions, perhaps quicker and faster. And with 4.30s and
sticky tires, low 11s or even 10s could be possible.”
----

Mid 11s, DEAD stock, not to mention WELL over 120mph traps, and maybe
10s with JUST traction and gears. Are we not living in the good ol'
days?

Patrick
Old January 31st 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scammed Public

On Jan 28, 2:34*pm, "
> wrote:
> The lucky guys over at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords have just
> published a new story on their inside access to the development of the
> 2013 Shelby GT500. We earlier showed you a similar story from Road &
> Track, but while that article focused mostly on the handling
> improvements developed on the Nürburgring, this story from MM&FF goes
> into detail about how Ford has made the 2013 Shelby GT500 even faster
> at the dragstrip.
>
> Similar to our overview of the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8, MM&FF
> gives a nice overview of the engine changes to the Shelby GT500 for
> 2013. What really interested us, though, are the details regarding the
> all new launch control system. An advanced version of the one featured
> in the 2012 Boss 302, the launch control system allows the driver to
> set a specific launch rpm, and combined with an advanced traction
> control system will allow the car to launch with virtually no slip.
> MM&FF got to experience the system at work and says that “after seeing
> the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of
> even the best quarter-mile hot shoes.” That’s saying something, since
> editor Evan Smith is an experienced drag racer capable of getting the
> fastest times out of any car.
>
> Ford also stated that the system is capable of adapting to a wide
> range of variables. “It works in real time and changes with
> conditions,” says Dan Dunn, an engineer who worked on the 2013 Shelby
> GT500. “It will adapt to changes in gearing within reason, and to many
> performance modification,”
>
> So what can we expect as far as 1/4 mile times from the 2013 Shelby
> GT500? MM&FF estimates that “the 650hp GT500 will be capable of
> running 11.70s to 11.60s at well above 120 mph in bone-stock trim. In
> optimal conditions, perhaps quicker and faster. And with 4.30s and
> sticky tires, low 11s or even 10s could be possible.”
> ----
>
> Mid 11s, DEAD stock, not to mention WELL over 120mph traps, and maybe
> 10s with JUST traction and gears. *Are we not living in the good ol'
> days?
>
> Patrick

How come a Dodge Dart with a Hemi could do high 10's in the late
1960's with a motor only rated at 425 gross horsepower?
A Thunderbolt with a 427 could do mid 11's. None of them claimed to
have 650hp which translated is probably 720 gross h.p. in the old
system.
Old February 3rd 12, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biofilm

"Scammed Public" > wrote in message
On Jan 28, 2:34 pm, "
> wrote:
> The lucky guys over at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords have just
> published a new story on their inside access to the development of the
> 2013 Shelby GT500. We earlier showed you a similar story from Road &
> Track, but while that article focused mostly on the handling
> improvements developed on the Nürburgring, this story from MM&FF goes
> into detail about how Ford has made the 2013 Shelby GT500 even faster
> at the dragstrip.
>
> Similar to our overview of the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8, MM&FF
> gives a nice overview of the engine changes to the Shelby GT500 for
> 2013. What really interested us, though, are the details regarding the
> all new launch control system. An advanced version of the one featured
> in the 2012 Boss 302, the launch control system allows the driver to
> set a specific launch rpm, and combined with an advanced traction
> control system will allow the car to launch with virtually no slip.
> MM&FF got to experience the system at work and says that “after seeing
> the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of
> even the best quarter-mile hot shoes.” That’s saying something, since
> editor Evan Smith is an experienced drag racer capable of getting the
> fastest times out of any car.
>
> Ford also stated that the system is capable of adapting to a wide
> range of variables. “It works in real time and changes with
> conditions,” says Dan Dunn, an engineer who worked on the 2013 Shelby
> GT500. “It will adapt to changes in gearing within reason, and to many
> performance modification,”
>
> So what can we expect as far as 1/4 mile times from the 2013 Shelby
> GT500? MM&FF estimates that “the 650hp GT500 will be capable of
> running 11.70s to 11.60s at well above 120 mph in bone-stock trim. In
> optimal conditions, perhaps quicker and faster. And with 4.30s and
> sticky tires, low 11s or even 10s could be possible.”
> ----
>
> Mid 11s, DEAD stock, not to mention WELL over 120mph traps, and maybe
> 10s with JUST traction and gears. Are we not living in the good ol'
> days?
>
> Patrick

How come a Dodge Dart with a Hemi could do high 10's in the late
1960's with a motor only rated at 425 gross horsepower?
A Thunderbolt with a 427 could do mid 11's. None of them claimed to
have 650hp which translated is probably 720 gross h.p. in the old
system.

Pigsta Weight
AND
sucky computer program which you can not program to make the car super
quick.
the HP is shifted out to the high RPMs, numbers game now
(safer, slower saves old ladies lives)

Old February 3rd 12, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Feb 2, 7:56*pm, "biofilm" > wrote:
> "Scammed Public" > wrote in message

> On Jan 28, 2:34 pm, "
>

> > wrote:
> > The lucky guys over at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords have just
> > published a new story on their inside access to the development of the
> > 2013 Shelby GT500. We earlier showed you a similar story from Road &
> > Track, but while that article focused mostly on the handling
> > improvements developed on the Nürburgring, this story from MM&FF goes
> > into detail about how Ford has made the 2013 Shelby GT500 even faster
> > at the dragstrip.

> > Similar to our overview of the new supercharged 5.8-liter V8, MM&FF
> > gives a nice overview of the engine changes to the Shelby GT500 for
> > 2013. What really interested us, though, are the details regarding the
> > all new launch control system. An advanced version of the one featured
> > in the 2012 Boss 302, the launch control system allows the driver to
> > set a specific launch rpm, and combined with an advanced traction
> > control system will allow the car to launch with virtually no slip.
> > MM&FF got to experience the system at work and says that “after seeing
> > the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of
> > even the best quarter-mile hot shoes.” That’s saying something, since
> > editor Evan Smith is an experienced drag racer capable of getting the
> > fastest times out of any car.

> > Ford also stated that the system is capable of adapting to a wide
> > range of variables. “It works in real time and changes with
> > conditions,” says Dan Dunn, an engineer who worked on the 2013 Shelby
> > GT500. “It will adapt to changes in gearing within reason, and to many
> > performance modification,”

> > So what can we expect as far as 1/4 mile times from the 2013 Shelby
> > GT500? MM&FF estimates that “the 650hp GT500 will be capable of
> > running 11.70s to 11.60s at well above 120 mph in bone-stock trim. In
> > optimal conditions, perhaps quicker and faster. And with 4.30s and
> > sticky tires, low 11s or even 10s could be possible.”
> > ----

> > Mid 11s, DEAD stock, not to mention WELL over 120mph traps, and maybe
> > 10s with JUST traction and gears. Are we not living in the good ol'
> > days?

> > Patrick

> How come a Dodge Dart with a Hemi could do high 10's in the late
> 1960's with a motor only rated at 425 gross horsepower?
> A Thunderbolt with a 427 could do mid 11's. *None of them claimed to
> have 650hp which translated is probably 720 gross h.p. in the old
> system.

These number were obtained because they were stripped-down drag cars
with pro-built motors using racing slicks and pro drivers. Do the
same thing with a modern car, and 11's and even 10s would be child's
play.

> Pigsta Weight

The old hemi Challengers and 'Cudas were far from lightweights, same
for the big-block Mustangs.

> AND sucky computer program *which you can not program to make the car super
> quick.

Like the launch-control systems, the modern automatic transmissions
that can bang off shifts quicker than any hot shoe driving a manual,
or efficiency/amazing HP they can squeeze from small displacement
engines? All are brought to you by computers. As for "super quick"
try on a Nissan GT-R. 0-60 in the mid 2-second range, on street
tires.

> the HP is shifted out to the high RPMs, numbers game now
> (safer, slower saves old ladies lives)

"Safer, slower", like the 180-200+ mph top ends?

Dudes, apparently you're not aware, but we're living in the good ol'
days. Modern performance cars are technological wonders -- the run of
the mill versions absolutely crush their old street going counterparts
in handling, braking, top end, 1/4 mile and 0-60. It's no longer a
contest. Case in point: The new Boss 302 vs the old Boss. Or the new
Boss 302 vs any previous street-going Mustang. The any contest new
Boss isn't just the "boss" it's the CEO.

Patrick