Changing Timing belt

Old April 6th 05, 09:03 AM

Default Changing Timing belt

89 civic. I went to a shop and asked about the leaking.
The man told me it is the engine oil is leaking not coolant.
He said it's about $400 to fix the timing belt, camshaft seal
and water pump. I asked him it's bit expensive for 16 yr old car.
He said that he used a good part and warned me not to use
cheap made in china stuff. I don't know if I believe him.
I would like to fix by myself. I can take out the drivebelt.
My problem is the timing belt and it's alignment thing. I did read
about timing belt thing from manual and other self-help book but I'm
not smart enough to understand it. I'm still confused. Do you know any
website article by step by step help? Photo website could be much
helpful.

Old April 6th 05, 03:49 PM
Ron

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> 89 civic. I went to a shop and asked about the leaking.
> The man told me it is the engine oil is leaking not coolant.
> He said it's about $400 to fix the timing belt, camshaft seal
> and water pump. I asked him it's bit expensive for 16 yr old car.
> He said that he used a good part and warned me not to use
> cheap made in china stuff. I don't know if I believe him.
> I would like to fix by myself. I can take out the drivebelt.
> My problem is the timing belt and it's alignment thing. I did read
> about timing belt thing from manual and other self-help book but I'm
> not smart enough to understand it. I'm still confused. Do you know any
> website article by step by step help? Photo website could be much
> helpful.

If you don't know what you're doing, take it to somebody else to do it. It
is not easy for a beginner. It is the only thing I don't do to my car as
preventive maintenance. $400 is about right if he uses Honda parts and
includes the water pump.

Old April 6th 05, 09:11 PM
Woody

It is especially difficult for someone that doesn't know the difference
between leaking oil or leaking anti freeze......