Consumer Reports: "Disappointing ION"...

Old June 25th 04, 02:43 AM
Jonnie Santos

....yeah, I figured with a hp number over double the torque number it was
living on boost (especially with such small displacement)...

What is "compaired to a sbc with a turbo" ?

"Blah blah" > wrote in message
> In article <C7tCc.13015$WI2.97@lakeread05>,
> says...
> > 162 cubic inches, 300 lbs torque and 800 hp - wonder how many R's before

it

http://www.cartracingupdate.com/Cars/honda.htm

Old June 26th 04, 12:15 AM
satyr

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:20:31 GMT, Blah blah > wrote:

>Usually if someone takes the time mounting a turbo on a sbc they make at
>least 1000hp and 1000 torque. If not they can still get close to that
>without turbocharging.

I think the Indy Car formula has a pretty low boost limit.

The best Honda racing engines were the 1987 F1 engines when the boost
was unrestricted. The 1.5L V6s made 1300hp for qualifying. Race
power was about 1100hp but the driver could turn a rotary switch to
get an extra 100hp for passing. The racing director, Nabuhiko
Kawamota claimed that the could have gotten another 200hp out of it if
the boost hadn't been restricted in 1988. Kawamota later became the
President of HMC.