T-Frog -- All You Need Is a Turbo Tuneup.

Old January 29th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Default T-Frog -- All You Need Is a Turbo Tuneup.

140,000 miles and 450 HP.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...y-stock-motor/

Patrick
Old January 29th 12, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-01-28, > wrote:
> 140,000 miles and 450 HP.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...y-stock-motor/

I like the end of the article when the list starts adding up... and then
there's getting the suspension and rest of drive train to handle it (or
even use it) for the long term. And while that car has 140K on it, I
doubt the drivetrain or engine does.

Old January 29th 12, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biofilm

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2012-01-28, > wrote:
>> 140,000 miles and 450 HP.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...y-stock-motor/

> I like the end of the article when the list starts adding up... and then
> there's getting the suspension and rest of drive train to handle it (or
> even use it) for the long term. And while that car has 140K on it, I
> doubt the drivetrain or engine does.

agree, drivetrain cant take that much for long time.
Also have to change fuel rail size to get to 450 even with the big fuel pump
220,
if it has 140K miles on it, the compression wont be the same on all the
cylenders, it will be higher than a new engine,
the motor will have carbon built up in it, and the water flow will be poor
as the passages are mucked up, engine will run HOT.
And you cant keep the engine cool enough to use much of that HP with time.
AND many of the rubber parts will be snozzed,
engine wiring is starting to have problems (due to years of crossion)
Paint
AND that torque/HP is on the high end of RPM, not much push you back in your
seat umph at start
so Im still saving my money for 2011 with a whipple or KB. (40k or so)

Old January 29th 12, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

" > wrote in message
> 140,000 miles and 450 HP.
>
> http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...y-stock-motor/
>
> Patrick

$6,000 for a gently-used Fox? First one with $6,000 gets to drive my car
away (and, yes, it is a fully-functional gently-used Fox).

I went through the exercise years ago - priced out a new 302 crate engine
($3,200), then started adding up all of the other components I would have
needed. At the time, complete with a killer paint job, I would have spent
between $10K and $12K on that project. In the end, I decided that TFrog was
just fine the way it was.

These days, staring retirement in the face (in 10 years), I'd gladly take
$6,000 for TFrog, another $6,000 for CFrog, and plop that money down on a
new V6 with two and only two options (performance package and illuminated
door sills). Let someone else dump all that money into an 18-year-old Fox.

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Old January 30th 12, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 28, 8:25*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2012-01-28, > wrote:
>
> > 140,000 miles and 450 HP.

> >http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...450-hp-on-most...

> I like the end of the article when the list starts adding up... and then
> there's getting the suspension and rest of drive train to handle it (or
> even use it) for the long term. And while that car has 140K on it, I
> doubt the drivetrain or engine does.

I know a couple guys who put blowers on 5.0s with that sort of mileage
and ran them for a couple years without issue. Mild boost though --
6lbs.

Patrick
Old January 30th 12, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biofilm

"dwight" > wrote in message

> " > wrote in message
>> 140,000 miles and 450 HP.
>>
>> http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...y-stock-motor/
>>
>> Patrick

> $6,000 for a gently-used Fox? First one with $6,000 gets to drive my car
> away (and, yes, it is a fully-functional gently-used Fox).
>
> I went through the exercise years ago - priced out a new 302 crate engine
> ($3,200), then started adding up all of the other components I would have
> needed. At the time, complete with a killer paint job, I would have spent
> between $10K and $12K on that project. In the end, I decided that TFrog
> was just fine the way it was.
>
> These days, staring retirement in the face (in 10 years), I'd gladly take
> $6,000 for TFrog, another $6,000 for CFrog, and plop that money down on a
> new V6 with two and only two options (performance package and illuminated
> door sills). Let someone else dump all that money into an 18-year-old Fox.
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

I sold my 1993 after having it 14 years, I put a used KB 8# supercharger on
it (bought SC out of Autotrader), had to rebuild the engine a couple years
ago, and the car was too brutal for the wife/kids to ride in ( actually that
is good news). But I started haveing drive train vibrations, and was tired
of putting more money into the car. It was very fast, great for in town.
Scary for front passenger seat people.
(from memory, so some of these are ballpark)
Car from Cop Car aution $6,000
SC - $1,700
motor rebuild - $3,300 (10 years later)
SC rebuild $1200 (10 years later)
clutch(s) - 600
Heater core (2 times) - 1200
headers - 250
Radiators (2 times) - $400
altinator - 150
Battorys - 400
fuel pump 220 l/hr installed $130 -
Tires - $500
Clutch Quadrent 90
Motor Mounts (two times)
Tune $350
water pump (two times)
shocks,
other stuff......
So I had about $16,000 into it, and then the drive shaft was vibrating
funny, it seems like the car had a new noise or sound happening when I drove
it.
I did not trust the engine rebuild totally, for a few minor reasons.
So I sold it, for about $6500 which was a little low, but the paint sucked,
"rub off blue" with your finger, cheap paint over the black and white cop
car, you could start to see the black and white even.
Saw it on the freeway a month ago, they had painted it, and put a scoop on
the hood, looked good, sounded great, an old friend.
I should have kept it. But now I dont have to work on it, which is OK...

overall the cost was about $800 per year driving it (no gasoline in that
cost) or about $3/day.
Well worth it, nice and fast, lots of torque, no bog.

Old January 30th 12, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

Old January 30th 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 1/29/2012 20:22, wrote:
> On Jan 28, 8:25 pm, > wrote:
>> On 2012-01-28, > wrote:
>>
>>> 140,000 miles and 450 HP.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...450-hp-on-most...

>> I like the end of the article when the list starts adding up... and then
>> there's getting the suspension and rest of drive train to handle it (or
>> even use it) for the long term. And while that car has 140K on it, I
>> doubt the drivetrain or engine does.

> I know a couple guys who put blowers on 5.0s with that sort of mileage
> and ran them for a couple years without issue. Mild boost though --
> 6lbs.
>
> Patrick

Like anything, longevity has a lot to do with how much foot you put
into it and how often.
Old January 30th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2012-01-30, WindsorFox<SS> > wrote:
> On 1/29/2012 20:22, wrote:

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...450-hp-on-most...

>>> I like the end of the article when the list starts adding up... and then
>>> there's getting the suspension and rest of drive train to handle it (or
>>> even use it) for the long term. And while that car has 140K on it, I
>>> doubt the drivetrain or engine does.

>> I know a couple guys who put blowers on 5.0s with that sort of mileage
>> and ran them for a couple years without issue. Mild boost though --
>> 6lbs.
>>
>> Patrick

> Like anything, longevity has a lot to do with how much foot you put
> into it and how often.

And that's where factory power wins. The whole car is built around
people putting their feet into it considerably more than most people
would. The manufacturer has warranty costs to avoid for the whole car.
Nobody who makes the parts for modding a car has to worry about the
other parts that might break from the additional power. That's the
owner's problem to think it through and try to figure it out before
finding the weak points the hard way.

Tuneup ? and Follow Up Mindy[_2_] Jeep 2 August 30th 10 03:19 PM
Tuneup a Lumina Roscoe Technology 3 June 6th 06 05:14 PM
97 Accord Tuneup? Enuf4me Honda 8 March 16th 06 06:23 PM
4x4 Tuneup Mark M. 4x4 1 September 14th 05 09:15 PM
90k tuneup KLS Audi 2 June 28th 05 05:46 PM