'01 LW300 groaning

Old September 7th 11, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ned Flanders[_2_]

Default '01 LW300 groaning

Oppie wrote:
> "Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
>> Sounds like a great way to spend the Labor Day weekend or as we say in
>> Canada Labour Day!
>>
>> Good luck on the alternator!

> Unlike the tensioner and water pump that were in the $50 range, the
> alternator is coming up as $215 plus core charge. <sigh>
> Alternator is tucked way under the engine toward the rear. Don't even
> know yet how difficult it is to get to. Shop manual didn't give much
> information. I remember what a royal pain getting to the starter motor
> was when the solenoid had fried (5 years ago).
>
> The other good thing I forgot to mention is that while I had the timing
> belt housing off to get to the water pump, I could see that the timing
> belt and all the idlers were in good shape and well tensioned. I'll give
> it another look next year.
>
> ... I thought in Canada, it was Labrador day...
> Where in Canada are you?
>
> My son had permanently 'borrowed' my torque wrench. Went up the street
> to one of the new neighbors to borrow his. They just moved in from
> Germany and he works with Lufthansa at Kennedy Airport in NYC. He was
> proudly telling me about Opel and how they designed the L-series.

Ah, I miss messing with my car... The new one (2008 VUE) is still under
the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, my old one 1991 Mustang was taken
from me suddenly 2 and 1/2 years ago. She was T-Boned in an intersection
buy a guy who ran a red light (she did not suffer).

Unfortunately I did not fare so well and getting up and down to work
under a car has gotten to be a challenge.

The warranty will expire near the end of this year due to mileage (I use
the VUE for work) so I am not sure if I will be working on it or looking
for a good cheap mechanic.

I was born, raised, and currently live in the Vancouver area of BC.
Costs an arm and a leg to live here, but I would not live any other place...
Old September 7th 11, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"Oppie" > wrote in message
> "Private" > wrote in message
>>
>> I recommend you use a proper mechanics stethoscope, the kind with a rod
>> attached to a small diaphragm. Touch the rod to suspected problem areas
>> while engine is running. It will really isolate sounds like bad
>> bearings. They are not expensive and are often available @ cheap tools R
>> us. In a pinch a short length of hose held to one ear can also be very
>> helpful.
>>
>> Good luck YMMV

> I had taken a long screwdriver putting the handle to my ear and touching
> the long blade to bits and pieces.
> Two problems though -
> Can't quite see the blade while handle it to ear. Best to place it and
> then put ear to handle.
> Wife asked why I had a perfect circle of grease in my ear. Best to wipe
> down the messy handle before using in this manner...
>
> The engine with all it's solidly mounted accessories is a huge sounding
> board. Sounds are pretty readily coupled throughout the package which
> makes localizing a bit difficult.

You need to try a proper diaphragm type stethoscope to realize just how good
they really are. The screwdriver in the ear can be helpful as is the length
of hose, but IMHO, neither come close to a diaphragm stethoscope.

Just my .02

Old September 9th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"Private" > wrote in message

>> The engine with all it's solidly mounted accessories is a huge sounding
>> board. Sounds are pretty readily coupled throughout the package which
>> makes localizing a bit difficult.
>>

> You need to try a proper diaphragm type stethoscope to realize just how
> good they really are. The screwdriver in the ear can be helpful as is the
> length of hose, but IMHO, neither come close to a diaphragm stethoscope.
>
> Just my .02

And a good .02 it is. I'll keep my eyes open for one.

I'm still looking to buy one of the funky tools to remove the reusable bands
around all the intake runners so I can service the thermostat. It's buried
way under the intake plumbing.

Old September 9th 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"Oppie" > wrote in message
> "Private" > wrote in message
>>
>>> The engine with all it's solidly mounted accessories is a huge sounding
>>> board. Sounds are pretty readily coupled throughout the package which
>>> makes localizing a bit difficult.
>>>

>> You need to try a proper diaphragm type stethoscope to realize just how
>> good they really are. The screwdriver in the ear can be helpful as is
>> the length of hose, but IMHO, neither come close to a diaphragm
>> stethoscope.
>>
>> Just my .02

> And a good .02 it is. I'll keep my eyes open for one.
>
> I'm still looking to buy one of the funky tools to remove the reusable
> bands around all the intake runners so I can service the thermostat. It's
> buried way under the intake plumbing.

IIRC these clamps are easily removed using any fairly large adjustable
pliers or 'water pump' slip joint pliers. The clamps self lock in the open
position, and can be closed by pressing on the lock open tab (with a
srewdriver or such).

IIRC, I purchased my last diaphragm type mechanic's stethoscope for <$10,
high quality does not seem to be much of a concern, but as always, YMMV.

Happy trails.

Old September 10th 11, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"Private" > wrote in message

> IIRC these clamps are easily removed using any fairly large adjustable
> pliers or 'water pump' slip joint pliers. The clamps self lock in the
> open position, and can be closed by pressing on the lock open tab (with a
> srewdriver or such).
>
> IIRC, I purchased my last diaphragm type mechanic's stethoscope for <$10,
> high quality does not seem to be much of a concern, but as always, YMMV.
>
> Happy trails.

I'll give it a try. Worst come to worst, can just tie it off with bailing
wire...

Engine's just so pretty looking. Don't want to mess it up. That 3 Liter
engine is a beast.

Old September 26th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default '01 LW300 groaning - finally fixed

Finally ponied up for a new alternator. Friend's shop got me a new Bosch 120
amp unit for $175, his cost. He trusts me to return the core. Retail cost
was anywhere from $230 to $250.

Fun part was trying to remove the alternator. Actually, removing the
alternator from the engine was fairly simple. Removing it from the engine
compartment was a total pain in the A--!

remove - battery clamp. Tends to lay back against battery so put a
insulating block between cable and battery to prevent accidental touching.
Removed the airbox and MAF sensor.
Remove serpentine belt and remove tensioner assy from block.
Remove one bolt from top of alternator.
Jack up car and remove front right wheel.
Remove lower alternator bolt through wheel well (just above driveshaft).
Pry alternator out of brackets, remove two electrical connections (status
and battery).
Now it gets interesting as there is no reasonable way to remove the
alternator from the engine compartment. I finally was able to remove it
between the engine and firewall but only after I undid cables and removed
right side engine mount allowing engine to be moved up and forward slightly.
Took me about 90 minutes to figure this out since the saturn shop manual
only said 'remove generator.'

Give the old generator pulley a spin and to my great joy definitely hear the
sound of a bad bearing. Got it right this time.

OK, now install new generator and notice that it sits very loose in the
mount with bolts hand tightened. Thought I lost a shim and spend another 10
minutes looking for one. Not to be found. Didn't say anywhere that these
generators have as their inboard support, a threaded bushing that is pressed
in. As you torque the bolts to spec, the bushing slides out and gives a very
firm connection. Very nice but I wish that there had been some information
about this.

Reinstall tensioner assy, install serpentine belt, reinstall engine mount
(had jack supporting oil pan while engine mount was out)...

Everything all installed and torqued to specs. Turn the key to on and wait
until the high pitched sound from the engine stops. This is the chopping
drive to the throttle motor (it's a drive by wire). Gives engine controller
a baseline for MAF and MAP sensors. Leave key in on position and start.

Amazing! Groan is gone. Mission successful and took about three hours. One
used to be able to do these things in about 20 minutes in RWD cars.

Was reading that these are brushless generators. Was curious about the
construction but not curious enough to take it apart for fear that core
return would be voided. My day job is electrical engineering. If anybody
is interested what the difference between brushed and brushless designs,
here are a few references:
www.newindo.com/pdf/3334SI.pdf
www.pearen.ca/dunlite/BrushlessAlternators.pdf

Oppie

Steering wheel groaning Harry Lockwood[_2_] BMW 6 June 11th 08 06:34 PM
source of groaning noise? Robert Reynolds Chrysler 4 June 12th 07 03:19 PM
Steering Column Groaning RZ Dodge 1 February 17th 06 10:43 AM
01 GTI groaning noise while steering YYZedd VW water cooled 1 October 26th 05 04:09 PM
'95 Voyager 4-spd - groaning noise Jeff Wieland Chrysler 6 August 30th 05 07:28 AM