Ping Dad

Old June 24th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Ping Dad

On the car I bought; what are your thoughts on the following:

1) I get a good paint expert to go through the paint and touch up anything
as needed (rock pings on nose or whatever) to get it 100% perfect
2) Put a bunch of layers of clearcoat with extra brilliant red pearl over
the entire car. Maybe 5 or 6 coats.

I thought if I did that it would do two things: make it look more "candy
apple-ish" and protect the paint from any damage. I would think if I got
any road nicks on the nose that I could then just buff out the clear coat.

Your thoughts?

01 C5 Coupe Magnetic Red II
http://www.hcast.photosite.com/Corvettes/?page=5

Old June 24th 06, 05:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Anon" > wrote in message ...
> On the car I bought; what are your thoughts on the following:
>
> 1) I get a good paint expert to go through the paint and touch up anything as needed (rock pings
> on nose or whatever) to get it 100% perfect

If it's done correctly, no problem. I'm working on one right now that has been fixed before and in
order to buff it out the heat has blistered the repairs in two places already. In other words the
repairs didn't stick because of poor preparation. Now to be done correct I've removed all of the
repairs and started over. The guy's not happy and he will miss his car show this weekend as well.

> 2) Put a bunch of layers of clearcoat with extra brilliant red pearl over the entire car. Maybe
> 5 or 6 coats.

Why more than one coat? That's the way they use to lay on lacquer up to 18, 20 coats and sand or
buff between all of them. That process kept the overall thickness relatively thin. Keep it simple
and thin, plus keep the paint code and the mix of the tint where it can be found for the next
repair/owner. That information should include volume of materials, ratios, and the manufacturer of
the materials. You would be surprised how happy in $s the next painter could be.

> I thought if I did that it would do two things: make it look more "candy apple-ish" and protect
> the paint from any damage. I would think if I got any road nicks on the nose that I could then
> just buff out the clear coat.

The finish is already protected, a quality tinted clear coat may add some protection but not much.
Good luck on buffing out a rock chip in thick paint, won't happen for but just a few. Just a thought
on the paint, the thicker it is the bigger it will chip.

> Your thoughts?
> 01 C5 Coupe Magnetic Red II

One last thought, if you keep it "100% perfect" you ain't using it like it should be used.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51