Old Car.

Old December 3rd 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

Default Old Car.

Google,,, ericpetersautos.com Old Car End Run I don't drive my 1983 Dodge van (with a Carter Thermoquad 4 barrel carburetor) often enough to make instsalling fuel injection worth while to me. I drive it about once a month, the gas in the carburetor bowl evaporates, I have to pump the pedal a few times to get gas in there.
Old December 4th 13, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 12/3/2013 1:52 PM, JR wrote:
> Google,,, ericpetersautos.com Old Car End Run I don't drive my 1983 Dodge van (with a Carter Thermoquad 4 barrel carburetor) often enough to make instsalling fuel injection worth while to me. I drive it about once a month, the gas in the carburetor bowl evaporates, I have to pump the pedal a few times to get gas in there.

I left my 1994 Honda Civic Si parked outside for 9 months straight, and
it started up with less than 5 seconds of turning the engine over. Used
the original battery the 11 years I had the car.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old December 4th 13, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:51:19 -0600, "T0m $herman"
> wrote:

>On 12/3/2013 1:52 PM, JR wrote:
>> Google,,, ericpetersautos.com Old Car End Run I don't drive my 1983 Dodge van (with a Carter Thermoquad 4 barrel carburetor) often enough to make instsalling fuel injection worth while to me. I drive it about once a month, the gas in the carburetor bowl evaporates, I have to pump the pedal a few times to get gas in there.
>>

>I left my 1994 Honda Civic Si parked outside for 9 months straight, and
>it started up with less than 5 seconds of turning the engine over. Used
>the original battery the 11 years I had the car.

My "daily" driver is like that, but I don't think I've gone more than
6 months without driving it, and of course it has fuel injection.
1993 Grand Am. Think its on its second battery.

Old December 4th 13, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:31:36 PM UTC-6, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:51:19 -0600, "T0m $herman"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On 12/3/2013 1:52 PM, JR wrote:

> >> Google,,, ericpetersautos.com Old Car End Run I don't drive my 1983 Dodge van (with a Carter Thermoquad 4 barrel carburetor) often enough to make instsalling fuel injection worth while to me. I drive it about once a month, the gas in the carburetor bowl evaporates, I have to pump the pedal a few times to get gas in there..

> >I left my 1994 Honda Civic Si parked outside for 9 months straight, and

> >it started up with less than 5 seconds of turning the engine over. Used

> >the original battery the 11 years I had the car.

> My "daily" driver is like that, but I don't think I've gone more than
>
> 6 months without driving it, and of course it has fuel injection.
>
> 1993 Grand Am. Think its on its second battery.

Maybe if I drill a small diameter hole in the top of the air filter metal plate and a small diameter length of copper tubing and let the tube be right above the carburetor butterfly valves and the other end of the tube be behind the engine cover and up above the engine cover. I could use a small funnel and put a spoon full or two of gas into the tube to put some gas into the carburetor bowl. That might help to get the engine started faster. If it works I wouldn't have to remove the engine cover to prime the carburetor.
Old December 4th 13, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_14_]

"JR" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:31:36 PM UTC-6, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:51:19 -0600, "T0m $herman"
>
> > wrote:
>
> >On 12/3/2013 1:52 PM, JR wrote:

> >> Google,,, ericpetersautos.com Old Car End Run
> >> I don't drive my 1983 Dodge van (with a Carter Thermoquad 4 barrel
> >> carburetor) often enough to make instsalling fuel injection worth
> >> while to me. I drive it about once a month, the gas in the carburetor
> >> bowl evaporates, I have to pump the pedal a few times to get gas in
> >> there.

> >I left my 1994 Honda Civic Si parked outside for 9 months straight, and

> >it started up with less than 5 seconds of turning the engine over. Used

> >the original battery the 11 years I had the car.

> My "daily" driver is like that, but I don't think I've gone more than
>
> 6 months without driving it, and of course it has fuel injection.
>
> 1993 Grand Am. Think its on its second battery.

Maybe if I drill a small diameter hole in the top of the air filter metal
plate and a small diameter length of copper tubing and let the tube be right
above the carburetor butterfly valves and the other end of the tube be
behind the engine cover and up above the engine cover. I could use a small
funnel and put a spoon full or two of gas into the tube to put some gas into
the carburetor bowl. That might help to get the engine started faster. If it
works I wouldn't have to remove the engine cover to prime the carburetor.

Wrong yet again, the loss of fuel isn't due to the gas
evaporating. TQ's were notorious for well cap leaks
draining the float bowls. They were commonly fixed
with Delco Remy Epoxy Compound#1966807,
normally used for setting rectifiers. I still have some.