'01 M3 Diff oil

Old September 8th 08, 04:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

Default '01 M3 Diff oil

Hi All.

Is there a required or recommended differential lube for my 2001 M3 Coupe?
TIA

Chris

Old September 8th 08, 05:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Sep 8, 8:04*am, "Planar1" > wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Is there a required or recommended differential lube for my 2001 M3 Coupe?
> TIA

I think what's important is that you change your differential and
tranny oil on a regular consistent basis. I use either Redline or
Purple Royal synthetic fluids every 25-30K miles. Changing fluids is
probably the easiest d-i-y job you can do at home. Good Luck!

Old September 8th 08, 05:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"Planar1" > wrote:
> Is there a required or recommended differential lube for my 2001 M3 Coupe?

The M's need a lube which can stand up to the torque and speed they
encounter. It was strongly suggested to me that RedLine 75W-140 should
be used. DO NOT use the NS suffix lube - you have a sophisticated
limited slip unit. In fact you may have to add a little more friction
modifier
to keep the growling and moaning down in turns.

Old September 8th 08, 05:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Old September 8th 08, 09:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

BTW, how much fluid does the diff hold? So I can buy the correct amount.

Old September 8th 08, 09:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"Planar1" > wrote:
> BTW, how much fluid does the diff hold? So I can buy the correct amount.

Naturally it takes about 1 1/4 quarts so that you have to buy 2.

Old September 8th 08, 11:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Planar1

Thanks!

Old September 8th 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Planar1" > wrote
> Hi All.
>
> Is there a required or recommended differential lube for my 2001 M3 Coupe?
> TIA

Look at http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...8028517-1.html
"The only approved oil is Castrol SAF-XJ 75W/140 for the limited > slip
differential in the M3"
There are indications that anything else, including possibly Redline, will
toast the diff.
I'd check with the dealer and a couple of indy shops before doing anything.

FloydR

Old September 8th 08, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

ition...

Old September 8th 08, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote:
> Look at http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...8028517-1.html
> "The only approved oil is Castrol SAF-XJ 75W/140 for the limited > slip
> differential in the M3"
> There are indications that anything else, including possibly Redline, will
> toast the diff.
> I'd check with the dealer and a couple of indy shops before doing
> anything.

Ahh ... The experts at roadfly - always trust them. BTW, they are
completely
WRONG. The castrol sometimes causes loud noises in the diff which then
requires
a different fluid again. After you try all the overpriced BMW fluids and
are
convinced there are better, then you can adventure out. Like all the
nay-sayers
about the special auto trans fluids - the 7045E and LT71141 which cost a
fortune.
Both of those specs are met and exceeded by Amsoil ATF. Anyway, the dealer
will give you the company line. It is the indies that I rely upon, and the
ones I know
endorse the Redline (but note that's why I mentioned the 75W140 - that IS
important).

What paint for diff? [email protected] Technology 4 March 20th 07 04:37 PM
Changing rear diff fluid (91 XJ): don't want to R&R the diff cover... Doug Jeep 11 May 7th 05 06:21 AM
E36 Diff Problem? mOOnEyEs BMW 4 April 19th 05 02:55 AM
diff Ossie Carter Technology 1 April 6th 05 02:37 PM
BMW diff? LPG systems BMW 4 January 1st 05 11:17 AM